Record cleaning from down under.

Options
After seeing a video about a record cleaning company located in Australia I ordered one of their VRC Restore kits to give it a try. The overall idea is that you apply a thick liquid in a spiral over the surface of the record, use the supplied brush to evenly spread out the liquid. Then you let it dry for three hours and peel off the dried film and all the unwanted material comes away from the surface.
This kind of approach has been around for many years. I can remember Audio Amateur used to sell a powder that you mixed with water and spread over the surface then let dry and peel off. There's even been people advocating using wood glue in the same way (don't try it, kids!).
It is definitely the slowest method of cleaning a record, but it works like a charm. Records end up clean, shiny and dead quiet. Here's a photo of the basic kit.

tbyyr4flr9c4.jpg

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    This is a photo of the first step.

not7vk26qnlg.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    After three hours you put a small piece of scotch tape on the edge and peel the film off.

97owhxh6c0h0.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    The method that they use is to use their multiple record holding system consisting of discs with spindles in the center. You do one side flip it over on the disc then do the second side. You can then repeat this process for three or four records and let everything dry for two or three hours, then peel. I do one side at a time letting gravity pull the film into the grooves then do the second side. I then follow up with my normal Tergitol cleaning followed by a vacuuming then a rinse with another solution I found then another vacuum. The record is really clean and transients are amazing, I recently played a reissue of a Mercury Living Presence flamingo dance with foot stomps, castanets hand claps, strumming guitars and it was terrific.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,568
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Interesting! I've tried all the main record cleaning methods except this one (and the wood glue one). Sounds like it really gets in there.

Would you say you've noticed improved results even on records you've previously cleaned with your standard vacuum method?
    I disabled signatures.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I've thought about trying that, but I haven't done it yet. I have a very old Nitty Gritty, the very first one they made. It is really loud, in fact I wear ear protection when I use it.
    I was skeptical at first (how many audiophile reviews start with that phrase) so I tried it out on an older record. I thought maybe the stuff wouldn't come out, but I worried for no reason it's water based and easily comes off. I thought maybe it wouldn't get rid of finger prints but it does.
  • msg
    Options
    I'd like to try this, myself.

https://vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au/products/esp-restore-210ml
    DESCRIPTION
    VRC Restore! vinyl record cleaning film (210ml); (includes VRC Mini Labels)

ESP Restore! is the premium vinyl record restorer for use where alternatives cleaners and machines have failed. Highly effective for restoring the fidelity of long stored record collections and records of unknown provenance.

Provides protection against static electricity
    Sufficient for twenty one (21) 12 inch records

VRC Restore is a proprietary formulation designed to dissolve the mixture of dust and dirt commonly found in a vinyl record groove. This mix will include all manner of oils and fats, finger grease, mould and mould spores, particulate matter such as stylus dust (ie diamond dust) and airborne dust. VRC Restore emulsifies and breaks down the binders which hold this soiling to the record. Once the binders are broken down the soiling is dissolved into solution. This solution - or slurry - dries sealing the trapped impurities into a removable skin which can then be peeled off for a 100% clean.

And here's the stack you mention:
    https://vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com.au/products/vrc-stack-rack-1
    hv59zioigv69.png
    DESCRIPTION
    The VRC Stack Rack provides a convenient drying method for records treated with VRC Restore! It supports all record diameters, simultaneously, up to 10 discs in standard configuration.

The Stack Rack, in standard configuration in the VRCS Kit Mk IV, accommodates up to 10 records and is easily moved even when fully loaded. Stacked with 12" records, it requires just a single square foot of bench space.

Should larger batches be required, add the VRC Stack Rack Extension to expand capacity to 20 discs.

The VRC Stack Rack will accommodate all record diameters in a single stack, 7", 10" and 12".
    I disabled signatures.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    When I ordered my kit there was a fairly hefty shipping charge on the check out page, but they sent mine at no charge. I don't know if it was an oversight or they were just being nice.
  • msg
    Options
    Was it actually a kit you ordered that came with the brush, cup and flicker tool? or did you add that separately to just a bottle of the film?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I read one of the customer feedback quotes saying that the film improved records the guy had run through several ultrasonic sessions. I can see using this on trouble records. I have a few of them that seem stubborn. Even though they look clean and blem free, I was thinking they were just groove damaged. I'm curious to see whether this would help.

A bit steep though - the 200mL solution at $60 is enough for 21 records, so this would be something I'd probably want to reserve for trouble records or absolute favorites, depending on noise level. Seems though that your results indicate this might be something you'd wind up wanting to use on every record?
    I disabled signatures.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Very cool!!

Ken, have you tried/opinion on LAST record preservative??

Would that be Fiesta in HiFi??

I’ve got some LP’s that if the US doesn’t work this might be the next step. For whatever reason Columbia 6 eye vinyl…even when they look mint are noisy as can be…..and I’ve got a bunch of Verve LP’s that have heretofore been impervious to me efforts to tame the noise
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Hi Troy!
    I used to use LAST many years ago, in fact I sold it and recommended it highly. I seem to remember J. Gordon Holt did a review where he treated half of a distortion test record with it. Then he measured the untreated half and followed with the treated part. The harmonic distortion was knocked way down. I haven't used it recently, not sure why exactly. Whenever I play a record that I've treated in the past it always seems to sound good. I know they suggest putting the treatment on any record cleaning pads you use to prevent wicking off the treatment.
    The Mercury recording is:
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/166770?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-y58Ft4LE77MgUiGaLUy9GUeqs2OXEgzjgi3nOdimSx2MMIod0XtvkaAkTrEALw_wcB

The presentation is not closely miked so there's lots of room ambience, I bet it would sound great on the Bozaks.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,651
    edited February 2022
    Options
    You guys actually play your records? Strange.

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    interesting, Interesting, INTERESTING!

What is the shipping from location?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Here's a meeting of the company's executives, Bruce.

3wm5t6gw3tkf.png