Magnetic Fan filters on amplifiers….

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited June 2022 in The Clubhouse
Ive got a B&K 200.5 with a AC Infinity S8 on top of it.

The AC infinity draws air up and spits it out the back and keeps the B&K nice and cool but the act of drawing air up results in quite a bit of dust getting caught underneath the B&K…. And it’s a bit of a pain to move a 76lb amp to dust it.

I was thinking about putting some sort of filter material underneath the B&K (since the bottom is the only open area) which would be easier to remove and clean, and keep the inside of the amp cleaner.

But I was thinking going with magnetic type filters would be bad but wasn’t sure.

Anyway, any suggestions welcomed.

Also I was planning on adding magnetic filters to the bottom of the AC infinity but if that is a bad idea given proximity to the B&K let me know too…
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I wouldn't restrict air movement. Are you going to monitor the filters more than you're dusting now? 😃
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't restrict air movement. Are you going to monitor the filters more than you're dusting now? 😃

Lol yes I would be monitoring them more, and it won’t restrict airflow that much I don’t think.

After cleaning the bottom of the B&K the AC Infinity hasn’t even kicked on yet (which it does as the temp in the amp goes up) lol….
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Is the amp in a confined space? As long as the heat sinks are open and accessible that should be adequate. Not sure I'd put anything magnetic near an amp.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is the amp in a confined space? As long as the heat sinks are open and accessible that should be adequate. Not sure I'd put anything magnetic near an amp.

It’s in a cabinet with closed sides but some vent holes in the bottom, open front and back.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I built an enclosure on the back of my rack and used these to suck hot air out of the enclosure. That way cool air is coming in from the front.

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    Options