Amp and subs decide to not work?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a rockford mono channel amp, hooked up to 2 pioneer 12"s...they have been working fine for about a month...up until now... I started my car ...got nothing from my subs. Then about 30 sec. later...a slight "boom" from the subs..then nothing....it lasted about 1 sec, this continues...i took out the the rca cables...and it was weird, the rockford symbol still lit up, and a slight boom came from the subs...even with the rca cables out....any advice? I looked at the wiring...everything looks good, the amp still comes on...just for about a second....please help
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    well, that could be the amp's turn-on pop, it happens sometimes. do the subs still work normally, with music? cause if they do, then no worries.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    do you mean the amp only turns on for a second or it just makes the slight pop when you turn it on?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Well...i get no noise from the subs...except the slight bass every 10 secs...it last for 1 sec.....and this doesn't stop...my 20 minute drive home from work....every 10 sec....a slight 1 sec. bass.... like i said, i took the wires out...put them back in, my car speakers still work. And also the rockford light and the light on the bass adjuster, both come on for the lil 1 sec. bass hit. Thats about all i can tell you...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    It sounds like its either your remote turn on or a ground problem. Its probably a ground problem but the remote will be the easiest to check.

First disconnect your current turn on wire and run a wire from a 10amp fuse on your fuse block with the ignition on to your amp. If this turns the amp on and it works, then the turn on from your HU is bad. If it still bumps every 10 seconds then your HU is fine.

Second disconnect your ground wire and take a wire and hook it to a good solid piece of frame rail or something you know is a super solid ground and run it to your amp. If it works fine then you know your existing ground is faulty and you need to rewire it or find another location.

Try these and let us know what happens.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Okay i'll try that...but my grounding wire is fairly short, its hard to find a good place to ground it to, but none the less...ill find somewhere....thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Well, the "protect" light is on, which means speaker wiring is off or somethin, there was a speaker wire off of the sub, but i put it on...made sure they were all on good...but still nothing. And it got even more intresting when, if i turned the bass adjuster past, half way or so...then the amp would shut off....Also the amp does feel sort of, hot. The grounding wire is solid, i havn't changed it or hooked up the remote turn on wire to a fuse yet, but i figured this new info, might lead to a different problem?
    thanks
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    ah, now that you mentioned that, i had a very similar problem with my components recently; i believe that it was due to my speaker wire being worn through somewhere and shorting to the frame, because when i replaced the speaker wire, the problem went away. can you check all your cables for damage in the insulation?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    now that you mentioned it...about the insulation. The power wire i got, 2gauge (a little big, i know :) ) it did have a slight darkening mark...almost burned...but not burned through....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    I took a closer look at the "burn" mark... its like a bright...golden yellow color...about 1/4" big, about 2 inches or so from the fuse block to the power wire. I don't know if that means anything, but...I can't change the grounding wire and rem. turn on wire....little busy, but i will be sure to try that!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    confuzed - you can never have too big a power wire

neo- so thats what was causing your sreeching wraith noise? I didnt know youd figured it out yet.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited June 2004
    agreed, power is good :D

actually, im still not entirely sure what caused that noise; i think it was a combo of the noise suppressors blowing at the same time the speaker wire was arcing; cause i replaced the hu, and then had the shutoff problems, then replaced the speaker wire, and it's mucho better now. and i got stinger expert rcas... mmm... expert...

• Systems
    edited June 2004
    Could my RCA cables be the problem?...maybe they came loose or a problem in the insulation?... I can keep the amp on, no bass from subs, but when i turn the remote bass control up, it shuts off, after the little bit of bass comes out.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited June 2004
    neo -

agree with your comment about the expert series rca's from stinger, I had an awful high pitched squeal of interference coming through my speakers, I had originally used some cheaper Streetwires ZN2.0 classic RCAs.............I recently replaced them with the Stinger Experts and my SQ is 200% better and that high pitched squeal is completely gone..........I'd recommend those Expert rca's to anyone!
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    More questions as to why this amp is giving me soo much trouble!

I changed my grounding wire to a different point. Now i can get steady amp usage, and bass power but at a low volume level. Anything above like 3, and the amp power cuts out. Its better then not having any bass at all...But after a couple of months of having it in full working order, this is killing me. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to do now?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    call RF and trouble shoot over the phone, if you still cant get it to work...send it back
    -Cody
  • Confuzedtoomuch
    Confuzedtoomuch Posts: 3
    edited June 2004
    Okay, thanks for the troubleshooting anyways...last question...i guess im probably really out of it and will feel stupid when you tell me...whats RF?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    rf=rockford fosgate
    -Cody
  • Confuzedtoomuch
    Confuzedtoomuch Posts: 3
    edited June 2004
    Yes, feeling stupid...

No questions this time....:D

Just thought this would be some intresting information...I decided to fool around with it a little...experimenting, i havn't gotten ahold of them yet, but disconnecting 1 sub, the amp powers the other sub great, like it did when i first got it *but powering 2* I plan on switching wires around and what not to see if anything changes, just a intresting little thing i decided to share.