Crazy Wedding trip & Covid taking out half of the wedding party.

My wife, sister & I were scheduled to fly out Sat. to Page, AZ for our son's wedding on Tues. 6/7. As we were getting ready Sat. morning an alert pops up on all of our phones saying that our flight was cancelled due to lack of crew & we were re-booked on a flight out on Sun. Not happy about it not much we could do.

We land in Flagstafff & pick up the car rental & drive to Page...a 2.5hr trip. All went well. The wedding went off without a hitch & we had rented a nice pontoon boat on Lake Powell for the reception. Let me tell you Lake Powell is breathtaking!!

So leaving Lake Powell after the reception the rental car breaks down. Now I'm pissed. I managed to limp back to the Airbnb we were all staying at (all 9 family members). I call Enterprise & tell them what happened & they said I have to call Roadside assistance. There wasn't anything they could do until at 8:00am the next day & to call back. I called back at 8:00 on Wed & they scheduled a flatbed to pick up a new car in Flagstaff & drive it to us & pick up the disabled car. That took 6.5hrs...the day was half shot. & to make matters worse the brides family were heading to Sedona & dropping off the newlyweds for a flight to Fla for their honeymoon. We all had to be out of the house by 10:00 & we had no place to go to wait for the car. We called a taxi & went to the local Holiday Inn Express & the Mgr was nice enough to let us stay in the lobby until the flatbed w/ the new car arrived. The mgr at Enterprise was a great help in getting the ball rolling & credited the whole rental ordeal.

Our new Airbnb was ready at 4:00 so by the time the car arrived & we ate lunch it was time to get to the new Airbnb. We had a great time seeing the sites & taking tours...all were exceptional. But boy oh boy is it hot out there. You can't drink enough water!!

We leave on Sat to head back home to Philly, my sister wasn't feeling too good & chalked it up to the heat & dust we inhaled all week. No one gave it a second thought. We wake up Sun & I've got the chills & sore throat. Then the text arrives from the bride saying her mom wasn't feeling well either & took the rapid test & it was positive. Oh crap we all said. We called my sister, she took the test & she was positive. I tested positive but my wife tested negative.

With all that's going on our son & his new bride got tested & they were both positive. They both had the chills & sore throat & they had to cut the homeymoon short & rent a car to drive home to LA. The resort gave them & full credit & so did the airline. Out of the party of 9, 5 of us tested positive. What a mess. I'm sure down the road we'll be laughing about the whole ordeal & will conjure up many memories about the wedding trip.

The only bright side is my work wants me to stay home for the rest of the week which gives me time to really work on setting up the new Maggie LRS!
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    So there’s your silver lining! Glad the wedding itself was not derailed by Covid.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Sorry for all of the trip issues and I like that positive attitude.

The only bright side is my work wants me to stay home for the rest of the week which gives me time to really work on setting up the new Maggie LRS!

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    get well to all and God speed. :o
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    All covid cases I’ve seen have been weak strains. Glad to hear you’re doing well
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited June 2022
    Welcome to travel in 2022. No plane schedule is set.
    Rental cars are either unavailable or poorly maintained.
    And covid is still out there.
    I'm glad that your covid was the mild kind.

Had some stuff planned, but all the flights went haywire.
    Decided to cancel all of it.
    Great way to get stranded in some airport overnight.
    And if there was a place to catch covid, a plane is
    got to be be it, along with riding a bus or subway.
    I'm driving or I'm not going.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    Joey_V wrote: »
    All covid cases I’ve seen have been weak strains. Glad to hear you’re doing well

My symptoms had me thinking I was simply fighting off a mild cold. If it wasn't for the rapid home test I would not have thought it was COVID.

I'm assuming this is the variant that is very mild. More of a neusance then anything else. Feeling better all ready.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • SIHAB
    My wife has had all the shots and boosters. She has traveled thru out the
    pandemic without a hiccup.

I haven't travelled at all but do all the shopping and I swear I have had
    two forms of it. :(

This doesn't really help the OP...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Hey Phil, what were your symptoms?

'Cause Jackie and I were just talking about this over the weekend. Been a rash of kids locally getting sick, passing something around like a hot potato. One of the kiddo's friend's moved a B-day party over it because they had 5 people in the house, all of them had gotten sick roughly within 3 days of each other. 3 of them tested positive on the home tests, two tested negative on the home tests. They all got tested at facilities and none were positive from those tests and antibody tests showed negative too.

They all had:
    - headache
    - slight fever (99-100)
    - runny nose
    - sore throat (mostly from post nasal drip)

Said they were feeling ok in 2-4 days. The kids were over it in 2, mom and dad took 2-4 days. They said that the runny nose persisted for a week and a half for mom and dad.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pearsall001
    Jstas wrote: »
    Hey Phil, what were your symptoms?

'Cause Jackie and I were just talking about this over the weekend. Been a rash of kids locally getting sick, passing something around like a hot potato. One of the kiddo's friend's moved a B-day party over it because they had 5 people in the house, all of them had gotten sick roughly within 3 days of each other. 3 of them tested positive on the home tests, two tested negative on the home tests. They all got tested at facilities and none were positive from those tests and antibody tests showed negative too.

They all had:
    - headache
    - slight fever (99-100)
    - runny nose
    - sore throat (mostly from post nasal drip)

Said they were feeling ok in 2-4 days. The kids were over it in 2, mom and dad took 2-4 days. They said that the runny nose persisted for a week and a half for mom and dad.

Hey John,

How's it going! Best of luck on your new home... plenty of room for another Polk Fest. Lol!

To be honest I thought I just had a mild cold.

No fever... the highest was 98.4
    My norm is 97.4 which is my latest reading this morning.

No headache at all, I did get the chills off & on but that seems to have passed.

Sore throat big time though & just feeling tired & somewhat lithargice. No runny nose at all.

Hopefully back to normal in a day or two.

Cheers,
    Phil
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Kids are getting slammed late spring into summer with non-Covid respiratory infections like the flu and viruses that cause common colds. Some have been getting more than one virus at the same time. Immunity to those is down because of social distancing the last couple years.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

I'm assuming this is the variant that is very mild. More of a neusance then anything else. Feeling better all ready.

Be very CAREFUL this strain will come back and get you. I was over most of my symptoms and fever in 4 days. 4 days later it came back. Started to run another slight temp 99-100 and lungs got very congested and was diagnosed with viral pneumonia. I had two types of inhalers prescribed then. It took about 2-3 weeks after that to get all the junk out of my lungs. I also had the worst ear ringing the first 2 weeks.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Best to take it easy for a week and lay low if possible then reassess. A couple of my friends have had Covid in the last month. Their symptoms were heavy nasal congestion, sore throat from that, and a lingering cough. No high fever and they're over it now. Took them a couple weeks to be symptom free.
  • pearsall001
    Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely keep an eye out for my symptoms.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Joey_V wrote: »

My symptoms had me thinking I was simply fighting off a mild cold. If it wasn't for the rapid home test I would not have thought it was COVID.

Seems as if the strains weaken as they mutate. Infectivity goes up, but at the cost of milder symptoms. I’ve had covid 3x now, and it’s weaker each time.

I hadn’t seen anything as severe as when it first came out. That was something else entirely.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I hope everybody gets well again.

What a memorable bunch of experiences you all had. Wow. :#

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    We had the same thing happen to us about 6 weeks ago. We went to a wedding and both got Covid several days later. We both did an infusion treatment and quickly recovered in 4-5 days, however we both had a lack of energy for 7-10 days.

Glad you at least got thru the wedding before everyone got sick.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Don't mean to downplay all your experiences, hope you all recover fully. But @Jstas is is your wife Jackie5.0 from the old days at Camaro z28.com? You two seem to have a lot in common....

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Don't mean to downplay all your experiences, hope you all recover fully. But @Jstas is is your wife Jackie5.0 from the old days at Camaro z28.com? You two seem to have a lot in common....

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Unless she has a secret Camaro somewhere, I'm gonna say no.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SIHAB
    That there is a postcard picture!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Wow!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited June 2022
    Just one of the spectacular wedding pics!! 5piq1jh1o0t3.jpg

That is a spectacular picture. Congrats to the bride and groom! The morbid side of me has to wonder how many have lost their life trying to get the perfect photo at that spot. Don't think I'd have the cajones to stand where they are.
  • pearsall001
    I don't know if anyone ever went over the edge where they were standing but every year someone does meet their demise at Horseshoe Bend. We saw it first hand how crazy people were with their kids close to the edge!!! Total nut jobs.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Sorry about the continued derail, but the news of late indicates that Peabrainus americanus needs to understand that the National parks are not zoos.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    audioluvr wrote: »
    My (ex) wife would have pushed me off. Bi t ch.

Ha, my current wife might call dibbs over my x.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable