New veterinary doctor but maybe not for long.

Options
We have been customers of a vet ever since they opened their doors some 10+ years ago. That doctor retired and sold it to another person. On our first visit to the new doctor I was not happy with the service(excessive wait time) but figured maybe they are having a rough day.

We have been ordering heart worm medication online for several years now as it was cheaper than the exact medication from the vet. The former vet had no problem with this. Today I get an email from the online company that our new vet will not allow the order. Called the vet and was told they have their own online "pharmacy" and we need to go through them saying the cost will be within 8% of anybody else's price. True, the vet's cost was only $5 more than the other place.

This pisses me off. When our family doctor prescribes anything for us we are not told where to purchase that medication from. I should have the right to purchase any medication anywhere, no matter the source especially when it is the exact medication from the same manufacturer. I think we'll be changing vet. which is too bad as they are conveniently located for us. When I mentioned this on the phone the vet office just said OK. I guess we are no longer a valued customer to them.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Wow! With customer service like that, I’m sure the excessive wait times won’t be a problem much longer.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Bob,
    I've been through the same when mine retired. The problem from some online medication suppliers are that they can have extremely close or short expiration dates. Petmeds online got caught sending out expired medications or changing the date by removing from the factory packaging or not kept within a controlled temp safe for medication.
    ( which affects how well the medicine will work)

I now order mine from Australia who does NOT require prescriptions to be sent in so you can purchase. Same medicine only exception is in metric weight instead of English weight. That is an option. I order a full year in advance and all has had very lengthy expiration dates as to not be a problem. They also let me know when there is a sale on items and it helps a ton to get an extra $25-50 savings.

This is the place and the med's I now use. They do have others and you must convert from Aus. dollars to US which knocks some off the price. It has been very good at coming to me in 15-25 days. It did take about 2.5months at the very beginning of COVID just because of the 14days in quarantine before it could leave there and another 14 days in quarantine once in the US.

https://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au/nexgard-spectra-dog-extra-large-dog-30-1-60kg-red

My dog weighs 60lbs.

I do however encourage you to still get a heartworm and parasite test done on a regular basis.
    This does not do any tapeworm if your dog eats rabbit p oop or kills and eats an infected rabbit.
    Ask me how I know :wink:
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    If the cost isn't much different and I liked the vet I'd just suck it up and use their source for prescription meds. If I didn't like the vet anyway I'd find another one regardless of the prescription meds policy.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Modern vets have become like modern doctors.
    I miss the old school guys. New guys want us to pay
    for blood tests for the cat. Why? I don't even do blood tests
    for me. Not going to shell out $600 to test a cat that wandered
    into my yard a couple years ago. Heaven help me if they got
    ahold of my 21 year old cat. They'd see dollar signs all over
    her.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    It's the way of the world.....the prescription thing is a revenue stream for them. And, I know my vet pretty well.....and independent vets are getting swallowed up by the Banfields of the world as there isn't as much profit in the business as you'd think so many are doing everything they can to make a few extra bucks.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Modern vets have become like modern doctors.
    I miss the old school guys. New guys want us to pay
    for blood tests for the cat. Why? I don't even do blood tests
    for me. Not going to shell out $600 to test a cat that wandered
    into my yard a couple years ago. Heaven help me if they got
    ahold of my 21 year old cat. They'd see dollar signs all over
    her.

I would pay for the blood work for a dog, but not a cat... :p Actually I would pay for some labs, especially when making a decision to have them put down, as there are conditions that could be detected that might prolong life. My American Eskimo hadnher life extended by almost two years thanks to bloodwork being done.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited April 2022
    Options
    You know we're all far gone when we'd spend thousands on cables, but not hundreds for a blood test. :smiley:

edit: I've never spent thousands on cables.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    We have spent a small fortune over the years on our pets with no regrets. I chose the vets and paid them promptly and for the most part it has been money well spent. I do not like anybody telling me I need to do business with them exclusively. They aren't the only game in town. Money is not the primary factor here, it's the principal.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Money is not the primary factor here, it's the principal.

Agree 100%