SDA 2b Polyfil

Options
I have a set of studio 2b's that I am in the process of upgrading. There is a flat piece of polyfil that extends from the top of the cabinet down to just above the crossover and 2 rolled up pieces that are positioned one behind each MW. Does it all stay when doing all the speaker mods? Only reason I ask is because the 1C's I have does not have the flat piece. They only have the rolled up pieces behind the MW's.

6r49a5fz250x.jpg
hhu088ojqxp8.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Rolled piece's go behind MW to the top of the cabinet. That flat piece is cut looks to go on each side of a divider. That might have been tucked in the back and front of the rolled piece's.
    None should be in the passive area or behind the passive.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is what I had read also, but it looks like the 2b polyfil extends partially down behind the PR. Opened another set I have just to be sure and they are the same. Just wondering what others have seen or done when doing upgrades?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I thought these were SDA-2B speakers.

k1cwjmkqfiez.jpeg

Other than the cabinet, is there any difference between SDA-2 and SDA-2B speakers?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Yea Bud SDA 2 has 3woofers
    SDA 2a had 2- mw6510 woofers only came in a studio cabinet like the black above.
    SDA 2b had 2 woofers 1 was mw6503 stereo and 1 mw6511 for dimensional
    They came in a cabinet like your picture and the black studio further up.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Thanks. Polk’s speaker naming method back then was a bit confusing.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    joebass3 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is what I had read also, but it looks like the 2b polyfil extends partially down behind the PR. Opened another set I have just to be sure and they are the same. Just wondering what others have seen or done when doing upgrades?

Your polyfil has slide down. Shove the rolls all the way up then fold the split piece up at the bottom so none is behind the PR. Use staples to secure in place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ramm440
    Options
    coeuyk2jo2pl.jpeg
    My poly fill was straight down behind the PR. Does this look correct now?
  • ramm440
    Options
    That was the left channel and here is the right. At first it looked like the right channel board had fallen but the right channel board is mounted in a different location? Is this odd?2jt5pjdkmadj.jpeg
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Do as F1nut stated... Iirc on my 2b speakers it did the same. I put my hands in the MW holes & hoisted it up as far as I could lightly to bring up the bottom up some. I used a small staple gun & tacked it up so it was out of the way of the PR. Can you get it up a tad more ? That is much better then it was
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The plate that holds crossover boards are known to come loose. You will need to take screw off back of cabinet so crossover is loose & look it over. If I recall on mine the plastic clip came loose / apart. Easy fix.
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Are you working on both speaker now ? If so you can go by the speaker that has the crossover board attached correctly. It will be screwed in from rear of speaker to back crossover board. Go by the good one
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Strange. In the 1st picture I see the screw hole for the crossover base plate BUT no crossover showing. The 2nd picture looks correct. But maybe need to be repositioned. Maybe someone else will chime in
    Randy/Maine
  • ramm440
    Options
    Yeah boards seem firmly attached but left is high and right is a way low rider
  • ramm440
    Options
    Both crossovers have the screw firmly mounted directly behind the position where they are in the cabinet… so anyone know if this is normal? These are pin - blade 2bs
  • ramm440
    Options
  • boston1450
    Options
    Are the both being held by the original screw ? Or did someone reposition the crossover cause it fell like mine did ? If so is the screw hole filled with something so air doesn't escape ? I'd fix that properly if possible.... Sorry to have many post. I didn't see both pictures when I first posted.
    Randy/Maine
  • ramm440
    ramm440 Posts: 92
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Appears to be a plug down low but its attached where the screw is.

6dtnsi20lp4p.jpeg
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Well maybe I'm wrong here. Where the screw is from back of cabinet is where the crossover plate gets held. F1 & other should know. It's been years since I was inside 2b's
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Last picture is the Left cabinet. So the right cabinet the crossover is lower. Is that also held on by original screw. Just relocated lower. Huh
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    That plug is stock. Right cabinet is strange. I'm OCD & I'm sure it works but I'd have to fix that
    Randy/Maine
  • ramm440
    Options
    I just checked 2 other 2bs I have and both are mounted in the higher position. Maybe one was made on Friday and the other on Monday or someone drank too much tequila!?
  • boston1450
    Options
    Lol. It must have falling & they went in & didn't realize it went up.... is the screw still in up high ? You can possibly try to get it back where it belongs. If it didn't damage plate or ????
    Randy/Maine
  • ramm440
    Options
    Theres no hole in the cabinet for the high position on the right speaker
  • ramm440
    Options
    I guess I will continue finishing the magnet gluing and dynamat. Need to buy a interconnect cable and see how they sound but Im still befuddled! Lol
  • boston1450
    Options
    Interesting. As long as everything is in order I guess that good. Strange still
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Funny thing is. I think back when I had my 2b they were lower. I think... When I went to move them I heard something loose so I opened em up & Xover was flooping around. It was a plastic clip iirc.. I still have them at my oldest daughter & I may just have to find out now
    Randy/Maine
  • ramm440
    Options
    Thanks all input is greatly appreciated. Seems like maybe the original owner took them in for an issue and this was the idk? When I got them I gently pushed the PR in all drivers moved nice and smooth. Then I pushed each driver and they are smooth 6503 and 6511
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The cabinet with the plug is a slightly older version. That hole would have had the blade/blade socket mounted there. Polk did a lot of changes on the fly and used up older versions as they could. I would leave things as they are as there's no harm in having the crossovers in different locations.

The left speaker even has the older sticker on the back.

Shove the polyfill up above the PR and staple it to the cabinet wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ramm440
    Options
    Thanks F1!! I have got a second wind now after I hear your advice…
    Appreciate that!