New to site hi all audiophiles.

Not sure about protocol? Anyway picked up a pair of RT 35i from a friend. Played just a few CDs. Smooth is all I have to say. Listen to most music at very low volume untill wife is gone then the neighbors know she is gone. Saw a post on the x over components and will try changing the caps to Solen great value to price or pricier Janzen. Cap quality does make a big difference imo. Easy fix too. Wire wound resistor not that cheap square sand junk. Why skip in such an inexpensive part? Just finished an AR2 rebuild with original 10 woofers from 1969 when discontinued. Amazing! Used old Polk SL 2000 1.38 inch clear dome silver coil tweeters. Very smooth. Two mids in each cabinet replaced with Vifa K10 cones. Inexpensive but sound like the freq gragh between where being cut off. Using old cap the huge old fashion silver metal box type. Wire wound inductor and ,2 potentiometers ie volume control one is not working so had to replace. Overlap they look like crap with all the retrofit but don't sound bad. Put fuses on all Hot wires the really let them scream and the windows do shake. Sorry to ramble Every have a great weekend no reason not to! Michael marmarasmichael@gmail.com

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2022
    Welcome to Club Polk.

I have to say if you like the sound of Solen caps as well as thinking the SL2000 is smooth you likely have high frequency hearing loss.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    F1nut wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk.

I have to say if you like the sound of Solen caps as well as thinking the SL2000 is smooth you likely have high frequency hearing loss.

Welcome to club polk @bearz!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    The only smooth sounding SL2000's I've heard had silks grafted in.

Welcome aboard.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • bearz
    bearz Posts: 10
    Thanks for every one's comment and introduction. I don't claim to be that knowledgeable about stereo stuff, I just like taking discarded or cheap equipment and frankinstien fixing it. Made 2 builds and had lots of fun. Most people are biased about their own creations. I think mine might suck technically but to make your own is half the fun. Picked up from a friend a pair of Polk RT 35i resently and think the sound dare good. My AR2 build with original woofer Vifa mids and t? 2000 tweets hold up to my low standards. In the end music always sounds good. Everyone have a great week end Chattanooga kite festive tomorrow Montegue Park. Hope to meet some new friends Fly High Michael marmarasmichael@gmail.com
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's never a good idea to post your personal contact info on an open forum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bearz
    bearz Posts: 10
    Thanks for you introduction to the forum
    Look forward to sharing some ideas and opinions Michael marmarasmichael@gmail.com