2.3TL tweeters loose output at high power

Options
Got a really nice set of the late model 2.3TL. Running with a Sansui G9000. Lately when I push them hard, the tweeter output gets low, maybe 1/2 of what it should be, turn it down and they will come back to life. It started doing it on one speaker, now it seems like both do it.

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    You're tripping the polyswitches, it's too loud.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 55
    Options
    I concur with the above assessment, and would note that these can fail in such a way that they trip prematurely or unpredictably.
    It may be time to bypass as per a procedure discussed hundreds of times in this forum.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    All of the above, I will add that it may be time to just upgrade the crossovers...
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    If it hasn't already been, it may also be worthwhile at some point to get the receiver a "tune up" to make sure everything's working in spec. Start with the speaker tweak though.
  • dragonboymike
    Options
    Ok, I agree sounds like a polyswitch problem. Why don’t they show it in the crossover schematic?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Ok, I agree sounds like a polyswitch problem. Why don’t they show it in the crossover schematic?

They do, listed as safetyguard. RXE135 IIRC is 1.35amp or part number. Many of us remove and use a good resistors in their place. Another name for them besides poly switch is thermistor, which is what they actually are.
    sx8alfadfk30.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Define pushing them hard as it relates to the clock position on the volume knob.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^In with 2 o'clock
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited June 2022
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^In with 2 o'clock

Since the OP was on the forum this morning after your post and still hasn't answered my question I believe you nailed it.

OP, turn it down or get a much more powerful amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    What's wrong with a 15wpc Crown at 2 o'clock?😂
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    What's wrong with a 15wpc Crown at 2 o'clock?😂

I believe the unit is a 160wpc Sui g9000 receiver. At 2 o'clock it will trip those breakers.......at least it would when using my g8000 on my 2.3s many years ago
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Sorry. Inside joke only F1 would understand.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.