Hand cramps when working out

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,871
For some reason when I work out, as of late, I get major cramps in my hands while using free weights. Anyone experience this and if so what have you done to help.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalance is a common cause. If upping the fluids before lifting doesn't help is there something you changed recently in how you work out?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I used to have a hand or two want to close up due to the palms cramping. I had quit smoking around that time. I worked hard always, like working out so maybe there's a link.

My wife got leg cramps and her doctor told her to eat bananas for Potassium. It helped her 90% or more. She's been eating them for 10 to 20 years since then.

Here's a line from the web on hand cramps;

2. Nutrient deficiency
    Several nutrient deficiencies can contribute to cramping in the hands and fingers, especially vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.

I hope you get the cramps solved and behind you.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Do you have decent gloves? I like the Bionic Marshawn Lynch ones. Best glove I've ever worn. Incredibly comfortable, great grip, and my hands never seem to get tired. Plus, they make you feel like a tough guy. Sometimes I just wear them around, like at the grocery store, and I point at people with them on. Some run away, others approach and ask for my autograph and want to take selfies with me and my gloves. They're that powerful.

Is it just in your hands or up your wrists?

You haven't had any recent overuse or repetitive stress injuries, have you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I agree with upping your fluid intake and most especially water. Is there a particular exercise that gives cramps? I'm betting dead lifts or shrugs where your fingers trying to grip the heavy weights are getting overtaxed. Listen to your body; if there's a particular movement that's causing issues stop doing it, change the movement or lower the weight and increase the reps.
  • Willow
    Options
    It's not cramps from lack of fluid. It's from gripping the weights.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Don't walk your fingers so much.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I used to get hand cramps from workouts or intense gripping activities such as painting with a roller but I found out if I stop and drink beer it goes away. Now I just drink beer.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    It's not cramps from lack of fluid. It's from gripping the weights.

But it's cramps, not tendon or soft tissue pain?

Maybe try some lifting straps for a while to give your hands a break? I liked to wrap them around the back of a pullup bar, for example, toward me, which would lock them in when there was force.

Another approach would be skipping gripping the weights altogether, and just going telekinesis. Or that electro-stim stuff. You can approximate this, just to see if it works, by repetitively using a stun gun on yourself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Gloves are for weaklings
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Gloves are for weaklings

And proctologist 👉
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would suspect your hand muscles are the weak point in the muscle chain. I had a similar issue years ago, and bought some tools like this. Worked great.

qwamdt7blpsi.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Edisalute-smartinlife-Strengthener-Gripper-Grippers/dp/B01MXHXSNP/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3K0XCFFZMXATS&keywords=hand+grip+strengthener&qid=1650421752&sprefix=Hand+grip+,aps,681&sr=8-7
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorstereo
    Options
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    Stretching exercises for the hand prior to working out might help. This is worth a read:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/take-that-muscle-cramps
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Willow
    Options
    Your fingers are giving before the much stronger arm muscles are. I've personally never used these hooks but they seem like a better idea than the straps which I have used and didn't care for.

https://armageddonsports.com/products/weight-lifting-wrist-hooks-straps-deadlift?variant=12686721810521&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping&msclkid=e1c2feeca300116d6e5b9cb36392b2e1&utm_term=4588536901196438&utm_content=Ad group #1

I've ordered some to give them a try. I have large hands and the dumbbell grips I find too small. I tried grip extenders and found them inconvenient as I have to either buy many or change them out on the weights, plus I found them too large. They are due to arrive tomorrow and it's my workout day fingers crossed they arrive before hand so I can try them out.

Thank you to everyone who provided insight.
  • motorstereo
    Options
    ^^^^^Glad to hear you're giving them a try and I'd be interested in knowing how they work out (no pun intended) for you.
    I'm curious to know how heavy are the dumbells that you're losing your grip on?
  • Willow
    Options
    It can range from 15 to 30lbs. For some reason, I can do say 10 to 15 reps then I have to put them down and shake out my hands and let them rest for a bit before I continue. I will let you know what I think of the grips.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It can range from 15 to 30lbs. For some reason, I can do say 10 to 15 reps then I have to put them down and shake out my hands and let them rest for a bit before I continue. I will let you know what I think of the grips.

That, honestly, sounds like a repetitive stress injury.

I've been dealing with pain in my left forearm right where the tendons anchor to the elbow and I'm pretty sure it's from repetitive stress from some heavy demolition work I did late last year that I haven't let heal properly. Feels like little tears whenever I flex my hand a certain way.

Right arm isn't much better. Feels fine until I have to do something like lift a coffee cup up to take a sip. Depending on what I was doing the day before, I have to use both hands in case my hand decides to give out.

Do your hands go numb or tingly at all?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,456
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Gloves will help. I use them also. Try looking over your schedule & if you have to do wrist & hands, do it on a different day/time.. You may be over doing yourself.. I know when I damage areas I take a week off. If competing I will take time off also before the big bench
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Options
    Meant to share this the other day.

Whenever my hands/wrists act up, initially from a weird injury wrestling fence posts, I wear braces like this for a few nights to properly rest my hands/forearms. This brace has a pocket for a metal insert that you custom bend to place the hand in the resting position, which is slightly raised from being straight out. I think it places your fingers and some associated forearm mechanics into a neutral position. Try it - hold your forearm straight up in front of you, relax your fingers and flex your wrist moving your hand up and down from horizontal to vertical. Watch what your fingers do and see which position your fingers are relaxed. Usually one night makes a significant difference.

Another thing you might consider, knowing you enjoy bikes, is your grip on the bike. Could be getting some strain there, too. Sometimes I'll wear regular wrist wraps for a while if I'm having issues while riding. It's usually temporary, but sometimes achy or my hands get numb.

This one looks like a slightly shorter version of the ones I have. I think the longer one restricts the wrist movement more, but it fits funny if you don't have the atrophied forearms of a T-Rex.
    https://www.amazon.com/Orthosis-Modabber-Perforated-Hely-Weber/dp/B0053D1YJK/

I have mine set up so that the bend is a little steeper than the bottom right photo.
    8sq3sclfsayb.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

I've been dealing with pain in my left forearm right where the tendons anchor to the elbow and I'm pretty sure it's from repetitive stress from some heavy demolition work I did late last year that I haven't let heal properly. Feels like little tears whenever I flex my hand a certain way.

Right arm isn't much better. Feels fine until I have to do something like lift a coffee cup up to take a sip. Depending on what I was doing the day before, I have to use both hands in case my hand decides to give out.

They cramp up around the thumb muscle and index and also down the side/ muscle that goes down from the base of the pinkie
  • Willow
    Options
    ^^^^^Glad to hear you're giving them a try and I'd be interested in knowing how they work out (no pun intended) for you.
    I'm curious to know how heavy are the dumbells that you're losing your grip on?

Tried them out. I can see the usefulness of them for certain excercise but it makes it impossible to get a good grip as there is no room to slide fingers around it and the bar to properly grasp it. It was also very unstable due to the curve of the bar. I was afraid it would slip out and fall on my feet not to mention I spent more time try to stabilize the dumbbell and risking injury. Flat bars I see this working very well. they are going back to Amazon.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

They cramp up around the thumb muscle and index and also down the side/ muscle that goes down from the base of the pinkie

Well cramps are indicative of muscle injury. Numbness or tingling is usually indicative of tendon/ligament stress/injury/inflammation as they will pinch nerves.

But the outside of the arm, does the pain radiate around your arm when it cramps or just along that muscle? If it doesn't radiate that is tennis elbow and most definitely repetitive stress injuries. The cramping in the index finger and thumb may be related as it's the rest of your arm is compensating for the tennis elbow.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Willow
    Options
    It's just in the hands. Which is weird as I have very strong hands. I'm no hulk or chuck Norris but I've got strength. Wonder if I'm death gripping the bars ...really odd
  • msg
    Options
    That was one of my first thoughts. Have you tried a more relaxed grip?

Have you seen those gloves that are like neoprene pads with thumb and loops for the fingers? I used those for years. Used to love 'em. Might provide the extra thickness around the bar that you need for a more comfortable grip on bars that are skinny for your Tony Robbins banana hands.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorstereo
    Options
    I'm thinking you may want to get that checked out by a physician. Carpel tunnel or worse yet nerve damage would be my guess if you're struggling to hold on to a 15-30lb dumbbell. Weights that light should not causing problems even for a beginner. You also may be making the problem worse by trying to work around it rather than correcting it.
    Good luck to you as I have about 40 years of dealing with carpel tunnel syndrome and I know firsthand it's annoying on a good day and downright painful on a not so good day.