Lumin u1 mini versus lumin u1

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
So I have had the lumin u1 for a few months now.

The lumin u1 is a far superior transport to the mini. The high end, staging, across the board is a better product.

The lumin u1 mini with the s booster power supply sounds exactly the same as the u1.

End review.

Thanks for reading
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    A+++++ SOLID REVIEW, VERY CONCISE, FAST READ, HONEST REVIEWER, WOULD READ AGAIN!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Need pictures of the speakers Lumin U1
    VR3 wrote: »
    Came. Back to see pics... Sadly disappointed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    Options
    Only pics I have on hand. The u1 is a masterpiece as far as the chassis goes.

634e9wj0e8ym.jpg
    is18wsnmtpwk.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    A+++++ SOLID REVIEW, VERY CONCISE, FAST READ, HONEST REVIEWER, WOULD READ AGAIN!

Thanks Drew!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Trey, have you had your ears on a 851N? If so what do you think the delta to the mini is? At some point on the future, I am thinking about moving on from the 851N and trying to stay in the 2-3k price point if it makes sense to. A local group (and a dealer within) I am part of swear by the Matrix X Sabre 3 streamer/DAC but I am an exploring all the options
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Options
    The mini has no DAC, but I do recommend it as a dedicated streamer!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I will def be staying with an external DAC, the NSD for now and maybe something else in the future
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Options
    Lumin sets up in ten minutes or less, sounds impeccable and is compatible with most anything.

The mini definitely needs the s booster for the best sound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    The Lumin X1 power supply offers:

Solid billet construction using all the same techniques as your main chassis
    Thick aluminium walls provide even more shielding
    Available in anodised black and raw silver
    Supplied with a custom cable for S1 / A1 / T1 / U1 compatibility
    Separate digital and analogue circuitry
    Low-noise Linear Regulator
    The highest quality components used throughout

Price $2500

It better best the sBooster!

https://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-x1-psu.html
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    When I upgraded my Lumin S1 with the X1 power supply the sonic improvement was immediately apparent. Later when I bought an X1 it's improvement over the S1 was again immediately apparent. Now I'm looking forward to whatever replaces the X1 sometime in the future.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't see how the x1 power supply would benefit the u1. The main selling point is independent supplies for the analog and digital circuits... The u1 has no analog circuits.

Either way I'm not paying that much for a power supply. Maybe if one showed up used for 350 to 500, maybe
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited April 2022
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    When I upgraded my Lumin S1 with the X1 power supply the sonic improvement was immediately apparent. Later when I bought an X1 it's improvement over the S1 was again immediately apparent. Now I'm looking forward to whatever replaces the X1 sometime in the future.

Lemme know when you are ready to sell your X1, I'll drive down and pick it up!

Edit: As long as it doesn't smell like cat