To all you vinyl guys...

Options
I need some recommendations concerning cleaning records. I know, I've been over the internet and learned some things, mainly that practically no-one agrees on the best way to do this.

My wife, of all people, wants to listen to records again. So, being the good husband I am,
I agreed (reluctantly). Now I have a turntable sitting in the box on the floor, unopened as of yet, mainly since I don't know where I'm going to place it. This was the last, and I mean the last, thing I thought my wife would request concerning audio. As a matter of fact, this is the first time she actually ever requested anything audio, at least as it pertains to my stuff.

So, that's the backstory. I'm not looking to spend hundreds or thousands just to clean records. Something that's fairly cheap and quick. If that's even possible nowadays.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2022
    Options
    You can get one of these label savers and sink wash. Don't use harsh detergents. I'd recommend distilled water to wash and rinse, microfiber towel dry. Some folks just use tap water to wash and rinse. That can lead to unwelcome deposits in the grooves. There are inexpensive spin clean products too.

The polyester in microfiber towels has a low melting point. When washing and drying microfiber, never use high heat or the fibers will melt together. Then they don't absorb well and can possibly scratch your records.

t9uwpx3jey6a.png

https://www.amazon.com/Groovmaster-Label-Saver-Record-Cleaner/dp/B00NP0QAOW
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    Options
    Agree, carbon fiber brush is a good starting point to remove dust and lint. A critical step is to place LPs in a non-static inner album cover once they are dust and lint free. Saves time. Actually cleaning other stuff out of the grooves with liquid and a vacuum based machine is more complicated and not necessary if someone just wants to put an LP on for casual listening with the clicks and pops. A lot really depends on the quality of the turntable and cartridge.

:)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Don’t buy records and they’ll never get dirty!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    I enjoy cleaning records and have tried all kinds of methods. On a budget having to go with a single method, I have to say this would be my go-to out of all. It's like the Spin-Clean idea, but modeled after the Knosti. Uses removable, opposing goat hair brushes, and comes with a drying stand in the base.

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Styl-Groove-Record-Washer/dp/B01M0LRLM5/

Make your own cleaning solution with @jdjohn 's formula.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    Real good ideas including don't do it above.

If I was starting today in a small way I would just buy new.
    Get a list from the Mrs. of what she fancies and go from there.

AFA cleaning, I use three different 32 oz. bottle solutions.

The first for cleaning new records consists of;
    Distilled water
    1 drop of triton x-100
    Isopropyl alcohol

Shake the mixture of water and Triton x-100 then put enough
    alcohol in to dissolve the bubbles.

I usually rinse with distilled water after cleaning.

dirty records get;
    Distilled water
    3 drops of triton x-100
    1-3 drops of all natural dishwashing detergent
    Isopropyl alcohol
    1-16 drops of any pre-made record cleaning wash on hand

Shake the mixture then put enough alcohol in to dissolve the bubbles.

You might come to hate wiping LPs w/ a cloth real quick
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I'm shocked that this was even suggested! :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I think the Spin Clean (or the version @msg mentioned) are a great starting point. They require a little more work on your part, but they do a pretty good job. I’ve considered moving up to something nicer, but I’m still using the Spin Clean.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I got my son (so I can use it too) a Record Doctor V and it seems to do very well. Occasionally, like now, Audio Advisor has a demo unit on sale. https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1RDV . There is also an updated version VI https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1RDVI.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Now that is funny right there!

Thanks for the recommendations! Seems everything has negative reviews, nothing really stands out. I've read that the brushes start losing bristles, "spin" cleaners scratch records or leave films on them, yada yada. I think I'll start with a brush, see what happens and go from there...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    ..."spin" cleaners scratch records...

Can't do more harm than a diamond being dragged across it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Spinclean scratches records? Wherever you read that stop reading there. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    You could start with a kit like this:
    mhr29t8mm9hs.png
    Use the dry bristle brush for cleaning debris off 'new-to-you' records, then follow-up with a semi-wet cleaning step, using the felt brush after moistening it with several drops of the record cleaning solution. This can be done with the record on the turntable platter, and I normally let the motor spin the platter for the wet clean. To help facilitate drying, use the dry bristle brush again with the platter still spinning. Of course, use the dry brush before each playback, and gently use the stylus brush as well.

For an RCM, particularly the Spin-Clean or Knosti type, here's my home-brew cleaning solution.
    Ingredients:
    *Triton X-100 (standard grade...I don't know how many grades exist)
    *Hepastat256 (this is a 'Quat', and this product's concentration is what works for my proportions)
    *99% Isopropyl alcohol
    *Distilled water

In a big measuring cup, add the following:
    - 25ml of isopropyl alcohol; measure using a smaller cup, and then pour into the large measuring cup.
    - 0.75ml of Triton using a pipette; it dissolves quicker in the alcohol than in water, so that's why we add it here; stir it around a bit. Rinse the pipette inside and out - suck water into it and squeeze out several times.
    - 0.25ml of Hepastat256. Rinse the pipette again and then set it aside for the next time you need to make a batch.
    - Fill the rest of the measuring cup to 500ml with distilled water, and stir.

The quat (Hepastat256) is useful as an anti-fungal/mold agent, and it adds a microscopic layer of anti-static protection. Something about positive ions and such. Quats are used as disinfectants in labs, commercial applications, and the hospitality industry. I keep a diluted mixture in a spray bottle under the kitchen sink for disinfecting countertops. Since only a ml or less is used in each batch, I have enough to last a few lifetimes. If anyone wants a vial of it, send me a PM.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Where can you get the Hepastat in small quantities?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    edited July 2022
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    The quat (Hepastat256) is useful as an anti-fungal/mold agent, and it adds a microscopic layer of anti-static protection.
    The quat Jody recommends is a magic anti-static component. I can't get over how well it works for how small an amount is used in Jody's formula.

I've tried a couple of other formulas, one using Triton-X, distilled, and 99% ISO in slightly different ratio without the quat, and also sprung for that L'Art du Son stuff. I prefer Jody's formula over both of those.

Also, never scratched a record or had any issues with losing the goat hair bristles on the Vinyl Styl Deep Groove Record Washer I linked above. I don't know who manages that, but I suspect operator error or poor hygiene. I follow up washes with a distilled rinse, as well as rinsing, cleaning and drying the apparatus after washes, but some care of the cleaner is to be expected. Do be mindful of the water level when using that unit. The o-ring clamp helps a lot, but I've had a few labels get wet. Annoying, but not a huge deal to me, but I'm not looking to turn and sell records either, so...

I like that Ultimate Care Kit posted above. Great starter.

A word to the wise - be careful with those brushes that flip out. In my early vinyl days, I went to quickly brush a bit of lint off a record I had in my hand just before sleeving, and managed to drag the sharp corner across the (somewhat-rare) record not just once, but twice! That sucked. In short, no matter what you're brushing with, make sure you have a firm grip, especially when brushing a spinning record. I've had the brush torn from my apparently girlie grip two or three times. That's always a pucker moment.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited July 2022
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    From Jody :)
    Quats ... Since only a ml or less is used in each batch, I have enough to last a few lifetimes. If anyone wants a vial of it, send me a PM.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    ... but sadly nothing beats a RCM and an Ultrasonic record cleaner IMHO.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    The quat (Hepastat256) is useful as an anti-fungal/mold agent, and it adds a microscopic layer of anti-static protection.
    The quat Jody recommends is a magic anti-static component. I can't get over how well it works for how small an amount is used in Jody's formula.

I've tried a couple of other formulas, one using Triton-X, distilled, and 99% ISO in slightly different ratio without the quat, and also sprung for that L'Art du Son stuff. I prefer Jody's formula over both of those.
    I follow up washes with a distilled rinse, as well as rinsing, cleaning and drying the apparatus after washes, but some care of the cleaner is to be expected.
    Haha...not sure about that 'magic' comment, Scott. It's based on actual science :) Quats are positively charged, which helps them cling to the vinyl, since vinyl is an insulator. The quat (mostly) balances the charge, preventing extra, unwanted positive charge from accumulating on the surface of the record. Even after a rinse, enough of the quat stays attached to the vinyl to make a difference.

I forgot to mention the need for a rinse with distilled water after the wash. Just like with a clothes washing machine, dishwasher, or even your car, you want to give a final rinse with clean water. No one leaves dirty, soapy water to try on these other items, and it's no different with records. Having said that, many RCMs have vacuum cleaners to suck the dirty water off, so a rinse in that case may be up for debate. However, for RCMs that have more of a bath approach, a follow-up rinse after the wash cycle is definitely recommended.

After the initial wash, I immediately take the record to the sink for a quick tap water rinse, then put it in the drying rack with a fan blowing across. Once I have a batch of washed records dried, I rinse the RCM thoroughly, fill it with fresh distilled water, and do a final rinse cycle. Again, I let them air-dry in the rack with a fan blowing. Wiping records with a cloth or towel will introduce static. I do admit, however, to dabbing a microfiber towel on certain spots where it looks like a streak or spot may form. For the most part, the water beads and rolls off, but there are sometimes spots where the bead doesn't roll completely off the surface.
    Quats ... Since only a ml or less is used in each batch, I have enough to last a few lifetimes. If anyone wants a vial of it, send me a PM.
    Yeah, since this stuff is normally used in commercial settings for sanitation purposes, a half gallon is the smallest quantity I've seen. That's enough to clean an entire hospital once it's diluted down to the recommended strength. I'm happy to send you a 50ml vial. That's enough to clean a LOT of records, and make some disinfectant for around the house.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    edited July 2022
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    ... but sadly nothing beats a RCM and an Ultrasonic record cleaner IMHO.
    Which ultrasonic do you use?

I'd love to try a Degritter or Audiodesk to see whether it works noticeably better, esp on albums with stubborn noise despite multiple cleaning methods.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Wire brushes scratch records.
    :|

vvy3v9fhlxbd.png
  • audioluvr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I used to use LAST record preservative on all my vinyl back in the day. Just remembered... Does anyone else here use it?

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=LARP

Edit: I remember it being a 2 part system. #1 was a special cleaner that prepped the surface and #2 was the actual preservative.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I still have some LAST. I think it’s lurking somewhere with my green marker for the edges of CDs.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I also remember the little stickers you'd put on the labels to let you know that they'd been treated and as soon as you pull out the lp to play it the stupid sticker would fall off.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    z9ppuzky1w0t.png
    8 step system. I like it. Thorough.

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    z9ppuzky1w0t.png
    8 step system. I like it. Thorough.

You'll need to adjust your anti-skating a scosche
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Before I got an ultrasonic cleaner, I used an engraver set to 'hard' and 'deep' to vibrate the record. (They short out if you submerge them).

49wgk1j1d0vf.png

I hope this isn't taken seriously. :D
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • muncybob
    Options
    Yeah, since this stuff is normally used in commercial settings for sanitation purposes, a half gallon is the smallest quantity I've seen. That's enough to clean an entire hospital once it's diluted down to the recommended strength. I'm happy to send you a 50ml vial. That's enough to clean a LOT of records, and make some disinfectant for around the house.[/quote]

PM sent

Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    @smglbrth , since I just picked up a VPI RCM from a fellow polkie, I have a record doctor V5 that I no longer need. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want to give it a whirl. PM me.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Another Polkie to the rescue!