Early polk monitor 10s upgrades.

bullet150
bullet150 Posts: 40
edited July 2022 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all, hopefully soon I'm going to finally get around to doing some tlc on my early monitor 10s. Since it's been so long since I last asked figured I'd get some fresh opinions on what, if anything I should attempt to do to my 10s. I have attached photos of all the woofers radiators and tweeters on both speakers.
The material under the metal baskets(assuming it's mortite) feels soft on what is exposed. Should I attempt to remove the woofers and jb weld the Magnets? If so what is the list of materials I will need to do so and put the woofers back in? Also should I go to hurricane nuts? If so what will I need for that? Any advice opinions or thoughts on upgrades are appreciated. I would love to give these the tlc they may need but also don't want to risk trying to open them up and do more damage than good.

2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll

Comments

• bullet150
    bullet150 Posts: 40
    edited July 2022
    k01ds1jh6pt9.jpg
    wla9chzx08c4.jpg
    ii6r5h2mg3mm.jpg
    etdnvzrk751q.jpg
    lw7q7ageys6p.jpg
    90qc2xupxlsd.jpg
    5k8o4r7xmeeg.jpg
    1ox6x1mrw5fb.jpg
    4nifo4q0e7zr.jpg
    u4ky2y9qxodl.jpg
    fq3qm3tjawax.jpg
    fn822tkja942.jpg

2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,426
    I guess I feel like ya need to re-read all the suggestions on removal techniques given 2-1/2 years ago and decide which one(s) to try and take out one of the MW drivers or a passive and see how it goes first.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform