Sda midrange speakers not working

Options
I have a pair of sda 2 speakers . I hooked them up to a used receiver and the left speaker was only working tweeter,no midrange no bass. I thought must be something wrong with receiver but when hooked back to my yamaha receiver same thing, just tweeter. I opened it up and removed wires from mids and plugged into a bookshelf speaker and it was working. Any suggestions? The speakers are mw6510

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    Drivers are cooked
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    Frozen magnets if they ohm out.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • DANYL55
    DANYL55 Posts: 6
    Options
    Is there a fix?
  • DANYL55
    Options
    Is it possible the used receiver caused the problem since they were working fine before that?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    Do the cones on the MWs move freely by touch?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    edited May 2022
    Options
    DANYL55 wrote: »
    Is it possible the used receiver caused the problem since they were working fine before that?

No. Sounds like you moved them and the magnets have shifted. Since yours are 3rd gen they should still get the sub-bass signal even without the SDA cable hooked up. 1st and 2gen if the blade/blade cable was not hooked up the SDA drive would not work. You stated your driver is MW6510 sounds like SDA2a, those are notorious for killing receivers not the other way. The reason they are hard on receivers is the are 4ohm speakers and drop to low 3.1/3.2 ohms. That is really tough on anything less than a good amp rated for 4 ohm speakers.
  • DANYL55
    Options
    Yes they do-is it odd that both mids in that cabinet went bad at same time?
  • DANYL55
    Options
    Yes I always used them without the interconnect cable they actually sound better
  • DANYL55
    Options
    My receiver is a yahma R1000
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I'd say you need to get out your meter and do the checks in the SDA Handbook, and check the drivers individually like xschop said.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform