L800 Finish

Options
Although I love the speaker, I am not too crazy about the walnut veneer. They just seem too plain to me. Whats the best way to get a different/custom look?
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    It would be the same as with any other speaker. One option is to strip the original veneer off and start over and the other is to refinish what's on there now. The veneer surface is large and wraps around the speaker so that would complicate the first option.

I bought the black version rather than walnut because it'll fit in with any room I may move them to over time.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

I bought the black version rather than walnut because it'll fit in with any room I may move them to over time.

My issue with the black ones was the gloss black front.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

My issue with the black ones was the gloss black front.

I felt the same way originally and preferred the matte finish thinking it wouldn't show fingerprints and dust as much. Turns out it's not a problem. I do keep the grilles on the front and top since I have the Atmos modules installed.

I do think they'd look good with a light maple veneer on them in place of the black or walnut veneer, but I've been thinking that for decades with Polks.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Whats the best way to get a different/custom look?

Go with a sexy looking speaker from the start! :)

9u1s72jxjznc.jpg

Seriously, you are working with a 5 year warranty before you really want to do anything serious. There's always vinyl wrap, Plasti or Hyper dip paint, etc. that can be done anytime and easily removed. Maybe not the backwards step you want to take?

Then, the most serious would be as Emlyn stated, a full strip and re-veneer..... or take it a step further....
    Have all new cabinets built using very close dimensions but maybe with a curve the top, curved sides, taper the back, etc. with the finish of your choice for a completely different look.

How far are you willing to go and at what cost? One can measure the internal cabinet dimensions and get the port length, and look at bracing. The height of the drivers to the floor is important. A cabinet can be 3D modeled, then cut via CNC. I've seen DIY speakers using cabinet designs for some of the big names.

The sky is the limit! Imagine all veneered (Front baffle as well) cabinets like these:

65bcup2h8hm1.jpg

2q3u4999roxv.jpg

ra6zirwof9n7.jpg

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • xsmi
    Options
    I actually like the finish of the first set of speakers you showed. I also liked the finish on the LSiM’s.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »

9u1s72jxjznc.jpg

Those are Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers. I have a pair in my HT/spare stereo system.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I like the overall look of the L-800, I just don’t like the choice of veneer.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    So the set I had, one speaker had a fairly plain walnut veneer and the other had a fairly exotic looking veneer... Both looked pretty sweet. I thought the walnut was tasteful
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xsmi
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    So the set I had, one speaker had a fairly plain walnut veneer and the other had a fairly exotic looking veneer... Both looked pretty sweet. I thought the walnut was tasteful

It is. I just like that high-gloss wood look.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options

that should be easy to do to yours. a little lacquer thinner or such and hi gloss poly, buff :D
  • WLDock
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I actually like the finish of the first set of speakers you showed. I also liked the finish on the LSiM’s.

If you can find the right cabinet builder / audio enthusiasts you could for sure have some LSiM type spray painted finished cabinets or high gloss veneer built.

The key here is the width of the baffle should be exact, then a curved top and possible tapered sides can be done. The total cabinet / compartment volumes and port lengths would have to match.

Also, try to use a similar bracing scheme as the original, and maybe add in some wall dampening on the midrange enclosure section, and polyfill similar to the original.

How bad do you want it? It can be done, its just MDF and paint!

Look around for local cabinet makers, check the DIY speaker forums for crafty DIY'ed in your area. Just for kicks and giggles, send Jim at Salk Sound https://www.salksound.com/ an email with your idea and see what he says. The kicker here is that they would have to tear down the original cabinet and take measurements of the internals and driver cutouts.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Those are Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers. I have a pair in my HT/spare stereo system.

For sure, they are on my dream list and the cabinets are just beautiful! Something like this can be made with the right builder however the cost might be a turn off. Capable DIY'ers can cut labor costs.

_8530577_orig.jpg

_8952679_orig.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options

I don't know what the clear coat is on the L800, but suspect it is a water based lacquer. Maybe Polk can tell you for sure as it is important to know what you're starting with.

Anyway, to obtain a high gloss glass like sheen on those you'd have to fill the pores with paste wood filler, which is a very different product than wood filler. After that apply top coats of the appropriate clear coat material. After that has cured the real work starts. Lots of wet sanding up to 2000 grit. Finishing off with rubbing and polishing compounds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I don't know what the clear coat is on the L800, but suspect it is a water based lacquer. Maybe Polk can tell you for sure as it is important to know what you're starting with.

Anyway, to obtain a high gloss glass like sheen on those you'd have to fill the pores with paste wood filler, which is a very different product than wood filler. After that apply top coats of the appropriate clear coat material. After that has cured the real work starts. Lots of wet sanding up to 2000 grit. Finishing off with rubbing and polishing compounds.

I was really hoping you’d share your expertise on this topic.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

For sure, they are on my dream list and the cabinets are just beautiful! Something like this can be made with the right builder however the cost might be a turn off. Capable DIY'ers can cut labor costs.

_8530577_orig.jpg

_8952679_orig.jpg

While the cabinets are nice, they are terrible in a HT environment. The problem is they are too shiny, and reflective. I have dark towels draped over mine to stop the light reflection.

p8nlix8i0xj6.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I don't want to change the cabinet. Just the look of the veneer.
  • WLDock
    Options

Well, I guess you have to decide if you want to alter them while still in warranty. From there, a good wood working, cabinet guy should be able to strip and re-veneer .
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options

Well, I guess you have to decide if you want to alter them while still in warranty. From there, a good wood working, cabinet guy should be able to strip and re-veneer .

He doesn't want to change the veneer. He wants to change the finish/sheen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    He doesn't want to change the veneer. He wants to change the finish/sheen.

Oh Ok, I thought the OP was not happy with the veneer in general. If making them glossy like glass, as in the Aerial Acoustics, F1 already covered much of what it will take. Knowing what finish is on them already and a lot of spaying clear, sanding, and polishing. If you've never done it, leave it to a pro or find some other projects to practice and learn the skill.

I've never finished $6k speakers, but even basic wood projects take a ton of effort to get them to look great.