Poor warranty

Options
My audio video store managed to put me off long enough till my warranty on my PSW 505 ran out. Covid was the excuse.

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Your PSW505 had Covid? I knew pets could get it, but this is the first I've heard of subwoofers. Has your sub been vaccinated?
  • RickDurksen
    Options
    No, but I’ve been giving it invermectin ,vitC and zinc. Unfortunately it’s still coughing and spluttering.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Is it an amp (3 year factory warranty) or the driver (5 year factory warranty) problem?

Most people experience problems with the amp if there is a problem. Mine's still working fine, but it was from a late production run.

There have been tales of people fixing the amp section themselves. Not sure Polk can even offer a swap for the amp anymore whether it's in or out of warranty coverage.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Hey, Rick. I love your reply!

With that said, it sure does sound like your dealer was the issue here and not Polk. What is the issue with the sub?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • RickDurksen
    Options
    Three years ago after it sat in storage in our basement for six months unused, it started to cut out and I would have to turn it off and back on again. Sometimes several times to get the red light to turn green. Then it would work for a while. Then it would happen again. Now it just makes distorting noises and cuts out but will work for a second. Then nothing. Just progressively got worse. I’m sure it’s the amp. And yes Visions Electronics in Grande Prairie Alberta has given me the run around. Despite that I ordered another one on line from them because they had a PSW 505 on sale for 58% off. Couldn’t resist the deal but a little disgusted with myself for still doing business with them. They’re two and a half hours away, the closest audio video store from here that deals with Polk. Always have liked Polk. I would still like to get my old one fixed if it’s affordable.
  • RickDurksen
    Options
    I would install an amp myself if I knew were to get one and the cost was reasonable.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,490
    Options
    I responded to your "pathetic warranty" thread on the same subject.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Probably had whopping cough, but the doctor said it was Covid..

Or would that be a woofer cough??
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I would install an amp myself if I knew were to get one and the cost was reasonable.

I think that the dayton SPA-250 (https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA250-250-Watt-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-803) is a pretty close match and fits with a little modding. But of course at that point you might just want to purchase a different sub. Polk makes great speakers for the money, subs not so much...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • RickDurksen
    Options
    Ok, I wish I could change the title of my discussion here, but I can’t. Polk Audio came through with a new amp for my sub with no questions asked other than the serial number. They have treated me very good. I can’t remember ever being treated like this. I am thankful. I didn’t think anyone was going to help so I went and bought another one the same. Now I will have two. The sound will be spectacular. Planning a fabricated metal stereo / TV stand to house these two beauties and the amps. They’ll be on the floor facing backwards with foam dampening them like I have with the one now. Thank you Polk Audio for your excellent customer service. I will be broadcasting on social media and to others verbally how you treat your customers.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hello and good evening to you sir. While you may do that? Join in on the fun. Try posting on the forum with your complaints, gripes or discoveries on what excites you and your listening experience.

Your dealer may have let you down but Polk (apparently) didn't.

Don't change your title.....join in on the fun!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • RickDurksen
    Options
    I’ve posted my praises about Polk Audio now on Facebook. Not only do they make awesome sounding audio but also stand behind their products with a bullet proof warranty. I can’t wait to get the amp they sent me installed in my 12” sub. Now I have two, as I bought a new one exactly the same a month ago. Dual subs is always better than one, right? Thank you Polk Audio.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Dual subs are definitely better than one! (Spoken from experience)

Tom