Record store prices

Options
We went to a small town about 30 minutes from here in part to visit a record store I heard about but had never visited. The store layout was good with plenty of room to move around and the selection seemed decent, although I was looking only for certain albums(I have a list of about a dozen or so I'm looking for). I'm getting close to just ordering them from Discogs, but I like the store adventure.

I was surprised on the pricing for records at this store, most of them were $19 and up. The very small shop near here averages around $9 a record. It's a very small shop that becomes crowded with 4+ people in it. The owner allows returns if not satisfied with the record's condition.

Doesn't $19 seem high for an album that clearly hasn't been cleaned, is in a very flimsy plastic sleeve and has obvious signs of crap either stuck on the vinyl or actually in the grooves? What pricing is acceptable in your neck of the woods?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Are those $19 records new or old?
    If new, that's cheap for around here.

Our record stores suck. All of them.
    Expensive and weak selections and inventory.
    It's kind of like they apply the Craigslist model to their stores.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've pretty much sworn off buying used from local shops. Pricing is generally ludicrous. Unless it's something I'm specifically searching for that's hard to find, I'm not paying more than it sold for new umpteenth years ago. Current pricing trends will bring about the second death of vinyl IMHO.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I generally only buy sealed. My wife on the other hand buys used. I actually paid $17 for Wham last weekend. I bet you can't guess who that was for.

Prices are sky high. I recently purchased a sealed Mofi of Sgt. Peppers from 1982. But it does sounds good.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    Deals are few and far between here in the CLE.
    You have to be selective and willing to work for it, but
    you can still find some deals.

OTOH, new prices have pushed me out of the market.
    It would have to be something pretty cool to buy new
    now for me.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    $8/record probably average where I shop.

Stl/MO
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    If new $19 is below average at the stores I frequent, used in good condition varies between $8 through $15, new vinyl around $25 to $30. Picked up a used near mint Tommy Bolin Teaser the other day for $11 and a Charlie Daniels Band Fire On The Mountain immaculate used for $9 and a Johnny Van Zant Band No More Dirty Deals in near mint for $9 pretty good day.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I built most of my collection at goodwill in just a couple of trips back in 2008, before the hipsters got hip….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    The price of 'Good' vinyl is what drove me to Streaming. Not the same, but much more affordable and the selection is unlimited.

To build a decent Record Collection today would cost a small fortune, unless you luck out and buy someone else's Collection. Then you end up with a bunch of crap you basically have to give away, to end up with what you really want.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited August 2022
    Options
    All in all, you vinyl guys have it pretty good, lol. The prices on my “drug of choice”, SACD, are going through the roof. I just snagged this gem the other day at a local record shop, and the $40 price was a steal -

as4vkrtg0lzv.jpeg

I remember in the early 90’s walking in to Best Buy and shopping a 16’ section of SACD & DVDA. Average prices were $15-$20…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Well, you do get a bit more for the UHQR and at a quick glance I didn't see a negative review, the SACD does have some less than stellar remarks. Still, I'm not paying $125 for a single record...I doubt I would hear any improvement.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Well, you do get a bit more for the UHQR and at a quick glance I didn't see a negative review, the SACD does have some less than stellar remarks. Still, I'm not paying $125 for a single record...I doubt I would hear any improvement.

Exactly, a prime example of 'Diminishing Returns'.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I just picked up some vinyl yesterday from a record store in Madison that I like to frequent. Entire downstairs is used vinyl, well graded and for the most part reasonably priced. My purchases were from $3.99 to $8.99 for the most part for VG/VG to VG+/VG+, with an occasional $11.99 to $14.99. That’s not to say some LP’s weren’t out of this world sky high. I’ve noticed whereas a couple years ago any Beatle album and some other very popular LP or artists brought huge bucks now it seems the Beatles have decreased substantially in general, but not Pink Floyd. Frank Zappa still pretty high in general. This store has a “new additions” section which is pretty good as a rule. Madison is an upscale community that homes the University of Wisconsin and for whatever reason this store is able to score large collections that in quite good shape. They usually even have a few sealed originals from the 60’s and 70’s, which always blows my mind. I’ve noticed prices in general have gone up over the last few years for more popular bands/albums and especially rare albums but the real increases have been in the new vinyl.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Here’s an example of a used Wall. Youch

4318j0wlv1ja.jpeg
  • dromunds
    Options
    And for the silver spoon crowd, another Pink Floyd offering.

iwk67hufunp7.jpeg
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    It seems to me like too long ago I used to walk into used record stores and LPs were $3 to $4 a pop. Seemed to be a much bigger demand for used CDs at the time. Of course this was probably 15 years ago when stores like Best Buy still had a music section and people used to go to the mall.

:#
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    I've been around long enough to have owned all the original pressing releases of most of the very best in the 60' and 70's. IIRC, I gave $4 or $5 for the official release of DSOTM.

Over 500 of these classics were lost in a divorce many years ago :'(
  • dromunds
    Options
    Went to the record store and noticed they had a new section in the used section downstairs: “Audiophile.” A few were sealed. Prices were out of this world.

09yohjk8ehqs.jpeg
    uzb42ui6xgfc.jpeg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    17.95 original price, now 250! such a bargain.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Rip it! That's what Keiko does. And I guarantee you that 99% of the time when I rip a LP to CD, my rip sounds better than any factory redbook disc. ;)

To get the best deal requires just a little bit of patience. I used to buy the bulk of my records from the late, great George Grand right here on CP. Since his passing I've had to be a bit more conservative. I find discogs, musicstack and even fleabay to be good resources. Just choose your sellers wisely and ask lots and lots of questions. Deals are out there, you just have to work for them nowadays.

Local record stores tend to be pricier, but you have to consider the atmosphere for retailers these days. It costs money to rent these spaces and keeping the lights on ain't cheap now thanks to our resident, Corn Pop, but I digress. If you get in good with some of the business owners, you can often times score deals from them to.
  • tratliff
    Options
    I picked this box set up over the weekend at a local shop. It appears to be in excellent condition but haven’t given it a listen yet.

g55bxa0uhph7.jpeg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Looks like that Sinatra set is between $400 and $550 on Fleabay if it's the 16 album one with the Geodisc?

The used music store I used to go to was really cool until their owners started selling their best stuff online. Prices in the store went up. Once they did that there was no reason to go there if the best stuff was marked up and could be bought online anyway and what was there was junk. They effectively killed their own store.
  • tratliff
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Looks like that Sinatra set is between $400 and $550 on Fleabay if it's the 16 album one with the Geodisc?

The used music store I used to go to was really cool until their owners started selling their best stuff online. Prices in the store went up. Once they did that there was no reason to go there if the best stuff was marked up and could be bought online anyway and what was there was junk. They effectively killed their own store.

Yes, its the 16 album with Geo.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    It still amazes me that artists like Sinatra used to put out a new album about every six months back in the '50s and '60s.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    It still amazes me that artists like Sinatra used to put out a new album about every six months back in the '50s and '60s.

And the musicians that played on those albums were very thankful. ;)
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I didn't do too gawd awful bad this weekend, up in the mountains. I sifted through a bunch of junk LP's but found a few gems....and compared to other stores I frequent? Not at bad prices either.

Got a sealed, Canadian edition LP of Bliie Eilish's - "When we all fall asleep, Where do we Go?" - $25

Sealed, original Boston's LP - "Third Stage" - $15

and a minty (looks like it's never been played) Foreigner LP - "Foreigner 4" - $10

I was most surprised about the Billie Eilish LP. I remember looking about (maybe) a year ago and the prices were through the roof....if you could even get a hold of one. The F4 LP was one I already have but I slap wore that one out as a teen. This was just to get a fresh copy with better sonics than the one I have now. All of the jackets look brand spankin' new.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I used to buy the bulk of my records from the late, great George Grand right here on CP. Since his passing I've had to be a bit more conservative.

Tru dat! Folks here didn't realize what an asset he was to the forum. All that typing, scouring, listing, shipping and more he did on his own time, and for a great cause. I probably got more than just a couple hundred albums from him and most (if not all) were better than he described.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    Options
  • Keiko
    edited October 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Keiko wrote: »
    I used to buy the bulk of my records from the late, great George Grand right here on CP. Since his passing I've had to be a bit more conservative.

Tru dat! Folks here didn't realize what an asset he was to the forum. All that typing, scouring, listing, shipping and more he did on his own time, and for a great cause. I probably got more than just a couple hundred albums from him and most (if not all) were better than he described.

Tom

Yeah, I miss him too and think of George often. I was just spinning some classic, southern rock, Molly Hatchet LPs a couple nights ago that I scored from him. We had a lot in common and wish I had an opportunity to meet him, which I believe I will on that great day of our Lord. George was/is truly one of a kind.

Edit: Tom, you may send that Boston, Third Stage LP to me asap. I'll PM you with my info shortly. ;)

All joking aside, to find that still sealed and for only $15.00 is a very nice find. I bought a sealed copy of Double Vision from George Grand a few years back from one of his sales. I don't think he charged me more than $5.00 for it.

How do you like your Animals Box Set? Played mine once, put the LP in a nice, MoFi type inner sleeve and stored it away. I have an upsampled, 192k CD rip in my NAS for regular playing that sounds excellent.