Strange reply from Polk, LSiM 703s tube amp power requirements

Options
Hi all,

My friend is bringing over a small tube amp because he wants see what it sounds like on my LSiM 703's. It only has 10 watts/channel power output (4 ohm), so I wanted to make sure it won't damage my speakers since Polk specifies "20-200 watts for solid state amplification". I was curious what they would say about tube power requirements, so I sent an email to Polk.

They replied: "If you're going to use a tube amplifier, it has to have a 150 watts power."

Really????!!! This seems completely incorrect to me, am I misinformed or do they just have incompetent tech support?

EDIT: 10 watts/channel @ 4 ohms

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The average Polk “customer service” agent doesn’t know jack **** about audio. They are outsourced customer service just like very other company. You need to get ahold of the people who know what they are doing at escalated levels of support to get actual knowledge.

The lsims are hungry but 10 watts will be fine, as with all sources of amplication, don’t overdrive what the amplifier is able to cleanly put out and you won’t damage the speakers
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Hahah, that's a funny answer! No, in reality they will likely play fine with 10wpc as long as you're not trying to hit 95db.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would think a watt is a watt irrespective of the source, and the issue is whether the amp can handle a 4 ohm load. The speakers might play, but I suspect not very loud. You might break either the amp or speakers trying to get some volume. Try it and let us know the result.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jdeecraigslist
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would think a watt is a watt irrespective of the source, and the issue is whether the amp can handle a 4 ohm load. The speakers might play, but I suspect not very loud. You might break either the amp or speakers trying to get some volume. Try it and let us know the result.

Well, my goal is not to break either one, hence the reason I asked!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Tube amp power output is different from solid state amp power and the recommended power output ratings into speakers don't take tube amplification into account. 10 watts per channel from a tube amp is fine with most speakers. I'd be way more concerned about using a 20 watt per channel solid state amp than I would a 10 watt per channel tube amp.

But, to an extent the answer of how the amp will perform depends on the quality of the amp and its power supply, the type of power output tubes, the sensitivity of the speakers being driven, and a few other factors.

Hook it up and see how it sounds.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You will get sound, but a 10wpc tube amp is not enough to bring those speakers to life. For that matter, neither will a 20wpc SS amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Just for S's and Giggles, a buddy of mine and I hooked up a 10 watt amp to a pair of very power hungry Apogees. We got sound and it sounded, really, really good even though the lower registers weren't what we were used to hearing out of those speakers. They key was that you could (and very quickly) hear the tube amp exhaust itself when the volume went up, even up just a little bit.
    If you're going to use a tube amplifier, it is suggested to have a 150 watts power in order to extract the most out of the speaker.

Perhaps this would have been a more appropriate response from Polk. I still think 150 watts is a bit much for those speakers and a tube amp (40-60 should suffice just fine IME). I had mine hooked up to 18 watt tubed mono blocks and it was fine for watching TV (never used it for 2 channel listening on that rig) or the wife listening to tunes on the music channels through the TV.

As for harming your amp or the speakers? What ohm taps do you have on your tube amp or if it doesn't have taps, what ohm rating can the tube amp handle? (4, 6, 8, 16 ohms?)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I suppose if you kept the volume at low to reasonable levels, you wouldn't have a problem. You know how that goes though, every so often cranking it up is what we do. This is where you might run into problems by taxing a 10 watt tube amp too much, thus killing the tubes earlier than they should be. Depending on the tubes your using, some aren't cheap, so anything that is going to shorten their life might warrant some consideration.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Actually, it shouldn't hurt the tubes (assuming a class AB push-pull amplifier designed around the optimal operating parameters for the tubes*), but as the linear range of the amp is exceeded, the sound will become (typically) strained, thin, and ultimately, yes, distorted.

* Actually, in the case of a Class A (single-ended or "full-on" biased push-pull) vacuum amplfier, the amp is actually (ahem, theoretically) a bit more efficient at maximum signal output power than at idle, since at idle 100% of the power is being dissipated as heat, all of the time! :) In other words, a Class A tube amp's tubes could last longer at full audio power output than run at idle! B) Of course, in reality, that's not the case, but the 'conclusion' stands -- running the amp at high output power won't add undue strain to the output tubes (nor should it to the small signal tubes in the "front end", which are often Class A in almost all vacuum tube designs, except, perhaps, in some balanced amps).

• jdeecraigslist
    Options
    Update: it worked really well! The volume is definitely loud enough for my living room and the sound is great. With a really boosted signal (CD player) it was able to get super loud at only around 25% on the volume knob. With a MM phono input it was probably at around 50-60% on the knob and still pretty loud.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Just goes to show, sometimes you have to experiment for yourself.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited April 2022
    Options
    hard to beat empiricism -- although in, e.g., the case of the study being performed in @heiney9's avatar, empiricism is sometimes not the best choice if alternatives exist. B)