Linn Klimax in house demo.

Options
Our local Linn dealer graciously brought out a NIB fully loaded Klimax DSM for us to listen to and compare in my friends system. He has Sonus Faber Olympica 5 towers (in the gorgeous Winge finish), PS Audio BHK pre and stereo amp, and an Aurilac Altair G2.1. Another pal of our brought a Marantz SACD 30n to add in to the mix along with a solid selection of SACD content.

18f8q46nvouf.jpg
04imch3dok3n.jpg
yaezga5jfppl.jpg
Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
Revel F208, SVS SB-4000

Comments

• guyincognito
    Options
    The Linn was certainly the star of the show. We compared the Linn to the Marantz and the Auralic with the BHK preamp and without straight to the BHK amplifier and I pretty much preferred the Klimax DSM all the time. No digital glare, impressive 3D depth. It's an impressive piece of gear. Non fatiguing and just a pleasure to listen to.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Beautiful setup
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • guyincognito
    Options
    Bill (the owner of the main system) has a great set up. Its hard to imagine things can get better. But then you throw in the Linn Klimax DSM and damnit if you aren't blown away again. It was impressive.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,338
    Options
    I don't see any physical media there. Was this all streaming playback?

That Linn has a hefty hit to the wallet.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    $39,000 plus tax?

:)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    I'm sure it sounds amazing.

39k is more than I have invested in my 2 channel, my HT, and my car.

Just hard for me to understand the pricing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options

18f8q46nvouf.jpg

Does that BHK amp generate no heat from the top?

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    How do you like the Sonus Fabers?
  • guyincognito
    Options
    Tom, the only physical media was the SACD player (Marantz SACD 30N) that another friend of mine brought along for comparison. It was outclassed by the Linn but held its own surprisingly well all in all.

The owner of the main system uses the Altair G2.1 to play streaming content and files from a NAS drive on the network if I remember correctly. No physical media.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • guyincognito
    Options
    The Sonus Faber towers sound great. I would love to hear them in a larger room pulled out from the wall more.

As for the BHK amp, I'm sure it generates some heat given the vacuum tube input. That said he has had it for a long time and never had any issues with it shutting down or going into protect mode. Not my monkeys, not my circus.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,338
    Options
    Tom, the only physical media was the SACD player (Marantz SACD 30N) that another friend of mine brought along for comparison. It was outclassed by the Linn but held its own surprisingly well all in all.

The owner of the main system uses the Altair G2.1 to play streaming content and files from a NAS drive on the network if I remember correctly. No physical media.

Thanks. I just wanted to know if there was a physical media reference point and you answered that for me. I have the Marantz SA-7S1 (former flagship) as well as the Auralic Vega G2 (vastly different from the Altair from what I have read).

I have had a brief listening session (read, one song that was not completed) with my Vega G2 because of network issues that I haven't had the time to figure out yet but from what "little bit" I did hear, I would say that it was very impressive. As soon as I get the issue resolved, I too will do a direct comparison to my Marantz using physical media and the Vega G2.

Your friend has a nice system BTW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~