Found some 86 sda crs+ speakers, have lots of questions.

These are the 1 tweeter speakers, blade/blade. Previous owner stated he put 198 tweeters in them without changing the x-overs. So, when I opened them up, I'm pretty sure he is wrong. I have 198s in my monitor 10s and they have one fat blade, one skinny. These have two skinny which I'm pretty sure are 194s?
Next question, common ground. I have two power amps, ones a B&K ex442 Sonata, the other is a Hafler dh-220 rebuilt by Van Alstine. I tested them to see if they were common ground, hopefully I did it right... Turned dial on VOM to 200 ohms, tested across negative terminals, both show a reading of .4. Am I good to go with those readings?
I built a speakon cable. Positive speaker wire connection on 1, negative 1-. Here is my question in regard to the connection at the speakers. The left speaker has fat terminal on the top, skinny on bottom, this is reversed on the right speaker. When it comes to wiring the speakon port at the speaker, will 1 be the top wires and 1- the bottom on both speakers. I'm referring to 1 and 1- as that is what is stamped on the speakon connectors. This part has me really confused.
Thx.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited January 2022
    First question, Is your speakon socket air tight? Some are not, you need air tight at/in the speaker. If not you no longer have a sealed enclosure. You MUST have a sealed enclosure or your bass will suffer.

The wires are reversed inside the cabinet for blade/blade.

If the blue wire is on the fat blade in the left it will be on the small blade on the right. Wire color is made up just follow what you have at the speaker.

So if blue wire in the left speaker is big blade make it 1 So if blue wire on small blade on right make it 1-

Make it the same on the cable. In other words keep wires the same on cable 1 to 1 1- to 1-

Once again wire color is made up I do not know what color you have in the speaker, it could be black and white.

The cable wire stays the same

The inside speaker connection will switch

Understand?

• lms
    lms Posts: 26
    edited January 2022
    I have not mounted the speakon port into the cabinet as of yet. They are drilled out, fit nice and snug. I bought the gasket that went with them, will also seal them from behind. But first I want to get the wiring correct. Here is what I have.
    Left speaker Black on top, white (fat) on bottom
    Right speaker: Blue (fat) on top, white on bottom

On left speaker do I attach black to 1 and white to 1-
    On right do I attach blue to 1- and white to 1?
    Thx.
    Post edited by lms on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2022
    You're not understanding. Some Neutrik SpeakOn sockets are not air tight. It's got nothing to do with gaskets, etc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lms
    Oh, for f sakes, now I understand what you mean. It's the connector that you twist, not the piece that you glue into the cabinet.
    What about the wiring at the cabinet for the speakon port, can you comment of that as I have no clue wtf I'm doing, obviously? I knew I should have just bought the premade cable, but no turning back now.
  • pitdogg2
    IIRC it actually is the part you put in the cabinet that needs to be air-tite. The easy way to tell is try and blow through the socket or give us the part number you have for it. When I bought mine one actually said airtight

This should be correct

On left speaker do I attach black to 1 and white to 1-
    On right do I attach blue to 1- and white to 1?
  • lms
    I did the blow test, they are airtight, so I'm good.
    Thanks much on the speaker wire info, much appreciated.
    Last but not least, does my amp test seem okay?
  • F1nut
    It's the connector that you twist, not the piece that you glue into the cabinet.

No, it's the socket you screw to the binding post plate. Not sure why you think it should be glued.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    This one is an excellent choice. Air tight, uses 3M screws/lock washers/nuts to attach.
    https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl4mpxx-uc

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    A different SDA model, but you get the idea.
    8o2ne29ykkkm.jpg

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Right in the description
    Airtight design - optimized for speaker applications

If yours didn't say that in the description it is not.
  • lms

This one is an excellent choice. Air tight, uses 3M screws/lock washers/nuts to attach.
    https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl4mpxx-uc
    Those are the ones I bought.
    In regard to the glue comment, the back side of the original interconnect socket is covered in hot glue which i suspect is to seal it.

• F1nut
    Ah yes, the hotglue is to seal the original socket because it is not air tight.

President of Club Polk