Polk SDA Set Up/Room too large?

Options
Texas42
Texas42 Posts: 404
I’ve read on the basic set up for Polk SDA speakers and am currently looking at the possibility of picking up a pair of the larger SDA speakers. I’m concerned my listening position might be too far back (from the speakers) to take advantage of the SDA impact. I have a large family room these would be in. Room dimensions are 21’ long by 17’ wide. Speakers would be about 4’ feet from the back wall and side walls and out in the room. Speakers would be about 6-7’ (inside of cabinet to inside of cabinet) apart and about 15’ from the listening position. I’m wondering if the SDA effect would be minimized unless I am more equidistant from the speakers (say 8-10 feet away since the speakers would be 6-8 feet apart). Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions or anyone else have SDAs in a large room or sits back a ways from them that can comment?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    4' from the back wall is going to affect bass in a big way. They do much better closer to the back wall. 4"-6" is recommended.
  • Texas42
    Options
    If I put them closer to the wall that will increase the distance of the speaker to the listening position.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Texas42 wrote: »
    If I put them closer to the wall that will increase the distance of the speaker to the listening position.

Being a sealed design they need the rear wall to reinforce the low end. That far into the room could diminish low end to almost nil.
    That was the problem I ran across when the big boys came out. Audio stores treated them like normal speakers (which they are not). I came away disliking them with a disdain, they made every instrument sound 10'tall/long. Once I heard a pair set up properly I had to have some. It's a night and day difference.
  • Texas42
    Options
    Sounds like I should pass on them as I’m not sure how well they would fill a room or image from 18 feet away.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Move your listening position. Do you want to enjoy the music properly or want it to look pretty?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Texas42 wrote: »
    I’ve read on the basic set up for Polk SDA speakers and am currently looking at the possibility of picking up a pair of the larger SDA speakers. I’m concerned my listening position might be too far back (from the speakers) to take advantage of the SDA impact. I have a large family room these would be in. Room dimensions are 21’ long by 17’ wide. Speakers would be about 4’ feet from the back wall and side walls and out in the room. Speakers would be about 6-7’ (inside of cabinet to inside of cabinet) apart and about 15’ from the listening position. I’m wondering if the SDA effect would be minimized unless I am more equidistant from the speakers (say 8-10 feet away since the speakers would be 6-8 feet apart). Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions or anyone else have SDAs in a large room or sits back a ways from them that can comment?

I had 1.2TL’s set up in a 19x15 for space, with the listening position 11 feet off the front plane of the speakers. They sat 7 feet apart on the long wall and they were amazing, to the point they could overpower the room with ease. Your space will not be an issue whatsoever if you are willing to set them up as they should be. Distance from the back wall and side walls are very important.

Pictures of the space will help us help you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson