Exterior trim paint recommendations?

daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,307
I installed a new french-door into my daylight basement 3 years ago. It came pre-primed, and I applied Rustoleum oil based gloss paint on the trim, and in that time, it’s completely flaking off.

Any recommendations for a long-lasting exterior trim paint?

tya3m0ohpbyb.jpeg

w3vxnaiy9std.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Benjamin exterior, but all will peel if not dry and re-primed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 749
    Emerald urethane shirwin Williams
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    The Rustoleum isn't your problem as the primer is what's peeling right down to the bare wood. If you have moisture problems that should be fixed first. If not I like using a quality oil based primer (if you're lucky enough to find oil based) and top it with an excellent quality gloss latex like Behr Marquee.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Something is very weird there. What is the substrate? Is it wood or a composite wood product? Seems like manufacturing defect.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • daddyjt
    Something is very weird there. What is the substrate? Is it wood or a composite wood product? Seems like manufacturing defect.

It is primed (at the factory) pine…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    The Rustoleum isn't your problem as the primer is what's peeling right down to the bare wood. If you have moisture problems that should be fixed first. If not I like using a quality oil based primer (if you're lucky enough to find oil based) and top it with an excellent quality gloss latex like Behr Marquee.

There is no moisture, beyond what the weather sends down (which isn’t much in UT). I can still get oil-based primer here.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    daddyjt wrote: »

It is primed (at the factory) pine…

Was it pressure treated pine? I had a failure like that when painting a pressure treated pine playset for someone once. Not enough time had elapsed and pressure treated pine is inherently moisture laden unless it is kiln dried and kept away from moisture.

Even if it isn't pressure treated it may have had too high of a moisture/sap content when they primed it.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Agreed. That's not a paint problem. That's a substrate issue. You can clearly tell that the substrate is delaminating and not the paint (as evidenced by the color being peeled up behind the paint)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Is this South facing? Dark colors will cause higher than normal temperature swings causing the wood to expand and contract excessively. Oil based paint, albeit durable, won't flex like a good exterior latex.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is this South facing? Dark colors will cause higher than normal temperature swings causing the wood to expand and contract excessively. Oil based paint, albeit durable, won't flex like a good exterior latex.

Not really - it gets afternoon sun in the winter, but not after about May 1st.

Sounds like a good stripping and then an oil primer are in order.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    My first thoughts were, the primer should be a good oil-based alkyd and the finish top coat should be latex.

Good luck, should hopefully be an easy fix. :)
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    As a "once-upon-a-time" house painter, I'd prime with a high quality acrylic/urethane bonding primer as it stretches and will not crack with extreme changes in humidity and temperature (Benjamin Moore Stix for example) and then apply two coats of premium house paint like Benjamin Moore Aura. If you have any sun-grayed wood be sure to sand it away as coatings will adhere poorly to such a surface. No connection with BM paint, I just like their products.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Another vote for Benjamin Moore.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Benjamin Moore is our go-to as well, FWIW, since the late 1980s when we lived in California.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    daddyjt wrote: »

There is no moisture, beyond what the weather sends down (which isn’t much in UT). I can still get oil-based primer here.

can't get a real beer, but you can still get oil-based primer in Utah dangnabbit!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I had extensive exterior wood trim professionally painted last fall with Benjamin Moore paint. It takes a beating from sun, freeze-thaw, wind, rain, ice, snow. Looks great! Usually lasts for several years before it starts peeling again. The paint doesn't matter if the surface isn't prepped right though (sanded, filled, and primed) and the paint isn't put on right. Can't be too hot, can't be too cold, can't be too humid.