I have American Acoustic Lab Studio 4 Speakers, They sound good. What would they be worth?

eialu49tu02v.jpg4q8xppoav3g8.jpg

Best Answers

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Answer ✓
    NormMiller wrote: »
    eialu49tu02v.jpg4q8xppoav3g8.jpg

I would go to the American Acoustics Labs forum and ask there.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Refoam, refresh and some world class BS in your ad and you could be a rich man! (figuratively speaking).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    Answer ✓
    dromunds wrote: »
    Pioneer and Marantz bring stupid money. I had both back one day and neither did it for me all that much. In fact, I was downright disappointed in a Pioneer Spec amp I bought new. Now those bring ungodly money. It’s amazing how uninformed some of these so-called vintage collectors are

that's a big 10-4.

Answers

• Speaker foam deteriorated, They sound awesome, got them years ago from my brother who was having financial difficulty.
  • This is a better picture. I only found 1other in another forum and it seems to be slightly different than mine,
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    In this market... Depending on the buyer... 5 dollars to 5000
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    A goose egg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 5 to 5,000, well we are closing in on a price it is worth. Kind of like bracketing when calling in Artillery. LOL, I need a left/right adjust and a Drop Add, and fire for effect number. Thanks, LOL, I saw a company would refurbish, refoam. What would a refoam for 2 15 inch speakers cost ball park. I am a used up old Army dude and just seeing about this stuff. That is why i aks because I am an ignorant MFER who just asking questions
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited September 2022
    The drivers are possibly worth more than the speakers themselves if they're parted out. There is a limited demand for old AAL/MTX drivers on Ebay. They just weren't as popular as Cerwin Vega speakers back in the day although they were aimed at the loud party speaker market. Refoaming the 15 inch woofers would be at least $100 if someone else does it, which could be more than they're worth.

I'd either keep them as is to use in a garage, part them out and see what parts may sell on Ebay, or take them to the dump.
  • Thanks for an honest answer Emlyn
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited September 2022
    New foam and glue would be less than $50. Two days work cleaning and glueing and back in business. Running them as is, is not good for the drivers. It may even be bad for whatever you're using to drive them in the long run.

Refoaming is straight forward and fairly easy. It's just tedious and time consuming. It's not a job to try and do quickly.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Just refoam and sell for what you paid, or Karma them to someone who doesn’t have a stereo system if you don’t want them. Never like the “throw away” answer. They can be used for something.

Thanks for serving, btw. 🇺🇸
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2022
    ^^^ Good advice immediately above.
    They're... generic.
    Not useless, but nothing to write home about.
    Refoaming is not difficult. Generic foam surrounds are widely and inexpensively available and more than appropriate for those woofers.

Refoam, spruce up a little if need be (even spring for some cheap "Dayton" capacitors to refresh the crossovers, if the urge strikes) and sell 'em for what you have in 'em. Or pass 'em along in the spirit of 'spreading the seed' for hifi. :)

Someone will want them -- and be happy to have them.
    :)

PS The tweeters are piezoelectrics -- very inexpensive and rather spitty sounding when used without crossovers (they essentially work as their own crossovers), as is almost certainly the case here.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    VR3 wrote: »
    In this market... Depending on the buyer... 5 Peso's to 500 Peso's

Fixed..

• VR3
    Have you priced vintage gear?

At some of the prices I've seen, I have often wondered if it's like a money laundering or drug trafficking scheme.

The prices don't even seem real for gear that is far inferior to today's standards
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,254
    edited September 2022
    NormMiller wrote: »
    Thanks for an honest answer Emlyn

Yeah, Emlyn's one of "those" people
    Just when I'm about to post a possibly unrelated reply to the topic because I'm thinking of something self-entertainung then Emlyn steps up with an intelligent, useful, and helpful reply which would make my post look stupid.
    ...making me feel bad in comparison.

.,...dam your gawds Emlyn !
    😯🫣

Keep up the good work ,🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    VR3 wrote: »
    Have you priced vintage gear?

At some of the prices I've seen, I have often wondered if it's like a money laundering or drug trafficking scheme.

The prices don't even seem real for gear that is far inferior to today's standards

Especially when it says marantz on the front... in a funny looking font. :#

14815716390_34aebd4c3e_b.jpg
  • VR3
    There's a shop near me asking 7k for a 60s Marantz preamp... It's about 6900 to high!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Maybe Saul rubbed his dingus on it!
  • Yeah I was wondering, I had my hopes too high!! LOL k6r7swarueyq.png
  • You All Crushed my dreams though! g7mrws3e81ue.png
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Pioneer and Marantz bring stupid money. I had both back one day and neither did it for me all that much. In fact, I was downright disappointed in a Pioneer Spec amp I bought new. Now those bring ungodly money. It’s amazing how uninformed some of these so-called vintage collectors are