Initial impression on the Maggie LRS

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
This has certainly been a lot of fun!

I found it very elusive finding that "Maggie Magic" till now. ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

From 2' to 6' from the front listening wall & 6" to 3' from the side wall & everything in between. I think I used 2 rolls of tape marking off the distances & taking a lot of notes after every new placement.

Tweeters in vs tweeters out was a game changer. The winner is tweeters in!

I'm sure I will keep fudging small incremental movement but for now the magic was dialed in at 52" from the front listening wall & 26" from the side walls. It was absolutely amazing how that location literally snapped everything into focus. Soundstage (left to right, height, depth) imaging, vocals to die for & bass...you name it & it was all there in spades.

Almost an earie, spooky experience to say the least!

The imaging is so precise I took away my center channel & now have the LRS performing double duty...2 channel & HT. Amazing for both!scxt3sop4hms.jpg
uua8pvbirral.jpg

I'm amazed at how well the LRS are performing.

Magnepan certainly knows what they are doing by making their entry level speakers give you that taste of the Maggie sound in hopes of you moving up the ladder in their product line. Quite possibly in the future I can imagine. But for now I am very very much enjoying them.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Great write-up!

Glad you got the sound to snap in to focus. Dipoles rock!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    That's what the audio journey is all about. Very nice!

Enjoy
    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited July 2022
    Have you tried some rock and roll yet? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc? Or Led Zeppelin if that's as far as you go
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    That's it, you're done. Time to order the next four levels up!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The MG 3.7 is the sweet spot in the range, but in that space, the 1.7 may be the right fit.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

โ€œWhen once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.โ€โ€” Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    Have you tried some rock and roll yet? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc? Or Led Zeppelin if that's as far as you go

I'm not a big fan of heavy metal but DSOTM is incredible. Full disclosure I also have a KEF KC62 sub for the bottom end. A match made in heaven!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    How come there isn't planar bookies?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pearsall001
    That's what the audio journey is all about. Very nice!

Enjoy
    H9

Yes indeed... it's all about trying different things. Some you'll like & some not so much. And having a lot of fun along the way ๐Ÿ‘
  • pearsall001
    VR3 wrote: ยป
    That's it, you're done. Time to order the next four levels up!

Sheesh!!! At least let me enjoy these guy's for awhile before even thinking of moving up the ladder.
  • pearsall001
    The MG 3.7 is the sweet spot in the range, but in that space, the 1.7 may be the right fit.

Yeah the 3.7i would definitely be the way to go but I think it's too big at 71". My ceiling height is only 77" due to a raised floor (did it to get off the concrete floor, cold as heck in the winter)
    A lot of folks say don't discount the .7 though. It seems to be a toss up between the .7 & the 1.7i.
    It seems to be an even split between them as far as customer reviews go. Either way I think it's quite a ways off before making a move. I'm going to enjoy the LRS for awhile.๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ