New house, in wall surround speaker installation question

Options
I'm designing and building a house with a 7 channel surround setup in my Great Room. The house is open floor plan and the great room (~25ft x 22ft) has a vaulted ceiling where the ridge is about 20ft high. Regular walls are 9ft. I'm going with RCi 85s for surrounds but I'm not able to put the side surrounds in the walls because of a large window/header on one side and an open walk way on the other. The rear of the room is open to the kitchen which has a normal flat ceiling @9ft.

I hope you are still with me :). I want to mount the speakers in the lower part of the vault ceiling area just above the (wall) top plate. That will be about half way from the floor to the peak. I think this will work well since the sides will be pointing downward at a 45 degree angle (towards the listening area).

Here is my question. The wall cavity behind each of these speakers will be vastly different. I want to make my own speaker baffles inside the wall before drywall goes in. Since the outside dimensions of the RC85is is ~10in x 14in, I was going to use that as the inside measurement of the baffle. How deep should I make the baffle? Is deeper better? I am limited to ~12 in on the one side. Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    In wall speakers are infinite baffle. As long as the front and back wave do not meet, you are doing it right. Wall cavity size is fairly irrelevant

Highly recommend using dual tweeter models for surround speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Resqguy
    Options
    Is it the room size that makes dual tweeters more desirable in my application, or is that more of a general rule?
  • VR3
    Options
    High frequencies are very directional
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Resqguy
    Options
    I purchased low O2 12AWG with fine stands wire and it is installed. All the recommendations were 14AWG but I stepped it up. The tweeters do pivot according to the info on Amazon. All my soldering gear is still packed away in boxes but do you have a link to the xover upgrades. I will have to do those after the house is done. Thanks.
  • VR3
    Options
    Tin plated copper wiring is my recommended choice for any permanent install