Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,105
    Options
    I think high end audio should be required to display build cost once pricing hits a certain threshold.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    i don't see a thing that makes the D’Agostino amp cost $295,000, well i guess you can't see magic :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    Options
    I understand these companies have to make money but I'm willing to bet material cost is around 5% of msrp.

To quote Louis Vuitton. We don't sell products, we sell desire.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,128
    Options
    What are you guys complaining about price for. All of these amps are cheaper than a tank of gas...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Is a Rolls Royce Boat tail worth $28 million, I bet the materials cost is only a fraction of the retail.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,091
    Options
    Is one Bitcoin worth $20,665.40?
    Probably not by tomorrow morning. :#

yn72o8bkx3pc.png
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    I laughed at that email today before I hit delete
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Where's Joey? He needs to buy all these and write up a review.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,403
    Options
    Just for size reference on the Dan D'agostino amps...

2e1coka47ibp.png

Keep in mind that the cost of this amp is still at a lower cost than the speaker in this photo. The Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX Floorstanding Speakers come in at $335K. In these types of systems, a simple phono cable could cost $14K. The speaker Magnum Opus speaker cables start at $43K. Just one set of interconnects can start at $37K

I know someone who spent $350,000 just to fly 3 acousticians into his home (paid for all expenses, including hotel costs), measure the room and offer room suggestions just so he could extract the most out of his system that he could. He felt that this was more than worth the price of admission for just that. The folks who buy these types of systems are the same folks that have the latest and greatest Porsche or Ferrari sitting out in their multi-car garage(s) and they upgrade those frequently as well.

I have read about many people building a custom room, studio or even a dedicated building (not a mis-type) for a 2 channel high-fidelity system. One of them spent over a million and a half just on the dedicated building for a 2 channel rig. The acoustical properties they were trying to achieve started before the foundation went in.

Audio is relative. Some may consider someone else spending $5K for just a stereo system being "way out there". Others might consider 20 or $30K invested into a system as beyond wasting one's money. I know many a folk who have easily spent over 100K on a stereo system. Many people would call them flat out crazy.

Then there are the folks that won't even consider an amplifier in their system unless the asking price starts at 100K. (or in some cases, much higher than that).

The thing is, as they talk and I observe? They have the same problem that many have at any price level. They are trying to achieve an unrealistic goal of perfectly reproduced music, albeit with a much fatter wallet. The best we (as humans) could ever hope for is the best reproduced approximation of the music or event (as intended by the artist) or at the very least? Excellence thereof. Perfection is simply not attainable.

With that said, out of these choices (if I had the dough and electrical support for them)? I would tend to go toward the Boulder 3000 Series amps. Either those or the D'agostino amps....and maybe even the Gryphon Mephisto Solo. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

With that said, I already have my dream amplifier (one that I can afford) and the same gripes many of us have with our stereo systems? The folks that spend uber dollars on their systems? Well, it seems that they have some of the same gripes after all is said and done......they are just trying to catch excellence, just as we are with our systems. They just play on a different dollar spent scale.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I was lucky enought to hear a set of Dan D'agostino amps at Axpona one year, I was NOT disappointed. They just melted music into the air. IF I ever win the lottery Dan D'agostino and Bill Dudleston at Legacy Audio WILL be contacted.
  • treitz3
    Options
    BTW, when I mentioned the speakers? That was just for the mains. I couldn't figure out which sub's they used in that photo. It's either the Wilson Audio WAMM Subsonic or Thor's Hammer. AFAIK, those alone start at around the $40K mark.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I thought the master chronosonic with the subs that Dave Wilson did was close to 800k?

The mainstream version that came later was like 350k?
  • treitz3
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Could be, Trey. I don't know but I thought that price was a bit low (it's the only price I could find relatively quickly). Sometimes when this gear is advertised or written about? The price can be elusive....unless you are legitimate prospective buyer. I haven't been as interested in the Wilson subs as I have with the Genesis Sub's. Gary has a new direct-servo sub that I don't even know the name of anymore that is most interesting to me. It's not even on his website yet.

Just looking at the photos made me drool.....and now I can't even find where I was reading about it/seeing the photos.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Yeah the original chronosonic, to my understanding was only 15 sets and with the subs was north of 750k.

After his death they released a different model for the "masses" 😅
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    When I win the lottery I may upgrade my DAC. Pretty happy with the rest. :)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,954
    Options
    If I win the lotto I am traveling with my 30k ear pods, music will have never sounded better.. LOL!!!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    Options
    careful what you ask for...
    156wm8oot9cf.jpg
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • treitz3
    Options
    I wonder how much these amp stands are? I know they won't be cheap!

culv884g27ma.png

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    You can't afford them....

Not Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Probably 5k lol
  • treitz3
    Options
    It looks to be a custom made amp stand from the B line (custom, not "B-stock") by these guys specifically for this amplifier.....

5bslghxc5zxb.png

https://bassocontinuo.biz/b-by-bassocontinuo/

Gotta scroll all of the way down and it's on your left. 5K probably wouldn't be too far off.....or too low.

Tom

• pitdogg2
    Options
    That site 404's on every link I chose.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Ah, just look up the key words "bassocontinuo". It should be the first hit on Google.

With that said, I found one of their upper lines, without going into their custom line. 5K is way too low. Seeing as how it looks like it is milled from a single chunk of solid aluminum? We could be talking about much, much more than 12K. Here's one of the ones in their lineup....coming in at a cool 7.3KUSD.

https://www.hardtofindhifi.com/bassocontinuo-ultimate-line-gargantua

Tom

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It looks to be a custom made amp stand from the B line (custom, not "B-stock") by these guys specifically for this amplifier.....

5bslghxc5zxb.png

https://bassocontinuo.biz/b-by-bassocontinuo/

Gotta scroll all of the way down and it's on your left. 5K probably wouldn't be too far off.....or too low.

Tom

There basic one is $6k

I would say those custom ones are $20k each...maybe more, 200lbs each
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    It seems there are two different companies making stands for D'agostino amps
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,091
    Options
    Gargantua.

Well... either they have a sense of humor...
    or they don't.

:#
  • VR3
    Options
    So funny considering my gear is sitting in ventilated shelving for a closet 😅