Blue Node...who is using one

Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    This is probably the route I'm going to go. PD Creative and using my Welbourne Labs power supply.

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2021-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

Here's a discussion thread on Audiogon that gives some great reviews/feedback.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/pd-creative

Seems like a no-brainer and I already have a great power supply. I hope I can wait at least 90 days before doing the mod. We'll see how much patience I have. I haven't built the computer/NAS for streaming my own files yet. So I'm not in a huge hurry to mod the power supply, but I'll be ordering the PSU interface soon.

I can't leave things alone, because I really hate switching power supplies and I remember the huge difference the Welbourne Labs lps made with the SQB Touch. This seems like a really straight forward swap and it gets great reviews on-line. It seems to be a very popular upgrade w/ no down side other than voiding the warranty.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    It's not a party until you pop the hood
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Haha. Haven’t even had it a week yet. I at least have to pay it off on my CC first.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    What's the fun in that? :)

Okay, so I have time to "talk" about it now. The unit is much more friendly than my Auralic G2. The sound of the unit itself would be great for a system that masks much of the sound but if you have a revealing system, the sound leaves much to be desired. When I hooked up my MF Tri-Vista DAC to the unit, the sound improved drastically.

So much so, that the MQA sounded worse than the high rez songs through the normal BS Node2 (MQA is a joke to me).

Overall, for the price? It's a hard unit to beat. Great value. Most everything else I was going to add has already been discussed and I will also add that Trey's LPS made a big difference on his Lumin. The connector cable he used (along with a specific length) made just as much of a difference, if not more of a difference, TBT.

The fact that you aren't required to be married to an Apple product just to use it is a big win for me. I have had mine for about 2 or 3 years now and I'm actually thinking about putting it back in the big rig because the Auralic presents way too many issues for me just to get a song to play.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Received the unit and I'm impressed by the heft of the unit and I like when a company spends a bit more on nice packaging. I've found it means they care. I am waiting for the appropriate length ethernet cable to arrive today. I should have it running later today with at least Qobuz.

For now I bought a hefty C7 to IEC adapter so I can use my own power cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098XJ3ZGW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2aiyzcyfgs6s.png

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

I at least have to pay it off on my CC first.
    Rookie!
    😉

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

Haha. Haven’t even had it a week yet. I at least have to pay it off on my CC first.

2z4wvnbaw0hv.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2022
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I bought the most current version (gen 3). It also has HDMI arc and a USB. It cost more the Raspberry Pi, but I feel this is going to give me less issues and should rock solid. My brother uses a Pi with Roon and he says it can be frustratingly buggy at times. He's in IT for a living so he can unbug stuff much better than I can.

H9

RPi with RoPieee? I see a lot of folks using them in the DIY community. There are numerous isolation/reclocking hats available. Ian of Canada has a great lineup that is continually upgraded. His github below. Audiophonics is a seller for his products. No affil....been looking at possibly building one.

You made a great choice with the Bluesound Node.

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/227_ian-canada#:~:text=IAN CANADA is a Canadian,improve their existing HiFi system.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    Options
    I did pull the trigger on this. I have a great lps already in the Welbourne Labs I used for my SQB Touch. I am also gong to experiment with the USB digital out and coax digital out.

And look around for any other tweaks and mod's, etc.

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2021-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

H9

• newbie308
    Options
    I just ordered a Node 2i on Friday last week after reading about it here. I'm looking forward to plugging it in and starting down the digital rabbit hole with separate DACs and upgrades.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I just ordered a Node 2i on Friday last week after reading about it here. I'm looking forward to plugging it in and starting down the digital rabbit hole with separate DACs and upgrades.

I don't know of many other places where a guy can say "I'm really looking forward to spending a schiitton of money multiple times until I get it right," and get group support doing it :DB)
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    Options
    The 2i is the older version, but there are still upgrades and of course the ability to use an external dac. Biggest differences between the current (gen3) and the 2i are no USB or HDMI, slower processor and they tweaked the dac section a little in the (gen3). Other minor differences with the buttons on the top.

Be anxious to hear your comment and journey. I still don't have mine up and running, just haven't had time to really get into it. I didn't want to half-**** it.......lol

H9
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    My only con is that your coax cable cannot have an overly large head shell, or it won't plug in all the way due to not enough clearance around the female RCA connector. My DHLabs 75 worked, but my Belden 1694A would not. I don't know if this is an issue with the Gen 3 Node.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2