How can I tell if my receiver can handle the R200s?

After much searching, I have settled on the R200s as my next speakers. I want to run them with my Sony ES receiver (circa 1988) but am concerned at the 3.8 ohm minimum impedance they can present.
The official Polk recommendation is simply for amplifier power in the 30-200W range.

Is there a receiver/amp spec I can check to ensure that I can easily drive these?

Thanks.

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited February 2022
    Polk officially rates the R200 as being compatible as 8 ohm loads in that amplifier power range so just about any receiver will drive them fine. A better receiver will drive them better. Driving the speakers to very high volume levels may or may not be a problem depending on the power supply in the receiver. What are the specs on the receiver? What's the model number?

My guess even without knowing the specs or model number is given it's a Sony ES model it would be fine. One reason for that is receivers of that era didn't have to share one power supply with 11 different speakers like current day receivers do. And Sony ES products were solid. This would especially be true if you're only driving two speakers with the receiver.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I ran my R200’s off my Marantz 1030 the other day at 15wpc and I couldn’t stop smiling. Granted it wasn’t too loud, and I kept the volume knob at about 1 o’clock, but it was definitely satisfying. You will love them. 🤘🏻🤘🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.