Old powerd sub mother board, will it power 2 12s (single coil)

Options
So my brother gave me his old polk 10 inch powered sub for home theater. My dumbass chucced the sub and kept the guts (the motherboard and amp). I got 2 12s the other day and was gonna try and run em with my home theater system... somehow i think there barely running on 8 and thank god there actually woking. But i need more power i mean there 1100 (supposedly) peak... but there getting signal as is.
Can i use the old "guts" of the polk my bro gave me and use it to power those 2 12s and get that extra power? Or is it even worth me messing with? I cant really afford a amp at this moment...

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello, welcome to Polk's forum. Do you know what the model number of the Polk subwoofer was? That would give a clue as to the available power it has.
    Also, what is the impedance of the woofers? Are they in a box? Are you planning to connect them in series or parallel?
  • DMT_66
    Options
    The subs are (2) 4 ohm subs (single coil) sony xplode (or however u spell it) 1100 (peak) in a box. I want to run them at 2 ohms (thats the only thing that makes sense but i could be wrong). I tried wiring them multiple ways but i really think my "amp" is faulty for some reason [i did some research and it seems like the compassitors have a tendency to fail] but another problem is the light flickers green if im luccy but never stays green... honestly at this point i just wanna know what type of amp i need to run and try and get a new one. I know the subs work cause they got a lil bit of response when i wired them directly to my recciver.

Main motherboard 1750 E254717
    Magnet (big one)# H01195A
    Small (2) C00295A [x2]

AMC PSW505U
    Lot: 3063183
    120V~60Hz 300w
    T3.15AL 250V

Plz let me know if there is anything else you need and please tell me how the hell to get some real power to these single coil subs... ive been trying all i can for a total of 18 hours and still cant come up with a solution... god i feel so stupid...
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Let's see what we know so far:
    1). your subwoofer amplifier is the PSW505 and was designed to work with a 4 ohm load and probably produced around 150 watts continuous power.
    2). your receiver seems to be a stereo receiver as opposed to a surround sound receiver, which means it doesn't have a sub-out connection, which is okay.
    3). your woofers seem to be in a sealed box and if you connected them in parallel the speaker impedance would be 2 ohms and if in series 8 ohms.
    I would recommend running a right and left speaker wire from the receiver's "B" speaker connections to the corresponding right and left speaker level inputs on the subwoofer amplifier. Then run a second pair of speaker wires from the receiver's "A" speaker connections to your main speakers. Then from the front panel of the receiver select "A+B" on the speaker selector switch.
    I would recommend connecting the red and black wires of the subwoofer amplifier (the ones that would normally go to the 12" woofer) to the speaker terminals of the Sony subwoofer box. I would recommend connecting the Sony subwoofers in series to give an 8 ohm speaker load. Remember that the internal wiring of the subwoofer amplifier will be exposed and will have 110 volts available so be careful!
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Thank you so freaking much imma try this out here in a few, ill get bacc to you with the results asap. Your awesome i cant thank u enough for your help!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Good luck with your project!
  • DMT_66
    Options
    No Cigar man, the "amp" must be falty. I triple checced my wires and connections and its gotta be something internal with the amp.
    What amp would you reccomend i get that would power those subs properly (for a home theater system).
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    What is the manufacturer and model number of your receiver?
  • DMT_66
    Options
    It is a Sony STR D1090
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Is that what you needed?
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Im thinking i would need a mono blocc correct?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Thanks for the model number, your receiver has a sub-out connection which is good for connecting a subwoofer amplifier. Since you plan on paralleling the two woofers that means you will have a 2 ohm load and not many amplifiers can produce full power into that low an impedance. There would be too much current needed.
    It might be better to think of powering each woofer separately with a stereo amplifier. In other words keep each woofer separate, which would give two 4 ohm loads each one powered by a separate amplifier channel. You'll have a much easier time finding a good amplifier, with plenty of power that can work with a 4 ohm impedance.
    Most people find that Crown amplifier deliver lots of power for not much money. You will need a "Y" cable to connect the single Sony sub-out to the two inputs on the amplifier.
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have it running into the recciver in (i believe in 2 ohms) and its giving a little signal but not what i need. I just ran it in with the speaker wires for now cause there all plugged into the pos(2) and neg(2) that are labeled front spekaer if im not mistaken.

Could u send me a specific model that would go with my subs i looked at a few but i just wanna be 100 percent sure that im getting the right equipment and done 100% correct. Thanks for all your help i was loosing hope there for a lil bit
  • DMT_66
    Options
    So since i need two connections it cant be a mono blocc correct?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm not too current on what's available at present. It might be a good idea to consider digital amplifiers in this application. They seem to be reasonably priced and fairly small sized. What is your budget for the amplifier? Do you consider yourself a "bass enthusiast"? Loud special effects in movies?
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Well yes especially bacc in the day. But also considering its for my home and im not shattering my bacc windshield/s from the bass drop yes. But i dont think i need to much more push. Just enough to make em slap. Id say about 200 to 250 each....
    But my budget is... well about 100 to 150.. and thats on a good day.

Why would digital be an advantage?? And why would it be diffrent?
    So mono blocc or not??
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    For movies the bass or LFE is usually mono. If you're going to run these at 2ohm then most home theater amps do not like going lower than 4 ohm. In your case maybe Behringer or Crown https://www.behringer.com
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited September 2022
    Options
    There is a Crown Audio XLi800 for $329.00, maybe find one second hand?
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Yall think i should just run em in 4? Or whatt?? Lol
  • DMT_66
    Options
    I was thinking something like this? whvqppgatqzx.jpg
    pnaknefy0716.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    No
    If you could use it, you will need 2 of these each in bridge mode

you will still need a Y cable splitter to each
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DMT_66
    Options
    The funny thing is i have them running at 8 into the recciver itself.
    So plz just tell me what actual amp i need
  • DMT_66
    Options
    Im guessing this?? Thank yall for all yalls help so far too. Its so frustrating... but ill figure it out with yalls help 4grxf15pqog6.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Entertaining thread
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 719
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Why not look into a sub designed for home use rather than car subs? Might make setup and our suggestions a bit easier.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Ken gets a gold star and a cookie for his effort. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Thanks, Jesse. Oatmeal raisin can't be beat.
  • DMT_66
    Options
    So... update.... im going with a power supply (500w) and running it to a new amp. Ill keep ya posted n drop some pics of what im getting.