Has anyone seen this before? Are they worth repairing? RD0194-1 the way to go?

Options
I'm new to the forum, only day 2. I have several sets of Polks but newer stuff, still 20 years old. I just acquired a pair of 10Bs, it's in the serial on the back and look exactly like the pic from Spidey7. I plan on setting up a "listening room" and just getting into it. I've always had vinyl and just getting back into it after years. I have a Yamaha HTR-5590 which is pretty decent to me but I'm building. I have a Sansui AU-D9 and AU-D7 and several turntables, nothing to brag on except sticking to a strict budget...lol. I purchased new a month ago the Wharfedale Lintons Herritage, while only set up temporary (not placed properly) they sound really good. Been shopping for old vintage stuff for ages and the Lintons confirmed it. The 10bs were $100 and they look pretty good, could redo the grills. The thing is 1 tweeter doesn't work, verified by listening, switching between speakers and checked with a ohm meter. I think I'm keeping them anyway, is it worth it? Sorry for being so long winded here, just wanted to give some back ground and were I was going. Been looking at all the post here and it was a big help, I'm confused by what I found. They are 10bs and the tweeter matches the pics of the SL2000, but the tweeters say otherwise. I'm going to attempt to post a couple pics and if you look at the front it says, "POLK AUDIO" and "Silver Coil Dome" and has horizontal lead wires. On the back it says, just under Polk Audio, it has SL-1000. Has anyone else seen this? Again, is it worth it? Where to go from here? I also posted this on anotherf3x78b7k7iwt.jpg
qmh8b949z7a2.jpg
post(Spidey7).Thanks for the help!

Best Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Definitely SL2000, yes the RD0194 would be a replacement and much better tweeter.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For sure RD0-194's! I swapped mine out a while back and the improvement was profound.

And welcome tunafish to CP!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Must've been using up the old labels. I've heard they were known to do things such as that :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Must've been using up the old labels. I've heard they were known to do things such as that :)

For sure!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It was a plastic SL1000. Gotta give Polk that.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Answers

• tunafish
    Options
    Thanks for the feed-back, I really appreciate it. Quite sure I need to replace the tweeter in both speakers to keep them matched and guessing that all agree it is worth fixing. I certainly do, the one working sounds pretty good. Thanks all!