Amp for Polk RTi A9

Options
Lacrymosa
Lacrymosa Posts: 43
edited February 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
I know this question has been asked so many times before but I’m trying to narrow down what exactly I need as while I consider myself an audiophile I am new to building my own dedicated system. I have had the RTi A9s for some years just playing underpowered.

I’m looking at getting the Parasound 2125v2, rated at 150 watts per channel which I can get get for $1000 (Canadian) locally, which is my sweet spot right now.

However I know the 2250 would be a better fit at 275 watts per channel. And perhaps I should wait and grab that at some point.

Either way I guess I have two questions, is the 2125v2 a good amp to pair with these speakers?

And second, I mostly use my setup for playing vinyl but I also use Bluetooth so would I be able to purchase a Bluetooth receiver and use it with either of these parasound amps? I’m considering the Audioengine B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver with 24Bit DAC.

I’d also like to eventually be able to add a CD player to the setup one day. Do these amps support adding additional sources like CD, Bluetooth and Phono? I have only used receivers in the past.

Any and all help is appreciated to help get better clarity from these beasts!
Post edited by Lacrymosa on

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You will need a pre-amp to control the amplifier as well as control the sources.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Lacrymosa
    edited February 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You will need a pre-amp to control the amplifier as well as control the sources.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was wondering. So if I get an amp I also need a preamp? Any preamps that might pair well with either of these?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Lacrymosa wrote: »
    I have had the RTi A9s for some years just playing underpowered.

What equipment do you have hooked up to them currently? List everything.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    All I have the speakers playing off of right now is an old Sony STR-AV200 (which is is obviously not ideal at all and was only meant to be temporary).

I have a Project Debut Carbon turntable in my phono input and a Bluetooth receiver in my “CD” input.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yep definitely gonna need a preamp as well for source section/volume control. That song is not doing the speakers and favors

Before you go down this route you need to define a realistic budget and your goals. Off hand I am thinking a good integrated amp with phono input might be a good option for you. An integrated amp combines preamp/amp in one chassis. Simplifies things a lot
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Yep definitely gonna need a preamp as well for source section/volume control. That song is not doing the speakers and favors

Before you go down this route you need to define a realistic budget and your goals. Off hand I am thinking a good integrated amp with phono input might be a good option for you. An integrated amp combines preamp/amp in one chassis. Simplifies things a lot

I have been looking at some integrated amps as well but they tend to be lower output especially for the RTi A9s. I’m sure they’ll sound way better than what the Sony is doing, but perhaps it’s best to wait to upgrade until I’m willing to spend $2000+, I was hoping I could keep it around $1000 but that may not work knowing what I now know.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Look at Parasound Hint 6 used or Cambridge Audio integrateds.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Look at Parasound Hint 6 used or Cambridge Audio integrateds.

If I’m looking at the Hint 6 (even used) would it make sense to consider the Parasound Zpre3 preamp and 2125v2 Amp? Or even the Zpre3 and 2250?
  • stangman67
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hint 6 will most likely be a huge upgrade over z zpre and classic amp. But if you could stretch for a Hint 6, I definitely would. That will give you plenty of upgrade room in the future for better speakers and sources

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Lacrymosa
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hint 6 will most likely be a huge upgrade over z zpre and classic amp. But if you could stretch for a Hint 6, I definitely would. That will give you plenty of upgrade room in the future for better speakers and sources

The Hint 6 is rated at 160 watts / channel, and the 2250 is 275 watts / channel (but I’d need a preamp), but the Hint 6 would be the upgrade? I know there is more to it than output so I just want to make sure I understand why the hint 6 is a better choice to make as informed a decision as I can with my apparently more limited knowledge than I thought I had haha.
  • stangman67
    Options
    People tend to put way too much stake in output wattage as the only thing that matters. 160 watts is enough power to drive all but the most demanding speakers to ear bleeding levels. Many people run <30 watt tube amps and have no issues. Current capability is of more concern than rated wattage anyhow.

Something like the Hint 6 (or M5Si or any other number of 2-3K MSRP integrated) will give you much more refined sound, better imaging, soundstage, etc. You would also have to factor in a phono preamp if you get the zpre as it does not have a phono input built in.

• Lacrymosa
    Options
    People tend to put way too much stake in output wattage as the only thing that matters. 160 watts is enough power to drive all but the most demanding speakers to ear bleeding levels. Many people run <30 watt tube amps and have no issues. Current capability is of more concern than rated wattage anyhow.

Something like the Hint 6 (or M5Si or any other number of 2-3K MSRP integrated) will give you much more refined sound, better imaging, soundstage, etc. You would also have to factor in a phono preamp if you get the zpre as it does not have a phono input built in.

Ah yes I did read that the Zpre3 did not have phono, which is a problem since I use my record player most.

Ok this has given me a lot to think about. I have just always read that the RTi A9s are very power hungry so I want to actually get capable sound out of them and not feel the need to upgrade again in the near future. I appreciate the responses!
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You should consider a Peachtree Nova150 or Nova300.

Are those tube amps? Or do they make both tube and solid state?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Lacrymosa wrote: »

Ah yes I did read that the Zpre3 did not have phono, which is a problem since I use my record player most.

Ok this has given me a lot to think about. I have just always read that the RTi A9s are very power hungry so I want to actually get capable sound out of them and not feel the need to upgrade again in the near future. I appreciate the responses!

Power hungry as in current not watts. The suggestion of the Hint6 is good at 45 amperes (current) peak to peak. The Musical Fidelity M5si is a good bit higher at 62 amperes peak to peak.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Lacrymosa
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. I’ve looked into more of the suggestions and I’ve taken the time to speak to one of the audio businesses locally and it sounds like the Hint 6 and the M5SI are the two I’ll be deciding between. I think I’ll wait it out and see if I can nab either one used. They both seem to be extremely well reviewed. I’m sure either one will be a huge step up from my measly Sony AVR.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    It sounds like you put music performance ahead of TV for this setup, if this is a combo use system. If so, I see a speaker upgrade in your near future.

Be mindful of the limitations of the RTiA9 speaker for a music-first system. A move to a high current integrated or preamp/amp combo is a solid move, regardless. It will definitely provide greater bass impact and control, but don't expect it to do a lot for overall sound quality of the RTiA9s where music is a priority.

Do you have a sense of what's you're missing, or what quality you're after? In other words, why are you looking for an amp or integrated?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    It sounds like you put music performance ahead of TV for this setup, if this is a combo use system. If so, I see a speaker upgrade in your near future.

Be mindful of the limitations of the RTiA9 speaker for a music-first system. A move to a high current integrated or preamp/amp combo is a solid move, regardless. It will definitely provide greater bass impact and control, but don't expect it to do a lot for overall sound quality of the RTiA9s where music is a priority.

Do you have a sense of what's you're missing, or what quality you're after? In other words, why are you looking for an amp or integrated?

Yes I am using them for music only, I have another system for my home theatre. I appreciate the advice, but I actually like the sound of the RTi A9s and they aren't even properly powered (I did have them powered by a better Yamaha receiver before which I no longer have). I have heard both sides of the coin with the RTi A9s but mostly I've heard that they are actually amazing speakers (especially on this forum), the main problem is that they are not powered properly when most people set them up, as in my case. I plan to keep them for now because while there may be better out there and some even more suited to my taste, I haven't given these a fair shot by properly amping them and as I've read the Hint 6 or the M5SI should pair well with just about any speaker I end up getting. So in my instance amp first and enjoy these speakers as they should be, speaker upgrades will inevitably come down the line and I can continue to use the new amp. Whether I keep these speakers or look at new ones a new amp is necessary.

I just feel I'm missing the nuances in the sound that my current receiver cannot provide to the speakers so I'm looking for an amp that will help these speakers sound as good as they can.
  • msg
    Options
    Ah, okay, good. As long as you already like the sound, that's what it's all about.

I had the earlier RTi series and I chased my tail trying to make them sound good for music, wasting a lot of money on different amps, preamps, cables, etc. I really wanted to like them, but found them too harsh. Legend, LSiM, Reserve, or modded vintage Polk are others you can look into if you find yourself interested in different Polk speakers down the line.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Ah, okay, good. As long as you already like the sound, that's what it's all about.

I had the earlier RTi series and I chased my tail trying to make them sound good for music, wasting a lot of money on different amps, preamps, cables, etc. I really wanted to like them, but found them too harsh. Legend, LSiM, Reserve, or modded vintage Polk are others you can look into if you find yourself interested in different Polk speakers down the line.

Good to know, I have a feeling a fresh powerful amp will do the trick for me for now, but I know I can't resist a good upgrade, so new speakers it will happen - unfortunately for my wallet.
  • msg
    Options
    If you hang out a while, you'll notice that we're good at spending other peoples' money.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    What are everyone's thoughts on the original HINT vs the HINT 6. The Hint 6 can be had new for $4200 (plus tax) CAD, however there is a used one for $3000 or I can get the original HINT for $2100 used.

Still I feel I'm leaning towards the M5SI, which I can get for $2314 plus tax - yes Canadian prices are much worse :(
  • stangman67
    Options
    If it were me, I’d be buying the M5SI. Especially with the price discrepancy. The Hint6 and M5SI are much closer priced here in the US. Very few people have been disappointed with MF pieces. They sound good, match well with lots of equipment. I don’t think you can go wrong

• Clipdat
    Options
    Parasound and Polk always a nice combo, but for those prices you listed the MF is a better buy.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    If it were me, I’d be buying the M5SI. Especially with the price discrepancy. The Hint6 and M5SI are much closer priced here in the US. Very few people have been disappointed with MF pieces. They sound good, match well with lots of equipment. I don’t think you can go wrong
    Parasound and Polk always a nice combo, but for those prices you listed the MF is a better buy.

Thanks guys, you're making it extremely hard to be patient and see if I can nab a used one...
    Milito wrote: »

It looks like it may be OOS, but I sent them a message anyway, even with USD to CAD conversion it's about $500 less than in Canada. Thanks!

• Lacrymosa
    edited February 2022
    Options
    There's been a plot twist. There is a Peachtree Nova 150 for $1200...how comparable is this to the M5SI? I've heard that they have a bright sound, but I've also heard they have a warm signature when scouring the inter-webs. I definitely prefer warmer.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Class D vs Class A/AB
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Class D vs Class A/AB

Ok I'm just sticking with M5SI (or M6SI if one comes up for a good price) haha. I knew it in my heart that I didn't want to change my mind.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I had been looking for a used M6si since late last summer as no one had a black new one in stock. Good luck with finding one.

My new one is being delivered today if the weather doesn't delay it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    I had been looking for a used M6si since late last summer as no one had a black new one in stock. Good luck with finding one.

My new one is being delivered today if the weather doesn't delay it.

I'll probably just be going for the M5SI anyway, not actively searching the M6SI, just saying that if one should come up I'd consider it. This place has one: https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Musical-Fidelity-M6si-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-Refurb

But still would rather go for the 5 at that price especially converted to CAD. Hope you get it today and you enjoy the new M6SI! I just had some Morel Tempo speakers delivered today for my car so I'll be getting those in and continue focusing on this amp. Had Morels in my old car and loved them, very smooth and rich sound.