MW6500 substitute

Options
Hello everyone. I have some little Polk 4's with the MW6500. The one driver is sitting at 7ohms so I am looking for a substitute or recone kit.

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    That's not far off the spec. of 6.50 Ohms. What does the other one read?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rmichanz
    rmichanz Posts: 6
    Options
    I bought one off eBay and the pic showed 7 ohm also but when I got it today the voice coil was seized.
  • rmichanz
    Options
    The other original is fried. OL and melted in the magnet.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited July 2022
    Options
    rmichanz wrote: »
    I bought one off eBay and the pic showed 7 ohm also but when I got it today the voice coil was seized.

Well first off I'd put a claim in through eBay because it was either faulty when sent, or not packed with sufficient cushioning materials.

Don't throw the driver out because it can be repaired (the seized one that is). It would take heroic efforts to repair the "fried" one because you would have to replace the voice coil with a made in China one from eBay, which would have slightly different parameters from the other one and might not be perfectly enough matched for critical listening.

Best bet is to put in a saved search on eBay for some original ones. They do come up but sometimes it takes a wait, as you probably know.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rmichanz
    Options
    I will keep it unless the guy wants it back. It was packed very well so I think it was seized before it was shipped. I know the rarity of this model and most all the MW series are available except this one. Thanks for the insight and I appreciate it.
  • rmichanz
    Options
    He graciously gave me my money back.
  • cwetherington
    Options
    rmichanz wrote: »

I’m wondering if maybe you got the mate to the one I ordered about two weeks ago. Same driver, voice coil was seized up when I got it. When I messaged the seller he said he had one other that was the same way(meaning the voice coil didn’t allow the speaker to move on the other one either) and that it was normal it was “supposed to be that way” but quickly refunded it when I pointed out it wasn’t normal for the speaker to do that and didn’t want it sent back since it wasn’t exactly a candidate for resale. This was last week so your comment made me extremely curious lol. Anybody have a link or anything to directions on fixing this seized up voice coil if I decide to do it myself? I’m not new to speaker repair but I’m no old pro either so I’d appreciate anything that might give me a better chance at success!