This is kind of cool - if you happen to be in or near Arizona

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited August 2022 in Speakers
A (current production) speaker-centric shindig:
"18 Speaker Exhibition Saturday August 27th, 2022 in Fountain Hills, Arizona"
It would cost ya 10 smackers, but it's a way to get ears on a bunch of different, currently pretty well respected loudspeakers in an time-efficient (and maybe even meaningful) manner. :)

Full disclosure: I saw this at ASR:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/18-speaker-exhibition-saturday-august-27th-2022-in-fountain-hills-arizona.36099/

Ad flyer PDF attached.

PS One of the eighteen is the R200 L200! :)
Zut alors!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Hey that's pretty cool! Great way to get ears on a lot of different types of bookies. Man there are some very polar opposite speaker designs in that group aren't there?

Would be cool to tally up people's rankings of their favorite speakers! I would be curious to see where the L200s land on that list.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    That would be cool. Wish I were closer.
  • mhardy6647
    The current production "KLH 5" seems a wee bit out of place... but it's certainly a loudspeaker I'd be interested in hearing.

The ASR-esque crowd seemed to prefer the Wharfedale Linton to the 5 -- based on "metrics", of course. :|

https://youtu.be/9jyiBDmESLU

I've heard neither, so even I am loath to speculate. B)
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I haven’t seen measurements of the KLH 5, but I have seen the Wharfedale Linton measurements, which actually have an underdamped bass and relatively early high frequency roll-off (I’d still like to hear them, and probably would enjoy them, if gratuitously).

Would have expected ASR folks to turn up their nose at these.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    I think directivity errors (e.g., around crossover points) get them huffier than rolloffs.
    They do love the R200, for better or for worse and FWIW. Pretty OK with the L200, too, but I think there's been more R200 stuff than L200 stuff posted there (and not just by me!). :)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited August 2022
    Mr. Hardy,
    How many posts do you have on ASR? Just saying curious.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Mr. Hardy,
    How many posts do you have on ASR? Just saying curious.

a.
    lot.

:)

I like the place for two objective ;) reasons.
    1) it is very, very active (most hifi fora are nigh-on moribund as most of that action has moved to other, more modern platforms) :(
    2) "they" test lots and lots (and lots) of stuff that I'd know nothing about otherwise -- and lots of times they pop the top and show the guts. I like that kind of stuff.

I just kind of ignore the more dogmatically objectivist stuff. :|
    Well, usually -- once in a while, I poke the bear. Gingerly.
    I always try to maintain a pretty consistent user interface, no matter where I go in cyberspace, using the same moniker & whatnot. I'm an open book. ;)