Early Polkstands for Monitor 7

Options
Looking to buy an original early pair.
I have a later pair to trade if that will swing a deal. Photo is an early pair.
Thanks. vo6wgvae142k.jpeg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited June 2022
    Options
    that pair is way better looking than mine. :)
    Heck, those even look better than mine did when I got 'em, but they were demos and effectively freebies (in 1978) so I'm not actually bitter...

B)

PS I know I still owe you some photos... We're doing some basement stuff this week, so there's still hope.

• odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Found that photo on the net. Wish I can find a pair that good!!!

Since I’m using the above photo to help find myself some early stands, I really don’t need any other pics. But thanks for the offer. :)
    My later stands look like new!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Thanks for the photo I found that historically enlightening. As I may have said I built my own because the speakers scraped the bottom of my college kid budget back then and I was offered the stands and the Cobra Cables dutifully by the salesmen but I politely declined.

I ended up building mine with 3/4" particle board with black formica laminate. I put a back stop on mine. the only thing I did wrong is that I only laminated the top side of the large (mine was much larger for stability) bottom plate and over the years they warped because the exposed particle board was left unpainted and un laminated by me and it absorbed more moisture than the rest. Mine had tops that screw down on the middle pedestal section and the bottom screwed on as well. It was easily to add sand and steel shot. I'm sure there are screws under those rubber discs but it is strange that there are no screws showing on the bottom so the bottom must be attached from within the pedestal. I like the construction of that one and it seems like they did a buildup to maybe 1" thickness.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • odcics2
    Options
    Maybe the original pedestal is hot glued to the base and top??
    Then the vinyl was applied.

Mhardy may be able to shed some light on assembly technics.

Interesting how the stand had the thicker edges stuck to thinner innards! Appears more robust until you flip it over.

Thanks for your input. B)
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »
    Maybe the original pedestal is hot glued to the base and top??
    Then the vinyl was applied.

Mhardy may be able to shed some light on assembly technics.

Interesting how the stand had the thicker edges stuck to thinner innards! Appears more robust until you flip it over.

Thanks for your input. B)

Yes maybe Doc Hardy could enlighten us further. I think that it is unlikely they glued the stand together because the shipping problems that would entail but who knows? I think it would take almost twice the space.

Another thing is that it looks like maybe they used 1/2" particle board for the top plate and 3/4" for the bottom, with both having a mitered buildup with 1" particle board around the edges.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I dunno -- that Doc Hardy cat is kinda unreliable. :#
    That said, it's a hot-ish day in New Hampsha... and it's cool in the basement...
    :|
  • odcics2
    Options
    Good luck digging! :)

It’ll be very interesting to see how it’s assembled.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    No screws on the bottom or top means it is glued together.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Taller flat top stands that bring the tweeter up to ear height are better than those short angled stands.

These are one example, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336LNTSTWN/Wharfedale-LINTON-Stand-Walnut.html

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    Options
    I've tried higher stands and in my small room, there is too much 'tweeter' if I point the speakers at my listening position or have them at ear level. Bass response is also compromised, in my room.
  • odcics2
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That said, it's a hot-ish day in New Hampsha... and it's cool in the basement...

Any update sir? Screws or glues, inquiring minds need to know! B)

• F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I seem to recall big self-tappers (maybe even wood screws) goin' up through the bottom -- but I haven't yet disinterred them so I cannot confirm at the moment.
    I haven't forgotten about this, though! :#
  • odcics2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yup. Wondering what his stands have. Also, could be various construction techniques.
  • F1nut
    Options

Yup. Wondering what his stands have. Also, could be various construction techniques.

Since the early stands in your original pic do not have screws and since you didn't mention your stands having screws it seems pretty bloody obvious they are glued. Besides that, WFD does it make!?!

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It doesn’t. Just want to know some early Polk history.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It doesn’t. Just want to know some early Polk history.

Ok, there's nothing concrete about early Polk history, things changed on the fly including locations and rumors are the weed was plentiful.

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Here’s my pair of later, taller original Monitor stands. 7A, 7B, 10A, 10B ?
    (Correct me if I’m wrong.)
    Anyways, I’d be willing to trade these for the lower earlier stands that my 7s should have. :)
    I’d add some cash, too. Thanks. xkw696zb6i9x.jpeg
    t1kllakm7d21.jpeg
    b1jf677mphxt.jpeg
    dup0n7c8yxuk.jpeg

• odcics2
    Options
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Those are similar to the 12 inch stands I bought with my RTA-12's in the early 80's. There was a through-bolt that held the top and bottom platforms together. The material on mine is solid, vinyl covered, one inch particle board. Years ago when moving, I dropped one on a concrete floor and it shattered. I had a heck of a time finding one inch particle board to replicate another, but eventually found a piece being sold as workbench top. I removed the through-bolt from the surviving one, filled the columns with sand and epoxied and finish nailed them both. The 12 in. stands are perfect for my RTA-12's because they place the tweeters at sitting ear-height position. At that height I still get lots of bass as long as I don't get them too far from the rear wall. The column part on mine have rounded corners. Mine also have no tilt/rake angle.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Nothin' like a hot summer day to get one to retreat to the basement.
    Per the OP's, umm, encouragement ;) -- I finally disinterred my Polkstands & snapped a few piccies.
    Now, these have been out of use for quite some time, and (as mentioned earlier) they were demonstrators & not in great shape when I got them (in 1978), so... when you see these, don't judge me. ;)

52222981381_0380125c3b_b.jpg

Many, many years ago, I effected a makeshift repair of the badly 'delaminated' trim on the bottom of these using some electrical tape. Hey, I was very poor, with questionable aesthetic sense (then & now) and I used what was at hand, OK? Again, don't judge me, man! :#

52221977987_f530f656f0_b.jpg

52223251954_451673d41d_b.jpg

Here's the underside of this Polkstand, sans screws.
    52223031403_2776df72c5_b.jpg

Now, @odcics2, you'll probably find this interesting. Here's the bottom of the other Polkstand.

52222998958_8bd3c2d60d_b.jpg

:p

As I mentioned earlier, these weren't literally paired with my speakers. The latter are "rosewood" vinyl :wink: and the stands, while cosmetically "identical" to each other, are "walnut", as can (I think) be seen some of the photos above. There's no guarantee that these two were "paired" (i.e., made at about the same time), but -- as also has been mentioned before, the QC at Polk and other, similar small American hifi speaker manufacturers in those days was a might... ahh... slapdash. B)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    For completeness & for comparison, here's one of the quite nice (IMO) pair of "aftermarket" (DIY) Polkstands I acquired as a much-appreciated karma many years back from a Club Polk member (Rev. Hayes). See, e.g., https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/144745/ev-esquires

52223251529_1ce2c29291_b.jpg

Here's the bottom:

52222998663_cd1c51aaf4_b.jpg

• odcics2
    Options
  • Gardenstater
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @mhardy6647 Could you drill a small hole and do a borescope inspection of the interior? It could be sort of exciting like Geraldo Rivera's narrated opening of Al Capone's Vault. That one with no screws is clearly hiding something valuable.

:D
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Perhaps Polk employees may have stashed their stashes in Polkstands.
    It was the 1970s. Heady times.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Looks like 3 slot screws and 1 Phillips head indicating the screws were installed after they left Polk.

n8d9rf14m5g6.jpg

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    Options
    Perhaps the glue failed and then the screws were added at the audio dealer.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Looks like 3 slot screws and 1 Phillips head indicating the screws were installed after they left Polk.

n8d9rf14m5g6.jpg

I'll look again, but I think they are all flat-headed old-style wood screws.
    That fallaparticle board gives me the heebie-jeebies whenever I see it. Stuff is like compressed nothing. ;)

Screws could, indeed, have been added at Soundscape -- since the stands were demos, they could've suffered a bit of... abuse. :#
    We could ask John Dorsey, but I doubt he'd remember. Again -- it was the '70s. B)
  • odcics2
    Options
    Your pedestals appear to be from similar looking vinyl as my Monitor 7. I’d guess they went to black pedestals when more colors were available for the speakers.

5krat98cxb74.jpeg

• odcics2
    Options
    Well, one month and no solid leads leading to my purchase of original early style Polkstands.
    There has to be a pair sitting around, unused, that would feel right at home under my early 7s!!!
    Did I mention that I’m a serious buyer, not a time waster?? Thanks Mike for giving me permission to use your stand pics in my search.
    o5i4p461ag59.jpeg
    gmsd9fhpcewi.jpeg
    v6c76vfgpphh.jpeg