Once upon a time in Odyssey Audio land...

Options
ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,556
edited June 2022 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Couple years ago I bought the Odyssey Audio Liquid speakers.
ouzxkkic34k6.jpg

Klaus told me they might be a bit boomy and he was working on a solution.
I haven't had an issue with them but when he called and said he had upgrades I said yes.

The upgrades are new inductors, new tubes in the base section and a bit of a cabinet change.

I took her bottom off... ;) . First mod was to remove a panel that was installed in the bottom, then pull the short tube and install the longer one. I've removed those wire tie downs - I thought they were a good idea but they just got in the way.
41fmpm36l9mp.jpg

The inductors... original was a nice copper foil inductors, 3.3 uf,14 g and .421 DCR. New ones weigh in just under 5 lbs each, 2.7 uf and....wait for it...wait for it... .07 DCR.
lfrrrqoz4wmb.jpg

The original inductor was installed on the crossover board but this new one would crush it. So new mounting required. The extra wires are to assist in reconnecting the crossover to the speakers - Klaus likes 'em short...too short! Inductor wire placement is certainly not final.
ratjma5z5ar8.jpg

Since I had it cracked open I've decided to go 100% Mundorf and parts are coming in.

The wires in the speaker are ready. More to come.
cq1c39phvwtx.jpg

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    Very nice Aaron.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,051
    Options
    Always wanted to hear his speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,341
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even know he even made speakers.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I could be wrong but I believe the ones above are inspired by the symphonic line rg5

https://kahlaudio.com/product/symphonic-line-rg5-reference-floorstanders-lots-of-positive-reviews-22000-msrp/
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ALL212
    Options
    I think his entire line of electronic devices all have roots with Symphonic. If you know what the guts of the amps and pre’s look like you’ll see those components in Symphonic amps and pre’s.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Honestly, I didn't even know he even made speakers.

Tom

Klaus is not good about advertising anything or even keeping the web site up to date. He can hardly keep up with word of mouth sales and upgrades
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Give these 6 months to break in and come on over!!

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • treitz3
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »

Where you is?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Where you is?

Tom

A LOOOG drive.... from both of you. middle of nowhere upper Illinois, close to Wisconsin B)
  • ALL212
    Options
    Just take the family jet!

Only 10 miles south o’ the cheddar curtain, right in da middle.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Aaron is 1:30 Northwest of me. :D I've been there and heard that! Great stuff! Nice work buddy!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    As always, nice tinkering! I don't think I've heard those?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Trey will drive. This time? I am strapped the hood collecting bugs in my teeth. That MF will drive half the way across the country to hear or pick up something. He's legit cray-cray but don't tell him I said that or I will be strapped to the underside of his car.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    He's legit cray-cray but don't tell him I said that or I will be strapped to the underside of his car.
    Someone must guard the catalytic converters.... besides you have high speed hair😜
  • VR3
    Options
    I believe the farthest I have traveled is 23 hours round trip for Audio purposes (by car) :p
  • ALL212
    Options
    Mystery resistor game

Value??

7yv2caun0c44.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    0.68 +/- 2%?
    Or Mike/Ike black licorice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    Options
    Yep.. that’s a silver, not gold band on #3.

I ordered and installled 6.8’s

Treble is rather subdued.

.68’s on order.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    That first band looks like Violet. Then again, I'm partially colorblind. Dear wife or an Ohm meter are never far away when I am working with resistors. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Options
    Ya… I screwed it up. Parts inbound.

2nd speaker is on the bench.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Got any mono albums? :D
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Sounds like they're "ALL" mono now.
  • ALL212
    Options
    .68 instead of 6.8 makes quite the difference. Will get the oops on the bench tonight and flip out the mistake.

Mounted the resistors on the bottom of the board. Cut up screw anchors for standoffs.

kpatdnhfck8j.jpeg

Now for break in time…
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • VR3
    Options
    I would be very curious for you to throw some Path audio in there
  • ALL212
    Options
    I would be very curious for you to throw some Path audio in there

I’d have to take out a loan!! I thought I was being extravagant with the mundorfs!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • VR3
    Options
    Seriously worth it
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Mystery resistor game

Value??

7yv2caun0c44.jpeg

No DMM at your house, @ALL212? :#
  • ALL212
    Options
    The “DiMM” was the tech not paying attention.

Brain knot - I measured that at .8 and could not figure out it wasn’t 6.8.

Duh…
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2022
    Options
    0q9g4dpajii4.png

5jhggztp5y0l.png