BROKEN Anthem MRX 500

Options
Yes, you read that correctly - this is your opportunity to own a BROKEN Anthem MRX 500. This appears to be my first post in 7 years, and I doubt I'm going to make any new friends by starting off with this nonsense.

After a little research, I found that I purchased this AVR used via eBay in April '14 for $725 - it looks like the eBay seller was an audio store called "Good Vibes". Since being in my possession, the AVR has resided in 2 separate homes and provided a similar function each time by powering 2 in-wall speakers (first time Polk, second time Definitive - both times underutilized). In hindsight, I think the only reason I purchased an AVR was to have a couple HDMI inputs that allowed me to place all A/V equipment in a hidden closet.

Jumping ahead to today's status, the AVR has developed an issue that seems to have annoyed a few other Anthem owners as well. The AVR will go into power protection mode and shut down intermittently, which happens in as long as 10 minutes after powering on to as little as immediately after powering on. I really have no idea how long this has been going on, or if it has progressively gotten worse over any period of time as we rarely utilize this setup. So far my troubleshooting efforts include unplugging the AVR for 5 minutes and plugging it back in. Here's a discussion on Audioholics that helped me conclude I do not have the patience for an extensive troubleshooting effort. Beyond this, I called several local Anthem dealers (they understandably only want to sell new products), audio repair shops (nobody answers the phone, or returns calls - maybe they have all passed away?), and reached out to Anthem ($160 + shipping both ways + parts = an outdated AVR with way too much money stuck into it, IMO). For me, this has quickly turned into an opportunity to clear out some room in the electronics closet as I'll likely just replace it with a decent Sonos soundbar.

I'm pretty sure I still have the original box in the attic, and I'm pretty sure that box has the ARC microphone setup. If anybody from this forum with over 100 posts thinks it is worth troubleshooting this AVR, it is yours. All you need to do is POST IN THIS THREAD and send me a shipping label - I'll try to get it out the door before Labor Day weekend. I'd be shipping it from zip 77479. If there is no interest in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll eliminate the 100 post requirement.

Please do NOT PM me. I will try to check the thread daily and "dibs" will be ranked based on the order of posting in this thread.

I do NOT have weight and dimensions right now, but will replace this sentence with the info if/when I do. Rest assured though, I will NOT double-box this item.

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Sweet Karma. Nice gesture. Not in. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,481
    Options
    @szhleppy, Dibs. Just gifted my son and DIL some 3.1tl's for their first big-kid stereo and the next step is to build a system. Not like I need another project but could use this to expand my troubleshooting skills for a future project.

Son's in the military and will move every 3 years, so has decided to go w/a home-theater/2 channel setup. If I can get it to work it'd be a perfect pre to build out w/a dedicated 2 channel amp for fronts and the Anthem's internals as surround. They don't need the latest Dolby, THX, Atmos, etc... Worst case, it'll give me some practice troubeshooting, soldering, etc.

Using the dimensions from the Anthem datasheet and guesstimating for the box size, Piratship.com quotes UPS for under $60. I'm in no rush, so please let me know what works for you.

Appreciate it!

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    I will take a chance as I have a MRX500 that needs a HDMI board but otherwise works fine.

Perhaps yours will fox that.

Send me a PM and let’s figure it out.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    I'm guessin' power supply (capacitors, or a semiconductor such as a regulator), FWIW.

Seems like a good full disclosure kind of offer to me, @szhleppy :|
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I don't think anyone will take offense to this offer. Upfront and direct
    is always a good thing!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    Lot of nerve of you to come on here after 7 years and give something away. Jerk😁
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    Options
    Sorry for posting and disappearing...although you probably aren't all that surprised :). It looks like @JayCee got dibs on this. I'll send a PM with my direct contact info. If for some reason it doesn't work out for you, maybe you can part out the HDMI board to @EndersShadow.

I did pull the box from the attic over the weekend and everything is there - packing materials, ARC setup (I'm not sure it has ever been taken out of the box), manuals, remote. Hope this works out for you - I'll be happy to hear that it served a purpose for somebody rather than just being tossed into a box in my attic.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Big thanks to szhleppy...I replied to your email address and sent a text. @EndersShadow, the HDMI card...or more...is yours if I'm unsuccessful getting the AVR running. This'll be a fall project but I'll let you know the outcome.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Big thanks to szhleppy...I replied to your email address and sent a text. @EndersShadow, the HDMI card...or more...is yours if I'm unsuccessful getting the AVR running. This'll be a fall project but I'll let you know the outcome.

Ok thanks!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)