Matching rta15t to rest of polks.

Options
I have a dolby atmos setup using a set of the original sda srs for the front main speakers. I then have two sets of rta11 for my front wides and side rear speakers. I have built a center channel using a set of 5jr. All these speakers have the sl2000. Now i just picked up a set of rta15t to use as front wides and want to make them match timber wise.. i have installed some sl2000 but iirc there is a difference in the xover for the sl3000 or whatever tweeters came in there. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as what cap or resistor should be changed in the xovers to match my non tl models? I plan to rebuild xover anyhow so i minaswell do it now. Thank you.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    The RTA15t came with the SL2000. The RTA15TL came with the SL3000. Therefore, if you have the t version they have the wrong tweeter.

Schematics for both models are available at the top of this section.

IMO, you already have too many speakers in your HT rig.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The RTA15t came with the SL2000. The RTA15TL came with the SL3000. Therefore, if you have the t version they have the wrong tweeter.

Schematics for both models are available at the top of this section.

IMO, you already have too many speakers in your HT rig.

Well i actually picked these up from a friend and when he got them the tweeters were gone. We both thought the t version had the sl3000. But that is awsome as they have sl2000 in them now so i guess im all set to just rebuild the xovers. Thank you. To many speakers?? I definitely dont understand that comment ahhahaha
  • F1nut
    Options
    I suggest you compare your crossovers to the posted schematics for both models before doing anything else.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sansuibutch
    Options
    I suggest you compare your crossovers to the posted schematics for both models before doing anything else.

I will definetly compare once i pull one out. Did all of the 15 and 15tl come with the black acrylic top?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    F1 is right, too many speakers and I will gladly take the 15T's off your hands so they'll get a proper makeover.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options

There is only one schematic. The rta15t is only wiring guides no drivers mentioned. I know that the rta11 came in t and tl versions, I had thought that the rta15 came out after the upgrade to the rta11 became a tl version and there was never a rta 15 that came with a sl2000 tweeter.
    Originally the rta 11 T stood for tower, but my memory is not what it used to be.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

There is only one schematic. The rta15t is only wiring guides no drivers mentioned. I know that the rta11 came in t and tl versions, I had thought that the rta15 came out after the upgrade to the rta11 became a tl version and there was never a rta 15 that came with a sl2000 tweeter.
    Originally the rta 11 T stood for tower, but my memory is not what it used to be.

Thats what i thought also.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    F1 is right, too many speakers and I will gladly take the 15T's off your hands so they'll get a proper makeover.

7.4.2 too much? Naaaa
  • F1nut
    Options
    Apologies, from a post I made years ago.
    There was no RTA 15T really, they were all TL's, but the early ones were marked with the "T" only.

I had forgotten that and made my schematics comments by a quick look at the ones listed.

That means the SL2000 you put in them is the wrong tweeter and there is no known way to change the crossover in order to use it.

President of Club Polk

• sansuibutch
    Options
    There was no RTA 15T really, they were all TL's, but the early ones were marked with the "T" only.

I had forgotten that and made my schematics comments by a quick look at the ones listed.

That means the SL2000 you put in them is the wrong tweeter and there is no known way to change the crossover in order to use it.

Damn. I find it hard to believe there is no way to make it work. No biggie either way tho as i allready have the 11t for the front wides. I might just leave them be and use them in my garage. Prolly not worth the hastle anyhow. That ls a bummer i got excited for nothing ahhah
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,482
    Options

If you recall when I posted pictures (years ago) of my original rta15t boxes I wondered if they were rta15tl's. They are. They came with sl3000 & I ordered the rd0198 tweeters & then had WMG do the crossovers. They still sound wonderful on the yamaha with vinyl.... OP = I would shop around for sl3000 OR rd0198 tweeters-which drop in. If cabinets are good & all the right MW woofers are correct. They are worth replacing tweeters. I guarantee you if the crossovers have not been touched - they are due. Mine came with the gloss tops also
    Randy/Maine
  • sansuibutch
    Options

I might just compare these to a set of rta11 to see if there closely matched enough to move forward with them. Im not sure if id ever hear the difference in place of my front wide speakers. They dont regularly put out a ton of sound. There not even on with some movies at all. In a good atmos movie they see some decent use tho. I mean they cant sound more different then say my rta11 and sda srs. The rta11 and sda srs might be part of the same line but mine dont sound very similar hahah. So hopefully the next couple days i can get a chance to give it a go. If they fit the bill i will be recapping them and while doing so i might try to get the sl2000 to work with them. This will be a great excuse to buy a new measurment mic and download some rta software. I know many people complain about the sl2000 and so do i on a set of stereo speakers being used for music. In all reality for my ht setup I really like the sl2000. The setup as a whole sounds incredible. None of these speakers get used in 2 channel stereo.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Was there an RTA15T with the SL-2000? I had asked Zvonko a few years ago about the 15T vs 15TL. He was not aware that there ever was a 15T and only designed the RTA15 as the TL with the SL-3000. Perhaps Polk had some leftover SL-2000 that they stuffed in some RTA15 and called them RTA15T? I believe some of the early ones were badged RTA15T but I think they were the same as the RTA15TL and had the SL-3000.

All that aside, I don't think a mix of the SL-2000 and SL-3000 would timber match very well. Could change the tweeters out for the RD0194 and RD0198 and it should match fairly well.
    Post edited by skrol on
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Was there an RTA15T with the SL-2000? I had asked Zvonko a few years ago about the 15T vs 15TL. He was not aware that there ever was a 15T and only designed the RTA15 as the TL with the SL-3000. Perhaps Polk had some leftover SL-2000 that they stuffed in some RTA15 and called them RTA15T? I believe some of the early ones were badged RTA15T but I think they were the same as the RTA15TL and had the SL-3000.

All that aside, I don't think a mix of the SL-2000 and SL-3000 would timber match very well. Could change the tweeters out for the RD0194 and RD0198 and it should match fairly well.

Im going to try and run the sl2000 in the 15. I think if i play with the xover some i can get it close. Ive built many xovers from scratch so i dont think it will be to difficult to make a few adjustments to the factory one.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    edited April 2022
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Was there an RTA15T with the SL-2000? I had asked Zvonko a few years ago about the 15T vs 15TL. He was not aware that there ever was a 15T and only designed the RTA15 as the TL with the SL-3000.

I assume this is the response you're referring to.

"...I guess marketing changed the name later to TL. ... Original RTA8 and RTA11 had
    different tweeter ... new tweeter SL3000 came up just before I started design on RTA15T.
    So RTA15T started with tri-laminate tweeter ... but 8 & 11 went from T to TL when they
    were upgraded. Your assumption is correct RTA15T and RTA15TL are the same."

I didn't notice a big issue with timber matching when I was running RTA-11TL's as L&R with a Monitor 5jr+ as Center. I'm sure it would have sounded better if the M5jr+ had a RD-0194 in it but if the OP can stand having SL-2000's in most of his speakers now a couple of SL-2000 in the RTA15T's isn't going to to ruin things too much but I'd really suggest Butch get some RD-0198 Tweeters for the 15's and call it a day over hacking the Xover.