New to the FORUMS

knight007
knight007 Posts: 18
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all I am a newbie to Polk Audio forums. I just purchased the DB650 and DB6500. It's not installed yet because I am waiting for my amps to come in. However, the demo that was done using these speakers made it clear that I HAD to have them. Any do's and don'ts about these?
Post edited by knight007 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    The DB are excellent speakers and youll be quite happy with them. They arent as good as the Momos in my opinion but are very good nonetheless.

If you havent picked out your amps yet I would recommend something in the 75 watt per channel range. The components are rated at 100 watts but the coaxials are only 60. 75 will be a good mix between the two. Not to little so as to not get all the comps potential but not too much as to burn up the coax. Plus you should be running the rear with a lower gain setting anyway so as not to pull your soundstage too far to the rear.

Now all youll need is a sub. I prefer sound quality over sheer decibels so I would go with a single 10 or 12. For power, a good rule of thumb is to go at least with the total power you will have to your speakers, in this case 300. An even better rule is to go with double that which would be 600. Compromising again I would go with the MM104 and find an amp that runs around 450 to 500 rms. I wouldnt go much more than that as Polk Audio speakers seem to not like overpowering very much and tend to fry.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    welcome to the forum!
    sounds like you already have your amp picked out...whatd ya get?
    i love the DB speakers, awesome speakers for the price
    i agree with pretty much everything macleod said...ive never heard of the "double your speaker power and that should be your sub" before...i have a rule too..."double your speakers power, double that number, and add 200 watts and that should be your subs power"
    but thats just me:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    LOLOL!!

I see youve met Cody. He is of the "You Can Never Have Too Much Power" discipline. If memory serves he is currently running close to 2000 watts!

We have a lot of different philosophys on here. None of them are wrong, just different approaches so youll get a lot of good info from a lot of different veiwpoints.

Im a strict SQ guy. My ideal system would be something like a pair of components and a single sub with around 600 total watts and Ill be happy. I want enough power to make the speakers perform at their best and be able to deliver the listening levels I like without distortion. Ive never cared for entertaining all the cars at a stop light so I dont need kilowatt power ranges. Besides, I listen strictly to metal and heavy guitars and you turn those up to super loud levels and your ears will start to bleed. But thats just me! ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    egh...only 16-1700 watts RMS
    im an SQ guy too...
    i go to a concert and i can feel the bass shaking my chest...so thats what im striving for:D
    in fact, i went to a drowning pool concert yesterday...it was pretty good...their old singer was better, but their new singer is pretty good as well
    in 2 years, i can say ill have 3600 watts RMS
    all done with some of the best SQ speakers available
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    I have the db650's in the rear and I love them. They're running off my HU, so I have to put the xover around 120Hz so they don't distort from lack of power on the bass hits, but they do sound very nice. Just make sure you give them enough power and you'll be set!
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    And remember, there is a point where more power will not make a speaker sound any better. Itll just make it louder and cut down on the life of the speaker.

• exalted512
    edited June 2004
    NOW you tell me...
    maybe thats why im on Polk/MOMO subs number 7 and 8
    -Cody
  • knight007
    edited June 2004
    Well I am a newb when it comes to SQ, SPL, and DB. All I want is a system that will give me a balance of these two: Great theatre like sounds when I play DVD movies and BASS when I listen to my R&B, Hip Hop, Rock. Currently here's what I had in mind but please feel free to criticize because again I am a newb.

7" LCD w/330,000(avg) Pixels
    In-Dash DVD/MP3/CD/CD-R/Tv-Tuner
    AudioBahn A8000T mono block amp (Intake Series)
    AudioBahn A6004T 4 channel (Intake Series)
    Polk Audio DB6500
    Polk Audio DB650
    Image Dynamics IDMax V.3 12" Subwoofer

Now Audiobahn states that the A8000T runs at 800watts RMS @ 2ohms so it should push the IDMax V.3. However, the price of the sub is some what intimidating.

Any suggestions please REPLY!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    Wow, you’ve got two different levels of equipment there; you listed polk’s dB series and audiobahn amps, but a kickass headunit and a kickass sub (not that the dBs dont rock, theyre just not at the level of the HU and sub you listed). Because you’re going for theatre sounds, I’d move to a 5-channel setup. Wait, how much money do you have to spend? It sounds like a lot, but how much exactly?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • knight007
    edited June 2004
    Here is what I paid for

7" LCD and HeadUnit = $450
    Polk DB 650 & 6500 = $145
    Audiobahn Amps (A6004T & A8000T) = $460
    Image Dynamics Subs = Still looking for a great price currently I found $330 for 1x 12"

Any other suggestions as far as Subs? I can also get the JL 12W6 V3. for $179.99 but its back ordered. Or should I get a different set up. Please let me know. Total amount $1300 - $1400.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    do you already have the Audiobahn amps or is that just what youre looking at?
    as far as the ID subs go, they used to not be that expensive but i just checked out sounddomain and they were $400...
    you can get an adire brahma 10" sub for $340 off of www.sound-foundations.us
    they have a higher power handling and less distortion
    the ID Max is still a sweet as sub though!
    dont skimp out and go with JL...
    -Cody
  • knight007
    edited June 2004
    Okay so here's the deal with my subs and amps:

AudioBahn A8000T mono block
    AudioBahn A6004T 4 Channel
    1x 10" ID Max V.3

Any comments on how this set up could be totally wrong or suggestions on complete Polk Audio Setup?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i think youre doing good but i dont like audiobahn
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, dont skimp out and go with JL. After all, Car Audio & Electronics called the 12W6 the best sounding sub theyve ever tested...but what the hell do they know?! :rolleyes: If you can get a 12W6 for $170, jump on it!

I dont like Audiobahn that much either. For amps Id recommend MTX or Kicker in the $350 and below range and JL Audio or Orion in the $400+ league.

If you already dont have the speakers yet Id recommend going with the Momo series rather than the DB. The Momo is simply a much better speaker and youll be a lot happier with it.

• knight007
    edited June 2004
    I would jump on the JL 12W6 but its back ordered and they are dual 6ohm which would leave me at 3ohms bridged??!! (If I'm correct) and the Autobahn A8000T is 800watts @ 2ohms. Geez this is the hardiest decision to make.

All this is going into my 2003 Audi A4. Oh and has anyone heard of Elemental Designs? Pros and Cons???
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    OK then, that makes a little more sense. 6 ohms subs are meant for using 3 and bridging them in mono which would give you a 4 ohm load.....at least I think so!

AAGGHH!! ED is a naughty word 'round here! :D

Your first thoughts were pretty right, Image Dynamics makes excellent subs, so if you go that way youll be just fine.

Another option to look at is Diamond Audio. Their CM3 series are relatively cheap ($125-200), take a lot of power (400-600) and work in extremely small enclosures (.27 and up). Diamond Audio is awesome gear and the CM3 are gonna be hard to beat on a dollar vs performance comparo.

• knight007
    edited June 2004
    OOPS sorry about the ED word! :D

What about ARC? I heard they're team consists of Old School Punch.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    i effin hate ED
    their owner is an ****, his customer's are asses, and so i associate the speakers with the ED name on it with ****...
    as far as Arc Audio, they make good stuff
    what exatly are you looking for?
    subs, amps, full range?
    do you already have the amps, if not, id highly recommend you to change your mind unless youre dead set
    ive always heard audiobahn amps dont hold up to well
    and as far as Car Audio and Electronics goes, ive never, to this day, seen a bad review of anything they have tried...
    ever
    i dont trust them as far as i can throw a JL sub
    and the W7 is pretty heavy:D
    i really dont think you can go wrong with ID, they have great customer service and are a great company...just make sure you get the v.3s
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512

and as far as Car Audio and Electronics goes, ive never, to this day, seen a bad review of anything they have tried...
    ever

-Cody

Well because most manufactuers arent going to send in their crap line to be reviewed. So CA&E get manufactuers best offerings which are usually pretty good. And if you dont think theyll trash one when it needs it then read their review on the 1000 watt Kenwood sub or Cliff Designs comonents speakers or Alphasoniks 5 channel amp or the MB Quart Premium subwoofer. Those are all pretty prominent names in the car audio world and while CA&E didnt trash them outright the review overall wasnt very favorable.

CA&E also gave exrtemely high marks to the Polk 300.2 amp and I dont think any of us would disagree with that one!

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    CA&E also gave exrtemely high marks to the Polk 300.2 amp and I dont think any of us would disagree with that one!
    amen!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • knight007
    edited June 2004
    What recommendations do you folks have as far as Mono Block and 4 Channel amps? I was set on AudioBahn but it seems like alot of people have had nothing but BAD things to say about them. I just recently returned from a Tweeter AutoSound competition (Sunday) and some guy who promotes ARC just plain out stated that AudioBahn is TRASH. However, I wanted to know why he thought that because usually most of the shows that I've atteneded, the majority of the cars had AudioBahn. Also, on Car Domain their reviews from CUSTOMERS not the critiques, had nothing but great things to say about AudioBahn. As far as Image Dynamics, well I can only afford their ID Max 10" Ver.3 so thats all set but as far as AMPS, I'm just getting all these mixed emotions. :rolleyes:
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    they have lots of reliability problems and not exactly filled with options either
    the reason u see good reviews about them is either
    a. because they dont know better because they dont have experience with other amps
    b. because they have chrome flames...and anything with chrome flames must be good...
    or
    c. all of the above
    go to www.acaraudio.com and check out HiFonics
    then go to www.sounddomain.com, they will match or beat prices from acaraudio
    plus, acaraudio are not authorized dealers, sounddomain is
    -Cody
  • knight007
    edited June 2004
    Okay maybe this is more like what I want. Here's what I found:

HiFonics Brutus BX1500D Class D Mono Block Amp
    HiFonics ZX6400 Zeus Series 4 Channel Amp

The company is well known and I've heard alot of GREAT reviews on both amps from Car Domain .

As far as the subwoofers, well I'm going to stick with the ID Max V3 10". The price for both amps are about $500.00.

However, any suggestions or Pro's and Con's about the listed amps is appreciated.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    looks great to me:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Ive never even laid eyes on a Hifonics amp and I have an attitude toward them but only because their stupid website's dealer locator has been "coming soon" now for about, oh, 7-8 months and Ive written them countless emails trying to find a local dealer and they all go unanswered to f**k 'em!

However, most of the guys on here swear by Hifonics and I trust their opinion so they would be a good choice.

Still, for $400, I would rather see ya get one of these
    MTX Thunder564 beauties. It puts out an underrated 70x4 (more like 90x4) and is built like a tank with distortion specs in the .02-.04 range and according to Carsound, is "one of the best in the business" when it comes to noise specs. Cant beat em.

Then for a matching set for $500 try this MTX Thunder801D. Again this thing is underrated at 400x1 or 800x2 but you can bet that your sub will be getting at least 900 clean watts.

MTX are just about my favorite amps. They arent the best in the world but, like Polk Audio, you have to look to products costing a lot more to beat em...and then its not by that much.

• knight007
    edited June 2004
    Thanks for all your recommendations!:D But I think I will stick with the HiFonics set up on my amps and ID Max V.3 12" for my subs. Now on to building a custom enclosure. I'm thinking of showing off the amps and since my trunk space is so huge and i don't want to sacrifice too much of it. I will be taking pictures once all this is done.