Some People Gotta Learn The Hard Way

Options
IME, most people have bought and sold gear throughout their audiophile journey and along the way, became a little too familiar with something they had, sold it, only to discover they were entirely dissatisfied with the gear that replaced it.

This thread is for sharing those before and after experiences.

What equipment do you regret selling, and what piece of garbage took its place?
CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I regret selling nothing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I’m going to share a double-negative; a from-bad-to-worse scenario.

Many years ago I was seeking to get my first experience with tube sound and purchased a new Musical Fidelity x-10v3. Right away I hated this thing, it sounded bright, brittle, added unwanted gain (though, minor) and always sounded like it was out of phase. This persisted with break-in, swapping L/R interconnects, etc. I just could never get natural sound, and certainly, none of the tube characteristics I kept reading about in reviews.

I returned this for store credit with the reputable e-tailer I purchased it from, and replaced it with a pair of Epos ELS-3 speakers that were all the rage in reviews at the time. Talk about a swift kick to the cajones. These were the worst speakers I had purchased up to that point. Even my long-gone first audiophile purchase (Boston Acoustics CR9s), with way too prominent of highs, destroyed the Epos in terms of bass, coherence, and smoothness. In comparison, the Epos treble was grainy and somewhat rolled off in the upper registers, mandated a sub due to early low-frequency roll-off, and they just didn’t do anything particularly well. They were midrangey, and one could see the 5 1/4” driver straining under moderate loudness.

One might say, “What do you expect from such a small speaker?” My answer is “Sonics at least as good as many various such Polk Audio speaker designs, or my Wharfedale 10.1s, or KEF Q100s.” All of which I have purchased at or below the $330/pr. price I paid for the Epos at the time.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I'm with Tom. I've been lucky to always move up and have no regrets. But, I am super anal about doing the research, reading the articles, reading reviews, taking advice from those in the know, etc. I drag my feet and it takes me a long time to pull the trigger for the very reason this thread talks about. I also rarely sell the piece I'm replacing until I'm sure about the new piece.

I have had a couple disappointments in the secondary office rig, mostly some gear that didn't live up to the hype. Not necessarily a poo poo piece, just had higher expectations about how it would perform.

I've never had a piece of gear that I thought "that really stinks".

I was never thrilled with the complete performance of the LSi9's. They did most things well, but they had a very unnatural mid-range hump in the frequency response that I never could swallow. Shortly after I sold those I think Trey attributed it cross-over components and he did his magic on LSI9 crossovers and I think that eliminated the frequency anomaly.

There was a time when GD Audio dac's were all the rage. They seemed to be a great company with lots of knowledge and deep dives into the design of the gear. I bought a used piece from Tony, had in the office rig and it just never floated my boat. Might have been my high expectations???

Generally on the lower end of the price spectrum you get what you pay for. A $250/pair of bookies isn't going be a giant killer. I bought a pair of Athena bookies after many glowing reviews thinking these $250/pair of speaker was going to perform like a $1K pair. Not even close, they sounded like a really good pair of $250 speakers.

Fast forward to the R200's and those blew me away. I was skeptical, but I listened to many on here about what a great speaker they were for the $$$ and then realized they performed way above their price point..............and that's the kind of gear I try and gravitate towards

H9

P.S. I don't rotate gear near as much as some on here.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jbreezy5
    edited July 2022
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I'm with Tom. I've been lucky to always move up and have no regrets. But, I am super anal about doing the research, reading the articles, reading reviews, taking advice from those in the know, etc. I drag my feet and it takes me a long time to pull the trigger for the very reason this thread talks about. I also rarely sell the piece I'm replacing until I'm sure about the new piece.

I have had a couple disappointments in the secondary office rig, mostly some gear that didn't live up to the hype. Not necessarily a poo poo piece, just had higher expectations about how it would perform.

I've never had a piece of gear that I thought "that really stinks".

I was never thrilled with the complete performance of the LSi9's. They did most things well, but they had a very unnatural mid-range hump in the frequency response that I never could swallow. Shortly after I sold those I think Trey attributed it cross-over components and he did his magic on LSI9 crossovers and I think that eliminated the frequency anomaly.

There was a time when GD Audio dac's were all the rage. They seemed to be a great company with lots of knowledge and deep dives into the design of the gear. I bought a used piece from Tony, had in the office rig and it just never floated my boat. Might have been my high expectations???

Generally on the lower end of the price spectrum you get what you pay for. A $250/pair of bookies isn't going be a giant killer. I bought a pair of Athena bookies after many glowing reviews thinking these $250/pair of speaker was going to perform like a $1K pair. Not even close, they sounded like a really good pair of $250 speakers.

Fast forward to the R200's and those blew me away. I was skeptical, but I listened to many on here about what a great speaker they were for the $$$ and then realized they performed way above their price point..............and that's the kind of gear I try and gravitate towards

H9

P.S. I don't rotate gear near as much as some on here.

^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
    These are great examples of the purpose of this post.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Wait, what?!
    You can sell this stuff!?

Umm... 'scuse me... I've got... umm... something to do...

What are the odds so we can get the betting going? :) I'm amazed by what folks out your way have dumped for you to rescue.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Two times

Rt35i to the rti70, definitely not an upgrade

Tyler acoustics taylo 7u to the Tyler decade d2, by and large the worst upgrade ever and thankfully there was a return policy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    My one recommendation would be to think twice about selling a good amplifier. Sources, preamps, speakers, cables can come and go as technology changes but any decent amp can always be used for something and they can usually be repaired or refreshed if necessary.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I wish I did not send back the pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers that I reviewed.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    I avoid sellers remorse by not selling my stuff. It just accumulates and drives my wife crazy.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I’m one that buys then gets rid of what I don’t want.

A few items i did not care for.

Polk
    SDA 3.1TL
    15TL
    11TL

Emotiva XPA 2

MF CD/SACD Player, wouldn’t play SACD

The 3.1’s were in rough shape when I brought them home, if the end caps would have been removable like other SDA’s i might have considered restoring them. It may just be what they needed.
    Some people love the 15 and 11tl’s, I did not like them at all, I do like the look of the 15tl’s, the people that love these speakers would hate me to know these are in Polk Audio heaven..

The Emotiva XPA 2 was the quickest piece of gear to come in and out of this house.

The MF was a nice piece of gear, but I couldn’t get it to play SACD, so I couldn’t fully fall in love with it..

I only have one piece of gear i wish i had kept, and that is the Adcom GFP 750. With that said I probably still wouldn’t be using it, so hopefully it’s keeping someone from murdering/smiling when they turn it on.
  • jbreezy5
    Options

Great post @Toolfan66. Thanks!

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I had a sunfire signature II 625x2 that was re-done by Rolland. I sold it to " upgrade " to a McIntosh mc402. Outside of beautiful looking and heavy as heck, i realized it was not an upgrade. It was a change in sound but not an upgrade. After living with the 402, I thought the sunfire sig II was the better sounding unit. I believe Craig still has this unit.

Another unit I got rid of and regretted was the Audio Research sp16 and Jolida cd player. It took a bit to find a tube cd player that did sacd and had that bloom and magic the jolida had but, i finally did with the cayin. Sometimes I also regret selling the Legacy Focus and SDA 1.2.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I love my system. I have some extra stuff in my closet I wish I didn't have right now but not that it failed to impress me but because I don't have a 15 bedroom mansion with a half dozen listening rooms. Of course that could all change because I bought a Mega millions ticket last Friday when the jackpot went over a billion dollars....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I love my system. I have some extra stuff in my closet I wish I didn't have right now but not that it failed to impress me but because I don't have a 15 bedroom mansion with a half dozen listening rooms. Of course that could all change because I bought a Mega millions ticket last Friday when the jackpot went over a billion dollars....

You didn't win 😜
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @VR3 - looks like in both cases switching from simpler to more complex designs.

erniejade wrote: »
    I had a sunfire signature II 625x2 that was re-done by Rolland. I sold it to " upgrade " to a McIntosh mc402. Outside of beautiful looking and heavy as heck, i realized it was not an upgrade. It was a change in sound but not an upgrade. After living with the 402, I thought the sunfire sig II was the better sounding unit. I believe Craig still has this unit.

Another unit I got rid of and regretted was the Audio Research sp16 and Jolida cd player. It took a bit to find a tube cd player that did sacd and had that bloom and magic the jolida had but, i finally did with the cayin. Sometimes I also regret selling the Legacy Focus and SDA 1.2.

I heard an SP16 back in the day driving a large Classe stereo amp and a pair of B&W 800 Nautilus at a dealer.

That made those speakers listenable, giving a slight softening to the treble and introducing some nice instrumental texture.

I also regret not purchasing it at that time, it was a dealer demo for $1500.

• VR3
    edited August 2022
    Options
    The decade series was extremely over damped internally. They had no output or dynamic range, woofers bottoming at 80db, a true mess.

The rti70 had a really veiled sound
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »

You didn't win 😜

Crap!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I’m one that buys then gets rid of what I don’t want.

A few items i did not care for.

Polk
    SDA 3.1TL
    15TL
    11TL

The 11TL is one that I haven't been able to bring myself to part with. I guess I have lower standards. Keeps things cheaper that way.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    I don't regret selling much of anything over the past 20 years...
    Perhaps my Luxman R-117, got it for $50, but I never really had a place for it (and still don't).
    Perhaps the Technics SL1200mkII that I picked up from a DJ in new condition for $140. I think I sold if for $250 before the price went through the roof on those. I still think they are one of the best simple vinyl playback setups. Yes, my VPI is much better, but it is more finicky.
    I'm sure there will come a day when I regret selling my recently departed Sony SS-M9, but that probably won't be until I move to another place, that may or may not have been a good match for the big Sonys. Regardless, I'm not one to keep a huge amount of surplus gear in storage, especially not 300lbs of speaker that take up 10 sq-ft of floor space.
    I loved the sound of my big LSA Integrated Amp, but after the 1st repair, I didn't have confidence that it wasn't going to end up back in the shop. I was, and am still glad it sold. I am quite happy with the W4S combo that I have now. Maybe not as magical at working with bad recordings, but better with the good recordings.
    So I guess my point is no regrets so far.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    I wish I would have kept my Infinity RS-IIAs. My listening space was too small when I had them so I decided to sell them. Then I moved and ended up with a large space that would have been great for them.

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • VR3
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    I don't regret selling much of anything over the past 20 years...
    Perhaps my Luxman R-117, got it for $50, but I never really had a place for it (and still don't).
    Perhaps the Technics SL1200mkII that I picked up from a DJ in new condition for $140. I think I sold if for $250 before the price went through the roof on those. I still think they are one of the best simple vinyl playback setups. Yes, my VPI is much better, but it is more finicky.
    I'm sure there will come a day when I regret selling my recently departed Sony SS-M9, but that probably won't be until I move to another place, that may or may not have been a good match for the big Sonys. Regardless, I'm not one to keep a huge amount of surplus gear in storage, especially not 300lbs of speaker that take up 10 sq-ft of floor space.
    I loved the sound of my big LSA Integrated Amp, but after the 1st repair, I didn't have confidence that it wasn't going to end up back in the shop. I was, and am still glad it sold. I am quite happy with the W4S combo that I have now. Maybe not as magical at working with bad recordings, but better with the good recordings.
    So I guess my point is no regrets so far.

That is why I never considered that lsa amp, the amount of broke units in the sold history in hifi shark was staggering