New member, and new vintage monitor 10a's (still in the box)

Options
13»

Comments

• telecaster
    telecaster Posts: 19
    Options
    I was in the process of "liking" your post when an error message popped up. When I refreshed, your post was no longer there.

I thought you were clever in making that fixture to hold the MW drivers steady and with clearance to the surround, for gluing.

What was the neutral cure silicone like as I have never tried that? I'm assuming no acetic acid cure smell was emitted?

Your speakers may just sound better and better as the XOs breakin. I know it sounds crazy but that's what I experienced. You may want to do internal wiring and binding posts in the future. I did everything I have done in increments and it was fun that way.

I'm glad yours are playing OK at the moment in the upside down configuration. I hope they aren't like mine and you end up hearing "funny stuff" when playing difficult bass material with prolonged tones. 99.9% of the time mine were fine but when I finally got around to disassembling I found that the voice coils were either assembled crooked or the spiders didn't age well but they would just barely rub the frame piece and you could see the scuff marks on the coating on the wires.

Thanks Gardenstater.

The neutral cure silicon is great stuff. It's industry standard for adhering electronic components to PCB's and each other. Folks often use normal silicon, or even hot glue (neither of which work well and the normal silicon can actually corrode parts due to the acid).

This stuff is clean and won't harm anything and doesn't have the normal nasty smell of silicon. It makes a nice bond, and it can be pretty easily removed and cleaned up if necessary for future work. I use it all the time repairing amplifiers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    it can be pretty easily removed and cleaned up if necessary for future work.
    Interesting.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited May 2022
    Options
    telecaster wrote: »
    nqkc6yid9w98.png

Only someone with OCD can spot OCD a mile away... Just in case you didn't know. :D

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rodman53
    rodman53 Posts: 18
    Options
    Old post i know but hey Telecaster how did the new caps and resisters work for you? Did they make a difference?