Bascom H. king has passed away

Options
invalid
invalid Posts: 1,276
I seen on audiogon that Bascom H King has passed away, and it was confirmed on ps audio forum.

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited May 2022
    Options
    My normal routine is to login to CP and then the PS Audio site. Didn't expect to see this here and then confirmed on PSA. I've had the pleasure of enjoying some of BHK's last creations. Few things I use each and every day…the BHK pre and 250 amp are my morning ritual w/a cup of coffee. Bonus time is when I get more hours of listening in. Sad news…RIP! Anyone interested and unaware should look up his pedigree. Another legend has passed.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    R.I.P. Mr. King.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,485
    Options
    It appears Mr. King had a keen sense of humor, this is a copy of a supposed letter written by Mrs. King for 1977's April addition of Audio Magazine:

6f9bh9vi42gj.png
    w9yh5dan7vde.png
  • JayCee
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That's great. There are a couple of video interviews (see below) Paul McGowan did when he was developing his BHK signature products. He was also somewhat active on the PSA forum if summoned w/his handle and would answer questions about his pre/amps. Seemed like a very interesting guy.

From PSA/McGowan's official announcement this morning:

"Bascom King

It is with a heavy heart and great sadness I have to report the passing of one of the great pioneers and innovators in audio. Bascom King.

Bascom passed away last Wednesday from complications of pneumonia. He was 84.

Bascom was one of a kind. He was a close and dear friend.

I first met Bascom because of Infinity founder, Arnie Nudell. Bascom was Infinity’s chief engineer and responsible for not only most all of Infinity’s electronics but overseeing all of its crossovers, servos, and amps.

In later years, Bascom was the designer of our BHK series, the only products ever to be graced with his name. Most of his other work, like for CJ and Constellation, was as a hired gun.

He designed for just about everyone.

We will do a proper memorial in Copper Magazine. At the moment it’s a bit tough to even write these words.

If you want to see Bascom there’s a great video we posted of him at the launch of his BHK amp. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/qoDg5j02LiQ

There’s also an interview series I recorded and you can start with here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKC23lUUv14

Bascom’s final product, the BHK 600, was completed just before his passing. It is his best work. We should be able to release it in the next few months.

Sorry to report such sad news."

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    Options
    Short blurbs by three of BHK's collegues with anecdotes from his audio review days at TAS.
    https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/bascom-h-king-in-memoriam/

Funny reference to him describing circuits as having a "s e x" (lets see if Vanilla bleeps out my quoted word). As previously pointed out by @SeleniumFalcon, his articles would be interesting/fun reads. Mr. King would've been an interesting guy to have met.