Using a Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II as a center channel

Options
I am using a Monitor 70 Series II as a center channel the amount of bass coming out of the speaker is impressive but unneeded as my sub does that work. I'm using this as a center channel as the one I had was terrible and I got this for a steal. The improvement over the old center channel is night and day.

The reason I need to reduce/eliminate the bass put out by the speaker is that it rattles the shelf and the stand it is sitting on which is why I'm looking to eliminate/reduce the amount of low end frequencies on the speaker.

Since my receiver doesn't have specific ability to adjust the frequency on a channel by channel basis, should I disconnect the jumper between the posts and just hook up the speaker wire to the top two terminals avoiding the bottom two or should purchase a Bass Blocker?

I suppose I could also get a dampening material as a mat to put under it....

Thoughts?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Maybe set it to small in the receiver, all bass below 80hz would then be sent to the sub.
    Wait!! Are you using this sideways on a shelf ?? WHY ? Why not stand it up and use it like it should be.

So I'm sorry I'll be blunt! You think the answer is to disconnect the jumpers so just the midwoofers and tweeter work and let the rest of the speaker just take up room on the stand ????
    I'm just shaking my head here.....
  • ecarder
    ecarder Posts: 6
    Options
    I did set the reciever to small. But it still puts out quiet a bit if bass.

Maybe the picture will ease your incredulity on why its laying flat. First and foremost it's a matter of room, I can't stand it up. It's a small room and I know my setup is more than enough for such a small space I plan on getting a house with a better size room but that doesn't mean I can't get the stereo setup I want to until that time - what with house prices the way they are who knows when that will be.

nwx9f1sf8ibx.jpg

To address your other exasperation on unhooking the jumpers, no I don't want to do that which is why I was looking for advice and considering a bass blocker.

Yeah I would prefer to have the matching lsim 706c speaker to match my floorstandind speakers but I got this for a really good price and it's far better than the center I had from my Onkyo. So I am making due with the resources I have until I get what I ideally want. My ideal scenario would be to get the matching center and another monitor 70 series ii and use those as the surround instead of the Polk T15 bookshelf speakers currently being used. But until then ...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well the really good price is either going to get you to spend more to negate the problems incurred with using it in this fashion or get creative.

Let me ask
    If you had a true center channel would you stage it all the way to the left or right side of the shelf? OR would you keep it in the center of the shelf?

What receiver are you using?
  • ecarder
    Options
    I would put it center underneath the TV. That's the viewing position.

Denon avr-s540bt is what I currently have for a reciever.

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-s540bt

It's probably a tad on the light side for power and more advanced features but works for now.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Well my point was the center as it sits now is either far left or right and not centered under the TV because of the speakers (mid-driver & tweeter) drivers orientation . Go to the craft store and buy some rubber dots to apply to the shelf and see if that helps remove most of the noise from the bass. That way the speaker is not on the glass directly.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It's not quite clear from the online manual but it looks like you might have the ability to choose crossover frequency per channel with 80Hz being the default. The other choices are:
    40 Hz / 60 Hz / 80 Hz / 90 Hz / 100 Hz / 110 Hz / 120 Hz / 150 Hz /200 Hz / 250 Hz

Since 80Hz seems to still rattle your shelf maybe a higher frequency might do what you want.

Lining the glass with some of that rubber shelf liner under the speaker might also help reduce the rattles.
  • ecarder
    Options
    I see what you're getting at about placement. I did some testing moving it around on the shelf just to see if the sound difference was noticable with the speakers centered and such and to my unrefined ears it wasn't.

But I did finally find in the settings the center channel frequency adjustment and put it at 110Hz added some rubber padding under the speaker and uner the support arms of the glass. Sounds good, no rattle not bad for a little over $30 (speaker included).

Thanks for your guys help
  • pitdogg2
    Options