Article about computers playing chess against each other

Options
Milito
Milito Posts: 1,909
edited January 2022 in The Clubhouse
Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Loved the story.

I still just play for fun. like Monopoly fun. Game fun.

I ALMOST started to read books on "Openings" and "Endgame" strategies but like Calvin, I'm ok with what I've learned about it for now. :)

Now I spotted the last Chess Championship on TV and I must admit, I was hooked. I told my wife it was on and she to being a good chess player sat there with me watching the 2 best in the world "Playing" the game.

The commentator was VERY knowledgeable about chess for sure. He, at times, would say, why did he do that? That was dumb. :D And sure enough, one of the greatest chess players can make mistakes like I have done. We don't MEAN to, but...we're HUMAN.

I have computer chess machines in my collection that I have yet to play against. I like how they have levels to play against. I wonder if I could beat level 1? probably not. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito
    Options
    There is a game called "Chess Titans" you can download and play on your computer.

My son gave me a book on Chess openings two Christmases ago, but I haven't read much of it. That's working too hard at my age.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I haven't gotten to the point of playing chess on my PC yet.

I still collect sets though. I almost bought a cool old set yesterday. I emailed the lady and she said she still had it. I went to the bathroom for #1 and came back to say I wanted it. I couldn't email her. I guess Facebook has some BS that I don't know about yet.
    Well 5 min. or less later, my message goes through. She emails me back...it's sold. :'(

It was a cool set too. 10.00. Somebody got a cool old wooden painted figures in a wooden briefcase set. :)
  • Milito
    Options
    I don't play much anymore. At my age it's harder and harder to think 5 to 6 moves ahead. It is fun to play against the computer BTW.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I think I only planned 3 or 4 moves ahead... :D
  • Milito
    Options
    LOL, that was in my 20's in college when I use to play my roommate. He was a very good player, I could beat him 30% of the time. That was the high point of my game.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I played a lot of games with a close friend when I was 16-17 with these 2 styles. I LOVED the marble looking board. The oriental set had a green squared board, I think.

m7iqjwb2ds3w.png

ndgpzk35nvg9.png

qk0bgdr83tqt.png

82uvihq1xnc6.png

Those were the good-ol-days for me for sure. 1974/5 :)

• Milito
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Very nice!

Yes, early to mid 70's in college were great times.