Speaker Identification

Options
Says model 10 but which one? Only have these 2 pictures to go by...

6ecidhrmxqbm.jpg
4oo3gceuufbf.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    Options
    The really early one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 262
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The really early one.

I thought so because no terminal cup. What drivers are used in those?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,136
    Options
    Agree with @F1nut -- not the earliest possible, though, as the earliest ones had barrier terminal strips rather than double banana jacks. :|

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,745
    Options
    If we're being pontificators, I'd reckon 10A's with an twist of nuanced "wing-it" from the factory x-over dept.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    Options
    joebass3 wrote: »
    The really early one.

I thought so because no terminal cup. What drivers are used in those?

You'd have remove them to know for sure.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    Options
    Are these worth making an offer on? If so how much? Stands are included. Cosmetically probably 6-7 out of 10.

coo9o84qe0ks.jpg
    23ih0eqfz5jd.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Is that a Polk passive radiator?

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,136
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Looks like a very early Model 10 with the uncoated paper PR to me (and FWIW). :)

Like this one (half of a pair)...

11208619575_674f036d9b_c.jpgP1020559 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

That little red racing stripe ;) surrounding the mass load in the center of the PR seems to be characteristic of 'em. :#

EDIT: Also note the sinful (ahem... unholey) Peerless tweeter -- just like the ones here!
    @joebass3 the one you posted the photo of looks to be in phenomenal condition for a ca. 1975 (or maybe even a bit older) loudspeaker. I think my only concern about them would be frozen "midbass" drivers due to magnet shift.

• joebass3
    Options
    Is that a Polk passive radiator?

I only took out one of the MW's to take a look. Took a pic of it hoping to identify it. Not sure if it's a passive radiator or active woofer. The speakers appear to be unmolested.
  • F1nut
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Looks like a very early Model 10 with the uncoated paper PR to me (and FWIW). :)

Like this one (half of a pair)...

11208619575_674f036d9b_c.jpgP1020559 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

That little red racing stripe ;) surrounding the mass load in the center of the PR seems to be characteristic of 'em. :#

EDIT: Also note the sinful (ahem... unholey) Peerless tweeter -- just like the ones here!
    @joebass3 the one you posted the photo of looks to be in phenomenal condition for a ca. 1975 (or maybe even a bit older) loudspeaker. I think my only concern about them would be frozen "midbass" drivers due to magnet shift.

Thanks Mark, so definitely a Polk passive.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,652
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Early silver basket should be mw6500 drivers. I remember an advertisement one time which Polk had a brand new driver coming on to the market. It was the mw6600. Up until that time I believe they were all mw6500. After the mw6600 came out they then started going to the 01, 02, 03 etc numbering system.

I could be wrong.