5U4 - 5R4GY Rectifier Tubes.

Options
Anyone use these? Been thinking of trying them in my ModWright Power Supply, definitely not as pricey as the 5AR4’s can be, I have landed a couple deals, but getting a good one can be $200 and up range for a tube..

For the price of what some of the 5U4/5R4GY are in comparison, seems like they might be worth trying.

Thoughts?

Just stick with the 5AR4’s?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited April 2022
    Options
    umm... do you want to use an HV rectifier with a larger voltage drop than the 5AR4?
    The 5U4 also draws considerably more filament current than the other two types -- can your gizmo's power supply manage the extra filament load?

sup7rnzzxbtj.png
    abstracted from http://www.fourwater.com/files/fullrect.txt
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I had read about the filament current somewhere else on the 5U4 doing some reading, and yes I can use any of these tubes in my power supply.

External PS 9.0 v. 10 with tube rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5R4GYS 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents).

I’m not going to pretend to be some tube guru here, I have learned more in the last few months, and I still feel overwhelmed with it all.

It’s fun, but man can you nerd out on this stuff..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    It’s fun, but man can you nerd out on this stuff..

Hey now! It's all Docs fault.... He's got charts and stuff.
    😎
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Don't get me wrong -- I am all about the right-brain, touchie-feely stuff in hifi. I mean, heck, I use an amplifier that's good for about 3.5 watt per channel at 10% THD. :#

... but sometimes, ye bump up again' th' laws o' physics, Cap'n!
    ;)

I could probably send you a "potato masher" 5R4WGY to try if you want. I know there are a couple here and I am pretty sure there are several, you know. They're good enough for B-52s (BUFFs, that is, not that rock group), so probably good for hifi too. B) Kind of big though.

The 5U4 is a good tube and there are zillions of them out there because they were so common in TVs (esp. color TVs) for decades. I could send you a 5U4, too, but it wouldn't be a 5U4G. Those are 'collectible' and pricey. I think there's one "G" here, and I also think it's kind of tired.

Either tube is gonna lower the output voltages of the P/S (unless there's a regulator in the P/S that keeps the output voltages so low that the choice of tube doesn't matter). Decreasing HV will probably increase HD and may change the spectrum of the distortion products -- that may result in subjectively better sound, of course. As a DHT amp user, I am in no position to throw stones vis-a-vis euphonious distortion ;)

Either of the above-mentioned rectifiers would be plinkers (pulls). Tested, but not NOS. Just to be clear about that.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    The patato mashers are pretty cheap all things considered. They go for less than $30 NOS on ebay, some for less that $20. I've tossed around buying one for kicks.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeppers. Lotsa BUFFs... and lots of Mil Surplus. :)
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My inquisitiveness got the better of me so I nerded out :p .... a little.. Found this covers a ton of rectifiers, some I've never heard of. UNLESS I've over looked them I've not seen the mashers listed as we know them 5R4WGY. I see G/GY so if that is the same as WGY I apologize for my error

http://www.fourwater.com/files/fullrect.txt
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    they don't seem to be part of that list -- which I think is aimed mostly at gee-tar players (FWIW).
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong -- I am all about the right-brain, touchie-feely stuff in hifi. I mean, heck, I use an amplifier that's good for about 3.5 watt per channel at 10% THD. :#

... but sometimes, ye bump up again' th' laws o' physics, Cap'n!
    ;)

I could probably send you a "potato masher" 5R4WGY to try if you want. I know there are a couple here and I am pretty sure there are several, you know. They're good enough for B-52s (BUFFs, that is, not that rock group), so probably good for hifi too. B) Kind of big though.

The 5U4 is a good tube and there are zillions of them out there because they were so common in TVs (esp. color TVs) for decades. I could send you a 5U4, too, but it wouldn't be a 5U4G. Those are 'collectible' and pricey. I think there's one "G" here, and I also think it's kind of tired.

Either tube is gonna lower the output voltages of the P/S (unless there's a regulator in the P/S that keeps the output voltages so low that the choice of tube doesn't matter). Decreasing HV will probably increase HD and may change the spectrum of the distortion products -- that may result in subjectively better sound, of course. As a DHT amp user, I am in no position to throw stones vis-a-vis euphonious distortion ;)

Either of the above-mentioned rectifiers would be plinkers (pulls). Tested, but not NOS. Just to be clear about that.

I appreciate the offer, and thanks for sharing the info.

I did pick up a Sylvania 5U4G Ribbed black plate, a Sylvania 5U4GB, and a RCA 5R4GY to play with, all for around $150 shipped, and all NOS.. I was just planning on playing with just a couple of them but the guy threw out a decent deal on the RCA so I was what the hell..

Honestly I’m not expecting much difference from the 5AR4’s, especially in the PS, but for the cost of admission it’s worth playing with IMO, if nothing else I have three back up tubes..