Polk Speakers or Infinity Speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Even though this is a Polk forum, please tell me in your opinion which brand you like better and which speakers So I could get them for my car.. The front speakers for my car is 6 1/2'' and the rear is 6x9.. if you guys could tell me the best speakers for the two front speakers and rear speakers that'd be great and which Polk amp would be compatible with it.. Thanks a lot fellas
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    I would go to a store which has them both hooked up to the same soundboard and listen away.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by unrealii
    I would go to a store which has them both hooked up to the same soundboard and listen away.
    my thoughts exactly
    go to Circuit City, they have both
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited June 2004
    I have all Polk in the house (check the sig) and love them...

Having said that, I prefer the Infinity line for car audio unless you're looking at the Momo component stuff...

I never thought I'd admit to liking the Infinity, but I prefer their sound over the Polk...
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    im the exact opposite, i hate the infinity tweeters, far to harsh and not as accurate
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    I can speak with some authority on this subject as I had a set of Infinity speakers in my beloved Dodge before upgrading to the Polk Momos I have now.

Infinity arent bad speakers if you listen to rap, jazz, folk or anything with clean instruments and now heavy guitar at all. The Infinitys are very bright and make any kind of rock sound very tinny. Personally I hated mine and Ill never buy an Infinity product again but thats just me.

The Polk gear, especially the Momo series, are very smooth and warm sounding. They are awesome with heavy metal and yet still play clean music very well too. I believe the Polk Audio MM6 is the best speaker on the market for under $400 and the rest of the Momo line is far superior to anything in its price league as well.

Get the Polk, youll be happier.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2004
    I dissagree....When I was looking for some comps for the Tahoe... I listened to all of Infinities lines...used spyrogyra (jazz) cd for testing. Not only did the Infinity tweeters sound harsh...but they could not handle the xzylophone (sp?) at all.. Persanally...Ifinity is one brand that I have tried many times to accepte- but they wont let me

best idea... take some familar stuff...and listen for yourslef. You will get many opinions for or agains...cause everyone has diff taste!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    Infinity used (at least when I had a set) metal tweets. This is probably why people think they are so harsh. I definitely prefer a composite or silk tweet, and Polk uses them.

As for listening to each set, I'm almost positive that CC doesn't carry the Momo line. If anything, hit up the local Tweeter or affiliate (if one is near you) and give a listen.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited June 2004
    Bknauss is right, CC no longer carries the MOMO series products, I know bc I picked up a MM2124 for $79 when they getting rid of the last of their MOMO stock.

That said I'm gonna put in a vote for the Polks, I've listened to both Polks and Infinitys at CC before they got rid of the MOMO's and agree that the Polks sound better with a warmer richer sound. Bknauss is right again about the makeup of the tweeters.

For what it is worth my personal opinion though would be if you are going to spend the money get Polk MOMO's not db series, the db's(especially the 6x9's) don't have nearly as full a sound as the MOMO's.

If you can find a set of EXIII series 6x9's for a good price I can tell you from personal experience that they are a phenomal set of speakers, they are what I just put in my rear deck with a set of EXIII 5.25 comps in my front doors all powered by a Hifonics Zeus ZX6400 and can't say enough good things about those speakers, I am in heaven everytime I start my car now!

Good Luck

-Kevin
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    infinity's have aluminum tweeters-which is why they sound so harsh
    i personally prefer the DB speakers over all the EX and DX series speakers though
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Well, JLs speakers have aluminium too and they arent bright at all. MB uses titanium and theyre fine. Metal tweeters dont necessarily mean harshness, it doesnt help though. I feel Infinitys problem is with their speaker design from stem to stern because their midrange is alwful tinny sounding too. I dont like metal for mids either. Like their CCDM cones or aluminum cones. Polypropolyne is hard to beat if its done right ala MB Quart!

I guess the point were all getting at here is to stay away from Infinity and go with Polk Audio!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2004
    Damn lol so many opinions that I have no idea which is best for me. I've tried listening to it at CC but they all sound the same and those stuff have been abused and used over and over that they don't produce the top performance they're capable of performing so it's hard to decide hehe thanks all though
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I guess the point were all getting at here is to stay away from Infinity and go with Polk Audio!
    -Well Said

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    i agree with the majority here, having had owned both brands and the good series of each for that matter i'd say polk wins hands down imo, the infinities are too harsh....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Klipsch_Fan
    Klipsch_Fan Posts: 26
    edited August 2009
    Boston Acoustic Pro Series are supreme. Well to Me anyway. The Infinity Kappa's are really good too. I'm sure Polk are right there as well.

I did My comparison's at Tweeter, found the BA Pro's awesome, but We all have different ears, well I tink anyway, hehe.

Fred
    edited August 2009
    Old-NewsRocks.jpg

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited August 2009
    hehe, i tink
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2009
    5 yrs down the line........polk is still better than infinty :D