Do you Baltimore/DC/PA/WV Polk Folk know this place? Hub City Vinyl

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,672
edited June 2022 in Music & Movies
So -- my hifi colleague Joseph Esmilla (designer of the "Simple 45/2A3" amplifier which is my more or less daily driver) just posted some photos of a place in (of all places!) Hagerstown, MD that looks... kind of cool. B)

https://jelabs.blogspot.com/2022/06/hub-city-vinyl.html

52153729114_6af1fd7569_b.jpgListening Lounge by je245, on Flickr
52152480887_4293f27c2a_b.jpgHub City Vinyl by je245, on Flickr
52153370335_8a4d7f55f9_b.jpgGates CB1200 + Gray 206 by je245, on Flickr

... and here I've always thought that Boston was The Hub of the Universe.
:blush:

Looks like a fun place to me.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    btdeec2oacl2.png

That does look like a joint I'd like to visit. With that said, this photo belongs in the, "Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do" thread. What in the &%@* is up with that toe in? They tryin' ta' hide the reflections off of the coffee table or sumphin'?

I had to chuckle at the DIY TT.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    Well, yeah, the base appears to be DIY and somewhat... ahhhm... utilitarian, but that's a pretty nice Gates broadcast tt with a bitchen Gray arm on it. Check the prices on those on the used market ('specially the arm)... ;)

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,080
    I think I see an early Father's day road jaunt. Weather is supposed to be convertible conducive.
    And the trunk is too small for me to be *too* stupid.

More to follow
  • mhardy6647
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    I think I see an early Father's day road jaunt. Weather is supposed to be convertible conducive.
    And the trunk is too small for me to be *too* stupid.

More to follow

mceichvidbd8.gif
  • mhardy6647
    I do think they need a nice vacuum tube amplifier for them Zu Omens, though.
  • tonyp063
    edited June 2022
    ^^^^^
    I thought of that, and I have 1-3 available, but.

The. Trunk. Is. Too. Small.

dammit
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Or a big trash can?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337

I heard a set of one of the Zu speakers. I'm not sure what model, they were pretty dynamic for less than 20watts if memory serves me correctly.

The little tube amp and those Zu's surprised me.
  • mhardy6647
    treitz3 wrote: »

Or a big trash can?

Tom

I was tryin' to be nice. Work with me, here. B)

I was gettin' my attitude out at a coupla other forums yesterday :)
  • tonyp063
    So @mhardy6647 , following up.

Did not go to Hub City Vinyl on Saturday as I didn't feel like futzing with record store days crowds.
    Herself & I popped in yesterday briefly.

A goodly assortment of both new & used LPs, EPs & such. Prices seemed reasonable for any given item.
    No bargains, but no rapacious structure on things ether. For example:
    I found a good copy of Anner Bylsma's recording of the Boccherini cello concerto for $4.
    The quality of the used records I examined seemed to be good. Well cleaned & properly sleeved.

They are carrying new turntables, obviously entry level models. (A-T LP12xxx & U-Turn Orbit).
    Nothing fancy, but serviceable.

Nothing in the used/vintage equipment called my name & the amount was very sparse.

Oh and.
    The Zu's sounded thin & hollow in that space. No me gusta.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    So @mhardy6647 , following up.

Did not go to Hub City Vinyl on Saturday as I didn't feel like futzing with record store days crowds.
    Herself & I popped in yesterday briefly.

A goodly assortment of both new & used LPs, EPs & such. Prices seemed reasonable for any given item.
    No bargains, but no rapacious structure on things ether. For example:
    I found a good copy of Anner Bylsma's recording of the Boccherini cello concerto for $4.
    The quality of the used records I examined seemed to be good. Well cleaned & properly sleeved.

They are carrying new turntables, obviously entry level models. (A-T LP12xxx & U-Turn Orbit).
    Nothing fancy, but serviceable.

Nothing in the used/vintage equipment called my name & the amount was very sparse.

Oh and.
    The Zu's sounded thin & hollow in that space. No me gusta.

Cannot blame you on the first point. I avoid RSDs like the plague umm like COVID
    monkeypox. ;) Way too avaricious.
    Not my idea of fun.
    Going through a dumpster full of moldy records = my idea of fun. :#

No surprise re: the Zus at all. They're -- and I am gonna be charitable, as I've been grumpy keyboard warrior lately -- idiosyncratic. :)

I suggested to JE that one of us should donate a nice little tube amp for them to use with them -- pretty sure it would help (at least a little). ;)

Thanks for the report from the field!

• tonyp063
    To also clarify.

I *will* go back there, when I can spend the proper amount of time and money.
  • mhardy6647
    To also clarify.

I *will* go back there, when I can spend the proper amount of time and an improper amount of money.

FIFY.
    You're welcome.

:D