Stupid things you've done with your audio system

Options
I recently got a new pair of stand mounts and have been spending some time trying to get them positioned optimally. I also have been swapping two pair of speaker cables back and forth for comparison.
Yesterday I decided to spend some serious time with the speakers and finally get them set up right. So I spent about 2 hours and during this time I thought I detected something was slightly amiss but since I wasn't really accustomed to the speakers yet I kind of blew it off.
So I thought I finally had them set up pretty good so I decided to swap the speaker cables and this is what I discovered :^ /
Anybody see something wrong? Ignore the gray wires, they're going to my subwoofer.

I don't know how far I had my head up my butt when I did that but it must have been all the way. And it definitely explains the 'something amiss' I thought I was hearing.
vsqw0il30a7l.jpg
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Left output going to both L and R speakers?
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Yep....I didn't even know you could do that with those Furutech's. Boy did I feel stupid. Not to mention wasting 2 hours trying to set the speakers up.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Well, nothing quite like that...but I was having some hissing sounds in the L channel. Swapped in some other tubes into the pre and turned it up gradually. Got the dial way past 1/2 way and I thought, man these tubes are the answer. Forgot to turn on the power amp :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Lol! Love it

Mono rules!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Crazy! And very cool of you to share!

I've done similar with IC's, hooking up the left to say Aux1, and the right to Aux2, and trying to figure it out. Swapping tubes to only find that I effed up the connections in the back!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I've never done anything stupid. :*
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Summing a center speaker output on an older preamp (mcintosh c28) with a y adapter for a sub will result in the entire system being mono. I listened to one of my very early rigs for longer than I care to admit to before I discovered that mistake.
  • verb
    Options
    Placed my 2B's smack in the corners of the basement. Lol boy was that stupid!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    Had 3 EQ's hooked up in one rig.

Keep in mind that this was when CD's first came out in the early 80's and I had grown accustomed to analog tapes (R2R and cassette) and vinyl. CD's back then were a shock to these ears. So, I had 2 EQ's for the CDP. One from the CDP to the receiver (don't knock it, I was only 12!) and another going through the tape loop within the receiver itself.

Made intolerable Heart CD's sound somewhat listenable through a pair of Klipsch Heresey's. Somewhat.

The other EQ was for the LP player for those albums that didn't, shall I say, sound very good and I wanted a little bit more here.....a little bit less there. When I was playing LP's, the other EQ on the tape loop was bypassed.

What I find hilarious about this is that millennials have no freakin' CLUE what I just said. It's akin to driving a stick shift to them.

Wait-what?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Options
    You made me laugh on the last point! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Tape Loops.
    Not a breakfast cereal.

iypoueir2cr2.png
    Not my dbx 200, but I do have one just like it someplace...
  • motorstereo
    Options
    Messing around with bi-amping with both amps running is high on my list of things that should not be attempted with an audio rig.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Several weeks ago I left a turntable spinning all night with the needle in the dead wax section. We'd been entertaining some friends, and streaming digital all night, but then I decided to toss-it-up and spin a record. When the record was over, I kinda forgot about it :# , our friends left shortly thereafter, and my wife and I went to bed. The first thing I noticed while coming down the stairs the next morning was the turntable still spinning. Fortunately (I guess), the stylus never made it to the paper label, but it left a nice, deep groove in the vinyl. I gave the stylus a good inspection with a loupe, and my USB microscope. There was no obvious damage, but of course, I'm certain that I shortened its life by about 12 hours.

I swap turntables and phono pre-amps more than anything else, so I've also had several times where I've forgotten to reconnect ICs, and/or power-on the phono pre. Before realizing there's a problem, I often say to myself, 'wow, the noise floor is REALLY low with this setup'. Um, yeah...the noise floor is truly non-existent :/
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited August 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Tape Loops.
    Not a breakfast cereal.
    w8zlxkdjoxwc.png
    Not my dbx 200, but I do have one just like it someplace...
    The amphib version
    I disabled signatures.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Let a salesman “sell” me on an Audiolab 6000CDT, stating there was only one negative review expressing concern of scratched discs, but many (and there are many) positive reviews that don’t complain of this.

Fact is I have never had a scratched disc from a tray loader or top-loader.

The Audiolab did scratch discs, and I removed it from my system.

Worst $600 spent in all my audio journey.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    Lining the entire inside of my speakers with Blackhole 5 is on top of my list..
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

So what did it sound like ?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

And Larry's already responded. You just can't see or hear him.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    Dang, @msg's on fire here of late!
    He's here 'til Thursday.
    Try the veal.
    ... and don't forget to tip your server.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It took the life right out of the speakers, it was like listening to the speakers with a sheet of drywall in front of you.

It looked fantastic, and I spent a lot of money on the material, but by far the worst money I have spent on this hobby, at least if you try a piece of gear that you think is going to kill it, only to be disappointed once you try it, you can recoup some if not all of your money back depending on what you paid for it. The journey with BH5 was just throwing it in the trash. It was horrible taking that trash bag out to the curb..
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    You might have sold it here by the square inch.
  • verb
    Options
    Took my VTL pre to the shop cause I was hearing hissing at very low levels. I did seek advice on a thread of mine, so there are collaborators! Turns out the tubes had to be replaced. Paid 75 bucks for service fee (did not buy their tubes) to tell me I should roll tubes. Tube Newbie I was!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Since I retired from a stressful job, sometimes I just shut my brain down. What we have here is the hangover shelf. Few years ago, rather than get a new, wider rack to fit the Bottlehead Eros phono stage and SUT, I made a wider top shelf. The extra width overhangs the side of the rack with no support.

I decide to pull the turntable off the rack for a main bearing oil change, lube the idler. No issues with it at all, just thought it could use it and give me something to do. I disconnect and start lifting the turntable. The right eye notices the Bottlehead Eros listing to port side. Fortunately the brain kicked in and I put the turntable down before it slid off.

Hindsight says I should have centered the wider shelf on the rack. For the fix, bend some aluminum straps to secure shelf under cross brace and screw it to bottom of shelf.

My first job was at West Side Rentals. They rented silver sets to back hoes. Joe and Bruce, father and son owned and ran the place. Big fat guys, drank beer all day. If I did something out of ignorance or just dumb, Joe would start yelling "Stupid Richee! So stupid!" When he got winded, Bruce would start in. Those are the voices I heard... :D

3rtnivaikva9.jpg

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Forgot to turn off my amp before swapping some ICs........POW
    Sounded like a rifle but no damage :o
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • motorstereo
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Forgot to turn off my amp before swapping some ICs........POW
    Sounded like a rifle but no damage :o
    Here's something I bet we've all done at some point and some of us have done it more than once B) No doubt it's a great way to soil a new pair of undergarments.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    I had a friend (Richard) that had a pair of Carver 9t's. He forgot to power down the mono blocks and proceeded to swap the speakers trying to chase down a gremlin in his system. He got one speaker off successfully and then the beams crossed. Translation? The speaker cable leads touched.

These mono blocks are stable down to 1 ohm, so they arc welded themself together until the copper just disintegrated and created the open again. Richard lost a rather decent set of speaker cables that day.

To his surprise, it did not phase the mono block amp that killed the SC. When I went down to his house a little later that week, I held the arc welded SC in my hand and it was at that point that I was amazed the amp even ran at all.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I had a friend (Richard) that had a pair of Carver 9t's. He forgot to power down the mono blocks and proceeded to swap the speakers trying to chase down a gremlin in his system. He got one speaker off successfully and then the beams crossed. Translation? The speaker cable leads touched.

These mono blocks are stable down to 1 ohm, so they arc welded themself together until the copper just disintegrated and created the open again. Richard lost a rather decent set of speaker cables that day.

To his surprise, it did not phase the mono block amp that killed the SC. When I went down to his house a little later that week, I held the arc welded SC in my hand and it was at that point that I was amazed the amp even ran at all.

Tom

Along that same route, I was talking to Bill Flannery one night. In our discussion he told me about how "robust" the outputs are on the big Sunfire amps. While repairing one he inadvertently touched both speaker posts with his screw driver, his words were "a shotgun blast goes off and suddenly my screwdriver 🪛 was absolutely welded to the speaker posts". Amp shut down I gathered up my senses and went and got another set of binding posts to replace the two melted to the screwdriver .... We had a hard laugh, he said other than the binding posts the amp was fine.
    Don't try this at home kiddie's!

I bet that was a britches soiling moment!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    My aged Joule Electra LA-100 preamp was losing output in the left channel for months, many months. When this started, I checked everything else in the stereo first. I then learned that when this happened I could switch it from operate to standby and then back to operate, and 99% of the time it would be fine, for a few minutes or hours. This got frustrating given that there’s a 45-second wait for it to come back on. I cleaned the tube pins and sockets and then did a lot of tube wiggling when it happened. Then I swapped all the tubes at one time or another. Still happened. Then a tech friend suggested a problem with one of the power supply capacitors. Ordered the whole set of replacements and made sure that I could still solder after a 40+ year hiatus. Got them all replaced and did a little dance when it came back on afterwards. But it still cut out! So I shot some Deoxit into the back of the off-standby-operate-mute switch. The problem was solved!
  • verb
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Since I retired from a stressful job, sometimes I just shut my brain down. What we have here is the hangover shelf. Few years ago, rather than get a new, wider rack to fit the Bottlehead Eros phono stage and SUT, I made a wider top shelf. The extra width overhangs the side of the rack with no support.

I decide to pull the turntable off the rack for a main bearing oil change, lube the idler. No issues with it at all, just thought it could use it and give me something to do. I disconnect and start lifting the turntable. The right eye notices the Bottlehead Eros listing to port side. Fortunately the brain kicked in and I put the turntable down before it slid off.

Hindsight says I should have centered the wider shelf on the rack. For the fix, bend some aluminum straps to secure shelf under cross brace and screw it to bottom of shelf.

My first job was at West Side Rentals. They rented silver sets to back hoes. Joe and Bruce, father and son owned and ran the place. Big fat guys, drank beer all day. If I did something out of ignorance or just dumb, Joe would start yelling "Stupid Richee! So stupid!" When he got winded, Bruce would start in. Those are the voices I heard... :D

3rtnivaikva9.jpg

Nice save though! The OCD in me would've like you said made it centered. :)