Can I mount the Polk MM6502 6.5" component woofer in a sealed enclosure?

Options
I have small speaker pods that, when installed correctly will make a sealed enclosure. I have heard these were more designed to be free-air and could damage the woofer if sealed in. It would be nice to seal them up to keep the elements out from behind.

Best Answer

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    It won't damage the speaker, what it will do is change its frequency response. The air inside the enclosure will alternate between being compressed and rarefied as the cone moves forward and backward. These changes in internal air pressure act as brakes on the movement of the cone reducing its movement at lower frequencies. The speaker was designed to use the natural stiffness of the suspension supports (surround and spider) to control the forward and rearward cone movement and not require the compressed/rarefied air behind it.

6ome92w4wuqp.png

Answers

• Grossbauer
    Options
    It won't damage the speaker, what it will do is change its frequency response. The air inside the enclosure will alternate between being compressed and rarefied as the cone moves forward and backward. These changes in internal air pressure act as brakes on the movement of the cone reducing its movement at lower frequencies. The speaker was designed to use the natural stiffness of the suspension supports (surround and spider) to control the forward and rearward cone movement and not require the compressed/rarefied air behind it.

6ome92w4wuqp.png

Thank you. I will vent the space behind the speaker to allow it to perform as designed.