How do I wire this?

Options
I have a Polk subwoofer from the 80’s. This is the back panel. To get sound out of it, do I need to run speaker wire from the amp’s right AND left speaker connections? It’s been so long I can’t remember, and I can’t seem to get any sound with wire from just one channel connected. k2g000dxvqsv.jpeg

Answers

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited April 2022
    Options
    heh, that's an LF 14 :)

If you have one LF 14, use that "center channel" hookup diagram.
    So, yes, both channels of your amp get hooked to the LF 14 -- it does the rest.
    If your amp has A & B speaker connections, you can hook your main speakers to "A" and the LF 14 subwoofer to "B", then switch the speaker selector to "A + B".
    If you only have one set of speaker connections on the amp, you'll have to connect both sets of speaker wires in "parallel" (as shown on the diagram).
    Either way, make sure you have the "+" and "-" wires correctly connected (as shown in the diagram) or you'll actually get less bass.
    Make sure that "mode" switch is set to "center channel".
    You can determine the better position of the "efficiency" switch based on your own taste.

The crossover in the subwoofer should ensure that the load on the amp doesn't ask too much of its capabilities.

10730024924_0f9548f89d_c.jpg

nf9ox5nn07dv.jpg
    NOTE: ignore the jumper wire in this photo! 1) you don't need the jumper for 'center channel' (single subwoofer) use and 2) It is not in the correct position for stereo subwoofer use!!!
    sorry!

The switch positions, however, are correct for a single subwoofer and "low" efficiency. :)

:p