Cutting up a long Pangea power cable, should I?

Options
Hello all! Hope you’re all doing well, it’s been a while since I’ve done much on here.

I find myself in need of couple more cables and Pangea is what I’ve always used but I only have one short 14SE cord. I have my sub hooked up with one that’s something like 14’ long and was thinking of cutting it a few times and making some shorter ones with copper plugs. The idea mostly comes from the price of the new 14SE going up and possibly no one wanting the long one I have so I can repurpose the funds for new cables. Plus I like doing this type of thing and it’d be simple.

What would you do? Not really sure why I’m asking bc I’m pretty sure of what I want to do.
Home theater:
43” Westinghouse Displayer
Marantz UD-7007 Player
Emotiva MC-700 Processor
Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
Parasound Zamp Amplifier
Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
Klipsch RC-10 Center
Klipsch R34c Fronts
Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
Parasound P6 Preamplifer
Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Sure why not. Grab some quality connectors and go for it. Most power connectors are Phillips screw Terminals.

When I bought my power cables I purchased 2m and then cut in half so I didn't have to do the braid
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I am definitely also of the why not? school of thought.
    FWIW.

B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ... and now a word from the alternate point of view:

qfxzvl705tdu.png

This has been a public service announcement.
    :#

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I just bought some Cardas Rhodium over silver over pure copper IEC and power plugs to make some power cables in the future, when I decide on wire etc.. They *were* on sale at Sonicraft.

Hmm still on sale:
    https://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-3455r-male-ac-p-2110
    https://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-3455r-iec-p-2109
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Go for it, @Mr. Sharpe.
    I recently bought several sets of Cardas PCC ER and Cardas PCC EG cartridge clips (on sale) from Sonic Craft. I will cut up some wire to make my own headshell leads per a Jeff Day article. Trey had written about Dueland oil cloth covered wire and mentioned Jeff Day.
    Initially, I will use Gavitt cloth covered 22awg pre-tinned pushback vintage-style guitar wire for the headshell leads. Next, I plan to use Dueland DCA26GA tinned-copper wire to make additional headshell leads.

I also purchased 6 meters of Dueland Dual DCA16GA tinned-copper wire from Parts Connexion to cut up as I please. I have cut the 6 meters into 2 X 3 meters and have them in use as speaker wire. The wire is great. The next cable I will order to cutup will be Dueland Dual DCA12GA to use as speaker wire instead of the 16 gauge wire.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,519
    Options
    I sayth no.
    p96qdzrdv12x.jpg
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • VR3
    Options
    Go for it, @Mr. Sharpe.
    I recently bought several sets of Cardas PCC ER and Cardas PCC EG cartridge clips (on sale) from Sonic Craft. I will cut up some wire to make my own headshell leads per a Jeff Day article. Trey had written about Dueland oil cloth covered wire and mentioned Jeff Day.
    Initially, I will use Gavitt cloth covered 22awg pre-tinned pushback vintage-style guitar wire for the headshell leads. Next, I plan to use Dueland DCA26GA tinned-copper wire to make additional headshell leads.

I also purchased 6 meters of Dueland Dual DCA16GA tinned-copper wire from Parts Connexion to cut up as I please. I have cut the 6 meters into 2 X 3 meters and have them in use as speaker wire. The wire is great. The next cable I will order to cutup will be Dueland Dual DCA12GA to use as speaker wire instead of the 16 gauge wire.

The dca wiring is a phenominal value. I think you will really like the 12 awg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What kind of copper does Dueland use? Because of the prestige of their name they don't even need to specify this? Sorry, this stuff bugs me :o
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    Options
    No idea, maybe unicorn grade but it sounds excellent
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hopefully we can get a real-world review from our resident electron-flow guru.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I say go for it too, but...

Tripp-Lite 15 amp cords for under $10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027JRMD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

:)

I did not want to believe it but I have heard substantial differences in the SQ of my sub when a friend has twice brought over 6 ft. DIY power cables (one 12 and the other 14awg) made from teflon insulated UPOCC wire and the above plugs I mentioned. This is compared to a 14awg 6 ft Monoprice power cord.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I switched to the Tripp-Lite cords on my SVS SB-2000s a couple years ago. Turned out the heavy PS Audio, Kimber, and Pangea power cords I'd been using on them weren't doing anything positive. I do think it's good to have a good base to see where there might be improvements in a system. Most of the cords I use provide incremental improvements to my ears but at 20x the cost and up. Cutting up Pangea cords to make shorter ones could be worse than using a generic cord. I'd still do it though and try a good generic cord for comparison.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I switched to the Tripp-Lite cords on my SVS SB-2000s a couple years ago. Turned out the heavy PS Audio, Kimber, and Pangea power cords I'd been using on them weren't doing anything positive. I do think it's good to have a good base to see where there might be improvements in a system. Most of the cords I use provide incremental improvements to my ears but at 20x the cost and up. Cutting up Pangea cords to make shorter ones could be worse than using a generic cord. I'd still do it though and try a good generic cord for comparison.

Yeah I can't comment on the Pangea cords except to say that they are cagey regarding how much of their total copper is Cardas One and how much is just ordinary OFC. Also, they use PVC insulation, at least the ones I have checked. My friend's DIY cables were 100% Ohno Continuous Cast Copper with 100% teflon insulation.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I have some of the Pangea 14SE cords but not the MKII version. Personally, I've used them on a primary two channel and secondary system but don't think they're necessarily better than a good quality generic on a source component other than looking good. Not worth ten times the price to me in retrospect.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I started my power cord journey with Pangea. However, once I used a Shunyata Venom cable on my amp I discarded the Pangea, and went on a Shunyata journey.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Another option ($32 vs $75) for power cables if they are in stock.
    I purchased a couple of these for my subs.

mccndviajmgk.png
    6 foot Hardwired by Transparent
    3 conductor power cable.
    They changed the color of the ends so we got all of their NOS purple.
    Same construction as the model in the info link.
    Let us know how many you'd like at checkout.

https://echohifi.com/details/17145/Transparent_Perfect-Power-3
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027JRMD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I did not want to believe it but I have heard substantial differences in the SQ of my sub when a friend has twice brought over 6 ft. DIY power cables (one 12 and the other 14awg) made from teflon insulated UPOCC wire and the above plugs I mentioned. This is compared to a 14awg 6 ft Monoprice power cord.

out of... academic... curiosity :#
    1) what sort of substantial differences?
    2) for the better or... well, you know... the other kind?

;)

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    They are in stock....I just picked up a couple just because....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

Well first off on both occasions I wish I could've kept them for a few days to fully process, but in a few hours listening session each time it was clear that there was less bass with something the likes of Norah Jones "Just a Little Bit" from Begin Again, but it was cleaner and tighter. That surprised both of us and we both remarked that we could even turn the sub up a little. That is, I believe, very electronic synthesizer heavy bass material and I didn't think my sub was muddy prior to that but apparently it was a bit.

Then when listening to some material that had very deep but highly transient bass material like the gongs in Minnesota Orchestra: Copland "Fanfare for the Common Man" there was no desire to turn up the bass whatsoever! The gong was so much more impactful and full of texture/detail. Same was true of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" and Erich Kunzel - Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture.

So my impression is that the power supply in my amplifier is somewhat under designed storage-wise and was simply not capable of supplying those short term highly transient peaks in a distortion free manner but the high quality power cords made up for that deficiency.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    Sweet! Thanks for all the replies, another reason for cutting this up is I didn’t pay anything for it so it’s not like I’m losing anything. it was tossed in when I ordered my Furman PFI15 several years back.
    I probably won’t cut off the iec and plug that’s on it already. I have plenty of generic cables I can always compare with too! I like the way these looked when I started using them but when I changed from the regular 14 to the SE on my blu ray player I saw deeper blacks and better contrast. I had used the 14 for probably a year before switching it out, even my wife mentioned something about it bc I thought I was seeing things. I’ll probably post some pics once I get to doing this.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Exactly use the ends the Pangea came with and just but a set of plug and iec ends. Boom two cables....

Well unless you plan on making 3 cables out of it.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

The expensive ones had this loud sucking sound emanating from the purchasers wallet region followed by distant laughter.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Exactly use the ends the Pangea came with and just but a set of plug and iec ends. Boom two cables....

Well unless you plan on making 3 cables out of it.

I’m shooting for three, they don’t have to be really long, 3 feet would be very useful. I have two other regular 14’s but are .6m and idk if I’ll be able to use them:-/

one step at a time I guess😁
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    You cannot reuse the terminations as they are permanently molded to the cable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You cannot reuse the terminations as they are permanently molded to the cable.

Sure you can. You're not removing them. You're using the factory ends and adding either a plug or iec opposite of the factory end on the cut end.
    The third cable will need both new iec and plug on the cable.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I'll admit my workmanship isn't as good as what a factory can do so in my case I would find a use for that long cable before I'd attempt to butcher it.
    If you do chop it some pics would be nice.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    You could send it back to the manufacturer to be made into the desired lengths with factory ends.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    Options
    Power cable ends are super simple... Philips screw driver and maybe heat shrink on the wire before you install... Done. You can do it!
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    You could send it back to the manufacturer to be made into the desired lengths with factory ends.

Unfortunately Pangea cords don't work that way. Like F1nut said the ends are molded so they cannot be removed so like pitdogg2 said just use aftermarket plugs for the cut ends.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G